Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 03, 2019, 11:27:02 PM

Author
Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership! (Read 82,919 times)

Samhain13

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 19, 2019, 05:35:44 PM
Shower scene (and most of the third act stuff on the Covenant) was sloppy/rushed.

Now that made me roll my eyes. Look I'm fan of slasher movies but that doesn't fit in Alien.

"Oh there is an alien on ship and a couple decided to have sex right now, of course they have to die, they broke the horror movie rules. Go punish them Alien"

Even AVPR managed to not pull that slasher movie cliché. It had already enough on it I guess. And that was the sole reason those characters were even there for, they barely had any lines before dying, you could edit them out you wouldn't feel a difference on the movie.

SM

They had no reason to believe there was an Alien on the ship.

Samhain13

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 19, 2019, 12:34:57 AM
Ridley ain't getting any younger.

Fassbender either.

Quote from: razeak on Aug 19, 2019, 01:02:50 AM
Star Wars had one flop and got other projects pulled.

Alien has never made that kind of money, so I would anticipate even less tolerance.

Two different franchises. Comparisons are unnecessary as SW is PG space opera when Alien is R-rated sci-fi horror (or at least supposed to be). Alien will never make as much money as SW.

Samhain13

Quote from: Ingwar on Aug 19, 2019, 08:44:13 PM
Alien will never make as much money as SW.

That's exactly why I'm worried about the series's future. Might not be up to Disney standards.

Ingwar

I wouldn't go that far. Every franchise has different box office expectations and Disney knows that. What's important is the profit. Besides, Alien movies don't cost as much as SW. We're talking more or less 100 millions.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Ingwar on Aug 19, 2019, 08:44:13 PM
Quote from: razeak on Aug 19, 2019, 01:02:50 AM
Star Wars had one flop and got other projects pulled.

Alien has never made that kind of money, so I would anticipate even less tolerance.

Two different franchises. Comparisons are unnecessary as SW is PG space opera when Alien is R-rated sci-fi horror (or at least supposed to be). Alien will never make as much money as SW.

Yes, but it still has to make money theatrically, not lose money.

It's all relative right? Ratings, space opera, scifi horror, they all have no relevance on profit and loss. Just risk assessment. And a poor theatrical performance against production and promotional budget needs correction regardless of genre. Not doing so would be a business dereliction of duty.

But if you want to go smaller franchise use the Terminator Genisys Trilogy that was supposed to be accompanied with a streaming television series and it was all axed after a dissppointing performing film one.

SM

Quote from: Samhain13 on Aug 19, 2019, 08:41:59 PM
Never said those two did.

Then why link two unrelated events?

Kimarhi

Theyll make alien pg13 and to try and tap into avatar casuals.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: SM on Aug 19, 2019, 10:27:08 PM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Aug 19, 2019, 08:41:59 PM
Never said those two did.

Then why link two unrelated events?

Because a couple getting killed during/after sex is a cliché on slasher movies. Also the nudity. Audience is aware that the bad guy/monster is on the area, irrelevant characters that had been pretty much ignored until now conveniently start to have sex because that's all why they are there for, if you have sex in a horror movie you have to die. Sure in some slasher movies there is context for that but it still became a trend for the genre in general. And I didn't it had any place on the movie.

The scene felt cheap and unnecessary, plus how rushed the last act happened didn't help it, sure the alien looked good on that shot but then again I expected alien movies to be better than resort to that cliché. Same reason I give a hard time to AVPR's high school clichés.

SM

They're neither ignored nor irrelevant.

Samhain13

Samhain13

They had the least amount of lines. There were the quite forgettable, if not for the sex scene I wouldn't remember they existed. They could be removed and the movie wouldn't change much. Besides that's not the point. Even some more important characters within a slasher movie can fall on that cliché. But it usually goes to the ones with the least screen time.

SM

That'd be Ledward and Ankor.

Samhain13

Samhain13

I'm suprised you remember their names. Least amount of lines or screentime? I guess Ankor was the most irrevelant background one, only realized he was there when he died and now that you mentioned him but I think Ledward had more screentime than the couple, he does takes a while to die but then again I can't say for sure. Besides the movie needed a man and woman for that cliché.

Kimarhi

I actually would've liked it better had the security team not been around and the movie focused on the couples actually pulling their own security. 

Kind of sorta happens anyways, but taking out the five or six extra characters and focusing more on the couples would've made their deaths less Weirzbowski and Crowe I reckon. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed