USA Today's 2017 Movie preview includes new photo from Covenant.

Started by Anthony, Jan 08, 2017, 08:39:45 PM

Author
USA Today's 2017 Movie preview includes new photo from Covenant. (Read 22,811 times)

windebieste

Looks like Scott is going for a practical and easy to recognise philosophy regarding the weapons for this one.  I think it's a good choice - the familiarity will contrast dramatically against the Alien content. 

I see this as serving as a kind of a metaphor for reliance and safety by being protected by the practical and realistic vs the oncoming forces of the fantastical and the incomprehensible nature of the unknown.  This is a great way to go as Scott is already demonstrating a desire to fit these movies out with symbolism and deeper meaning.  I don't see why combat shouldn't be any different.

You just have to take a glance at that weapon to know what it does; while at the same time, the targets - presumably a neomorph or other Alien - are wildly unknown still.  It's a safe bet the the 'morphs in this movie aren't going to be invulnerable to ballistic weapons such as we see here, but that still doesn't tell us much about them in so many ways.

-Windebieste.

PVTDukeMorrison

The rifles they're using here compared to the weapons used in Aliens also isn't that far of a stretch, weapons of war can advance tremendously in just a few short years. Look at Austria for example, in WW2 they were using bolt action Kar98ks. 38 years later and the Austrians are equipped with Steyr Aug's

skhellter

film looks like a Stargate SG-1 vs Aliens fanfic.

NickisSmart

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 08, 2017, 09:03:33 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Jan 08, 2017, 09:00:57 PM
Man, Ridley should've asked Cameron to draw up some guns for him.

Yeah, I'm still not digging on the weaponry in this. That said, I do like the looks of that AUG from this angle.

I have to admit, I'm not, either, but pictures are one thing; film is another. I imagine everything may look better with the Ridley lighting treatment, and in motion. Is this film gonna be in IMAX? And VR? I can't imagine what the final viewing experience will be like, under those circumstances.

D88M

i hope there is not a lot of shooting and action in this movie, i would prefer if there is suspense, horror, and lots of running,  barely any weapons and having to outsmart the creatures rather than just shooting them

Spartan1910

I honestly really like the bare bones looks of that AUG. The M4s look the same too and I love the barebones looks with the long barrel. But like others have said we're close to what... Like 75 years from Aliens? I could see the Pulse Rifle coming in like 50 years from this.

Rolando

I do believe Ridley Scott  is way too proud to be taking stock in the James Cameron continuity/canon.

LiquidSentry

I doubt Ridley's trilogy will feature them, if they do its in the 3rd one maybe.

Astronoë

Astronoë

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 08, 2017, 09:14:55 PM
I wouldn't have wanted a Pulse Rifle. I wouldn't have objected to something like what they explored in the Prometheus concept art -

Though what they had was an astronaut suit rather than an exoskeleton? so wouldn't have military grade protection..

In Aliens the marines cut down on the weaponry so not to damage the nucear cooling, what excuse did they have for this movie or Prometheus?...

Scorpio

Let's face the facts - the pulse rifle is retro 80s future weaponry, bulky with LED lights.  :P  This gun looks better.  And Waterston looks the part even better than Sigourney did.

Corporal Hicks

Hemi

Hemi

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 09, 2017, 05:16:47 AM
Let's face the facts - the pulse rifle is retro 80s future weaponry, bulky with LED lights.  :P  This gun looks better. 

Nah...Ill take a PR over this anytime. It's ok and it will do, but it will never have that iconic look and feel of the pulse rifle. Designer's point of view; I don't think the design is "80's retro" at all and it would still look great in an Alien movie today.

QuoteAnd Waterston looks the part even better than Sigourney did.

haha

The Bonus Situation

Daniels: "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!"

:D

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 08, 2017, 09:02:56 PM
"The comments largely covers what Katherine Waterston has already said in the past about Daniels' character developments and any similarities between her character and Ripley."

There shouldn't be any comparisons between Ripley and  Daniels or indeed any new female character in general, its not good for development or for fandom opinion of said character, originality is the way to go, no one should try to emulate Ripley because it will fail and fans will hate that character for being a carbon copy. Lex and that one from Requiem anyone?

Tis a nice picture though.

I don't know man, Lex didn't seem anything like Ripley to me. I mean just because she's a female lead it doesn't automatically turn her into a Ripley clone. Especially Shaw, so many people are yelling that she is a Ripley clone, its ridiculous. They're totally different characters IMHO.

cliffhanger

shaw was nothing ripley-esque. just a women in 'space' in peril. she was much more panic-y. though i must say she is comparable to ripley in alien (1). ripley only got really 'badass' in aliens (2). we'll see about waterston, but i don't think she's at all ripley-esque from what i see.

Ingwar

Ingwar

I think it's the same location.

Just noticed that Daniels holds different weapon.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed