New LA Times interview with Ridley Scott on Alien.

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, May 30, 2020, 05:07:44 PM

Author
New LA Times interview with Ridley Scott on Alien. (Read 22,392 times)

Kane's other son

It's quite possible his endgame was the Engineers using the alien to fight David's creatures.

Drukathi

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 30, 2020, 05:07:44 PM
who, why, and for what purpose is the next idea, I think."

Didn't Ridley answer these questions in the Covenant?

Kradan

Guess not

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Drukathi on Jun 03, 2020, 07:57:41 AM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 30, 2020, 05:07:44 PM
who, why, and for what purpose is the next idea, I think."

Didn't Ridley answer these questions in the Covenant?

Apparently not the purpose. Though I'm not sure what mileage is there outside of "David hates humans, is frustrated by his inability to procreate, and this is his f**ked up way of expressing it."

Nukiemorph

This reminds me of when he asked who made the xenomorph and for what purpose. His answer was David.

This makes me concerned that maybe he is actually planning to establish David or Walter as the space jockey...

Corporal Hicks

Honestly, that's my main fear about Scott doing another film. I do not want that, and I fully expect him to do it.

Janek

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 03, 2020, 09:51:50 AM
Honestly, that's my main fear about Scott doing another film. I do not want that, and I fully expect him to do it.

I tend to agree. As much as I would love to see a new Alien film I would rather let it rest than David/Walter being the legendary space jockey.

The Cruentus

Look on the bright side, once Ridley is done with his prequels, perhaps then there can be a soft reboot that has a different origin for the Aliens while keeping the original movies canon.

SpaceKase

Give us your keys, Ridley, we're calling you an Uber, mate.

cristiann_88

Weird.... funny to think that almost 10 years ago, Ridley coming back to the Alien universe with Prometheus couldn't get anny better.... Now I'm thinkin that is best for him to stay away from the franchise

Hudson

Disney does, in fact, have the power to hire someone who is not Ridley Scott to direct the next Alien prequel. And it is not too late for them to begin investigating others. Maybe they could hire a woman? Just a thought. The primary character in all 6 Alien films is a woman, and never once has a woman been hired to write or direct the movies. People have been patting Fox on the pack for decades for creating a feminst action icon, so maybe they could put their money where their mouth is and be feminists now that different people are in charge. Ridley Scott is stale for this franchise. It's not going to be anything BUT 'interesting and questionable' with him. There are other filmmakers who can turn whatever y'all mean by that phrase into something coherent and serviceable, and Scott is not one of those people. He's already shown us twice.

FatBrando

FatBrando

He's lost passion for the creature. I still don't get why he wants to keep making these films when he very clearly thinks the concept is played out. If the Alien isn't as effective as it once was, it's because (and we've seen it a million times before with horror) the filmmakers has over explained everything, completely removing the mystery of the thing. Yes, "who and why" are interesting questions, but it's that they remain unanswered that keeps us interested. Giving us all the information makes things familiar and removes the very "alien" essence of the thing.

These films need retconned back to the 2nd film. As far as I'm concerned the only canon films are Alien and Aliens. All do respect to Mr. Scott, but if the Alien is played out, he's at least partially to blame.

Rush Hour Rambo

I thank him for what he's done with the franchise and the original is a classic but now I'd want him nowhere near any more Alien movies.

He seems tired of the subject and as a result wants to take it down avenues people aren't really that interested in apart from himself. He's been indulged twice now - no more please.

It's time for new blood who can bring a freshness to the whole enterprise.

Hudson

Quote from: FatBrando on Jun 03, 2020, 02:08:34 PM
He's lost passion for the creature. I still don't get why he wants to keep making these films when he very clearly thinks the concept is played out. If the Alien isn't as effective as it once was, it's because (and we've seen it a million times before with horror) the filmmakers has over explained everything, completely removing the mystery of the thing. Yes, "who and why" are interesting questions, but it's that they remain unanswered that keeps us interested. Giving us all the information makes things familiar and removes the very "alien" essence of the thing.

These films need retconned back to the 2nd film. As far as I'm concerned the only canon films are Alien and Aliens. All do respect to Mr. Scott, but if the Alien is played out, he's at least partially to blame.

It's almost as if the original films are successful because they are stories about interesting characters with minimal emphasis on bending over backwards to answer every nitpicky question asked by the fans.

PAS Spinelli

Please don't, Alien was way better as the vague cargo of this mysterious ship and pilot, trying to explain it not only made it look worse, the explanation itself (being that it was made by David) made it terrible

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed