What Are My Chances? Alien: Director's Cut vs. Theatrical Cut – AvP Galaxy Podcast #177

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 29, 2024, 06:57:32 PM

Author
What Are My Chances? Alien: Director's Cut vs. Theatrical Cut – AvP Galaxy Podcast #177 (Read 4,368 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 177th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download). For our first podcast episode of 2024, regular hosts Corporal Hicks, RidgeTop and Xenomorphine are joined by special community guest Nightmare Asylum to start the year of Alien’s 45th anniversary of discussing the differences between the Director’s Cut and the Theatrical Cut!

What Are My Chances? Alien: Director's Cut vs. Theatrical Cut – AvP Galaxy Podcast #177

We discuss the major differences – added and removed scenes – between the two cuts, our preferences between the two and plenty more!

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunes, PodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, and Spotify! Please be sure to leave a rating and review on whichever platform you're using!

And if you'd rather see our beautiful faces, as always, the video version of the podcast is also available on the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy YouTube channel!

Make sure your browsers are locked into Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien and Predator news! You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. Be sure to join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums as well!

Acid for Blood

Another great episode lads. Apart from the additional scenes I never actually knew of all the little differences between the films. I now need to go and rewatch the theatrical! I've got good memories of watching the Directors Cut in cinemas - I remember the audience laughing at Ash's head scene. That one definitely should have been fixed for the DC.

BlueMarsalis79

Nightmare Asylum

I am happy to have been asked to join! It was a very fun chat and a cool topic to discuss.

Also, apologies for my audio quality - this is actually my first time hearing myself back on that headset and, oof!

Local Trouble

Weird.  For some reason, I always thought NA was a limey. :-\

Nightmare Asylum

BlueMarsalis79

Elmazalman

The original 1979 Theatrical Cut is still my favourite version of the film.

I went to see the Director's Cut twice, back in November, 2003. I enjoyed it (obviously), but didn't agree with the many trims and edits to the film (to accommodate the 'new' material for a more streamlined edit acceptable to modern audiences).

The deletion of the scene with Dallas and MU/TH/UR, and the inclusion of the 'cocoon scene' (with new placement, and sadly truncated) was what really ruined the 2003 cut (for me) - I did, however, appreciate the use of the more polished takes for the deleted scenes (Lambert slap was / is a favourite).

I would have enjoyed the Director's Cut even more - if the bonus material had been added without any edits to the surrounding material - for an extended, rather than alternate cut.   

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Egg morphing all the way!

It's just that much more horrifying and it's much more alien than, say, the Queen and I love the Queen!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Acid for Blood on Jan 29, 2024, 07:53:12 PMI remember the audience laughing at Ash's head scene. That one definitely should have been fixed for the DC.

I do wish they'd fix this too. It's the only real revisionism for Alien I'd accept. lol

Wweyland

A little eggmorphing does not hurt anything. Will check this out.

Acid for Blood

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 30, 2024, 10:08:28 AMI do wish they'd fix this too. It's the only real revisionism for Alien I'd accept. lol

It's the only part of the film when I have to suspend my disbelief. It's a shame because I think a bit of better editing could easily fix it.

oduodu

"eggmorhing all the way"

yes all the way!

maggieloveshopey

Great pod, as usual. Appreciate it may be a bit sensitive, but does anyone have any pointers on how to see the Virtual Assembly cut that gets mentioned? I found a couple of threads here but nothing less than five years old!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed