Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 300,385 times)

Scorpio

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Jan 02, 2017, 05:29:44 AM
Quote from: Kelgaard on Jan 02, 2017, 03:52:20 AM
It's possible, of course.  I think I heard that Neill had a story with no Ripley before talking with Weaver.  He may still go with that, if Weaver is too wrapped up with the Avatar sequels.

I also wonder if it's possible, that Covenant could be too successful for Alien 5.  Fox may decide to skip it and move ahead with the prequel trilogy.

I would love to see what his original idea without Ripley is. I wonder what new character he had thought up then and what they'd add to the story. This is what intrigues me and I hope to see him go down that route. It will add some interesting diversity.

Ripley's a great character, but she's had lots of movies. I'd love to see more of these unsung heroes stand up to the nightmarish Alien.

I liked Shaw despite her flaws and am excited to see Daniels in Covenant.

Daniels should be in Alien 5 with some new characters.  Why resurrect the dead when you have great characters already?  They could make it work if she went into hypersleep after Alien Covenant, and she wakes up during the events in Alien 5.  I seriously don't know why Fox isn't pursuing this, maybe they'll see the reaction to A:C first.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 03, 2017, 02:53:34 PM
Quote from: echobbase79 on Dec 31, 2016, 08:44:24 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 31, 2016, 03:08:10 PM
Quote from: echobbase79 on Dec 30, 2016, 11:50:13 PM
I'm an agreement with you though. I hated that Hicks and Newt died in Alien3 but they did. Going back seems silly. It reminds me of when Alien: Resurrection was getting made and there were rumors that the third film was going to be a dream. I wish Resurrection was a dream.

Alien3 as a dream? You cannot take seriously Alien movie if it's a dream. Alien3 happened and Hicks, Newt and Ripley are dead :).

Yeah, there was some rumors where Ripley wakes from cryo sleep and Hicks and Newt are still alive. I don't know how serious it was, but they were reporting it in big Sci-Fi magazines like Cinescape and Sci-Fi Universe.

Was Chappie any good? I've never seen it.

It was ok. Nothing special. Copley and Chappie as a character was great though.

I honestly have never seen any of his work. I should be getting District 9 in the mail any day now. I watched the trailer for Chappie and the robot looks like the best part.

If this does get made I'd like to see them go back to the Gateway Station from Aliens. I think the Gibson script had that in it didn't it? There were some great action scenes in that script even though I wasn't a fan of the reproduction in it.

SM

Gibson set his script on Anchorpoint Station from memory.

echobbase79

Quote from: SM on Jan 04, 2017, 01:09:15 AM
Gibson set his script on Anchorpoint Station from memory.

Yeah that's what it was. Just went back and checked.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 31, 2016, 10:51:23 PM
Quote from: SM on Dec 31, 2016, 10:30:30 PM
QuoteWhat for?

'Cos Blomkamp pitched them an idea, with Weaver on side, and Fox liked it enough that they thought it'd make them money.

Same reason any movie gets made.

You don't have to tell me that. I know it's about money. I wasn't asking about it. I asked: what for? Why doing this and messing with cannon?
Besides, because Fox like an idea doesn't mean it'll bring them money. It might be a flop.

The reason to mess with this canon is simple.  Nobody wants to touch it with a ten foot pole.  Nobody wants to continue making films in a post-Resurrection continuity.  The studios know that.  So its a dead end.  The latter 2 films in the series are fun alternate reality takes on the series, but letting them go will resolve the "log-jam" that has happened in the series, and if done well, will allow the series to continue in a more interesting direction.

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 01, 2017, 09:18:28 PM
Quote from: Kelgaard on Jan 01, 2017, 12:10:41 AM
We want a good film.

If that film serves as a replacement for AlienĀ³, then even better.

But Alien3 is a great movie.

Alien 3 is an awesome movie.  I love it as an alternate timeline.  I do believe that an even better story can be made though that honors Ripley's motivations from the 2 main films in a more satisfying way.

BishopShouldGo

Perfect-Organism I am now a fan of you. Very rational of you to set aside your partiality for Alien 3 and recognize that something more satisfactory can be mined from the foundation set down by the first two movies.

OpenMaw

I like the Alien 3 we got in a lot of ways... But after having read the second draft of Gibson's script, I felt rather bummed. I think that would have been the overall best script to go with. It would have touched on the last conventional plot line available - the company getting their hands on the Alien. The only other idea that would have really been satisfying would have been the Alien Homeworld idea, but I somehow doubt that was ever seriously considered for reasons of budget... Though I just imagine an entire Giger-planet with aliens all over it and can't help but think that something like "The Lost World" with Giger/Winston creature designs would have been such a compelling high note for the series to end on.

BishopShouldGo

Could've easily done that with alien 3 or alien 4's budget in their respective years. Just would have had to be creative.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jan 04, 2017, 04:19:47 AM
Perfect-Organism I am now a fan of you. Very rational of you to set aside your partiality for Alien 3 and recognize that something more satisfactory can be mined from the foundation set down by the first two movies.

Thanks BishopShouldGo!   ;)  Cheers mate!

I've never come at the retcon idea from a perspective of hating Alien 3.  I was actually just watching it today and I still think it's fantastic.  I'm just all for a different continuity because I believe something different might have prevented the series from losing momentum.  I would be up for seeing a bunch of alternate takes on the series, even with Prometheus, which is a film I really love.  If several years or even decades go by and somebody wants to tell a different tale of the alien origins that actually features "real" space jockeys, a Gigeresque homeworld, or a full on earth invasion, I'd be up for that too.  And you know what?  I'd still love Prometheus.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 04, 2017, 04:32:47 AM
I like the Alien 3 we got in a lot of ways... But after having read the second draft of Gibson's script, I felt rather bummed. I think that would have been the overall best script to go with. It would have touched on the last conventional plot line available - the company getting their hands on the Alien. The only other idea that would have really been satisfying would have been the Alien Homeworld idea, but I somehow doubt that was ever seriously considered for reasons of budget... Though I just imagine an entire Giger-planet with aliens all over it and can't help but think that something like "The Lost World" with Giger/Winston creature designs would have been such a compelling high note for the series to end on.

From memory, Gibson's second draft was my favorite followed by Twohy's. Funnily enough, Covenant does seem to be taking inspiration from Gibson's first draft and Twohy's (through Spaihts').

I was surprised they never explored the Derelict or Homeworld angle until Prometheus. Was always the most intriguing direction for me.

Ingwar

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 04, 2017, 02:10:39 AM
Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 31, 2016, 10:51:23 PM
Quote from: SM on Dec 31, 2016, 10:30:30 PM
QuoteWhat for?

'Cos Blomkamp pitched them an idea, with Weaver on side, and Fox liked it enough that they thought it'd make them money.

Same reason any movie gets made.

You don't have to tell me that. I know it's about money. I wasn't asking about it. I asked: what for? Why doing this and messing with cannon?
Besides, because Fox like an idea doesn't mean it'll bring them money. It might be a flop.

The reason to mess with this canon is simple.  Nobody wants to touch it with a ten foot pole.  Nobody wants to continue making films in a post-Resurrection continuity.  The studios know that.  So its a dead end.  The latter 2 films in the series are fun alternate reality takes on the series, but letting them go will resolve the "log-jam" that has happened in the series, and if done well, will allow the series to continue in a more interesting direction.

To make an Alien movie doesn't mean you have to follow post-Resurrection continuity. There are some many great ideas about Alien saga. Look at Aliens: Defiance. Instead of messing with canon they can easily make stand-alone Alien movie(s).

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 04, 2017, 09:13:39 AMFrom memory, Gibson's second draft was my favorite followed by Twohy's.

I'd probably flip those two, but they're definitely the best of the unmade scripts. My main issue with Gibson's (including draft no. 2) is his silly Thingliens. It's too much of a jump in the creature's abilities from what is seen in the first two movies for me. It's always felt a little bit like desperation to one-up the creature's established lifecycle.

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 04, 2017, 10:48:07 AMTo make an Alien movie doesn't mean you have to follow post-Resurrection continuity. There are some many great ideas about Alien saga. Look at Aliens: Defiance.

Exactly. The idea that the only other option is post-Res is very narrow-minded and restrictive.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 04, 2017, 10:55:39 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 04, 2017, 09:13:39 AMFrom memory, Gibson's second draft was my favorite followed by Twohy's.

I'd probably flip those two, but they're definitely the best of the unmade scripts. My main issue with Gibson's (including draft no. 2) is his silly Thingliens. It's too much of a jump in the creature's abilities from what is seen in the first two movies for me. It's always felt a little bit like desperation to one-up the creature's established lifecycle.

It's been a good few years since I read the 2nd draft but I thought it removed a lot of the crazy spore stuff?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

There's just one as a secondary antagonist as opposed to hundreds of them running amok. There are a couple of others that get killed before they can become a threat.

Ingwar

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 04, 2017, 10:55:39 AM
Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 04, 2017, 10:48:07 AMTo make an Alien movie doesn't mean you have to follow post-Resurrection continuity. There are some many great ideas about Alien saga. Look at Aliens: Defiance.

Exactly. The idea that the only other option is post-Res is very narrow-minded and restrictive.

It's very narrow-minded. They should abandon that idea and go into other direction making stand-alone Alien movie(s). One day I would love to see film adaptation of Aliens: Defiance .

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed