Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 300,340 times)

Russ

FFS. I'm getting really bored of this constantly antagonistic attitude.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

While I agree a lot of what Blomkamp has said implied retcon, no one else (specifically Weaver) is saying the same thing. And the studio has said nowt.

Quote from: Russ on Feb 27, 2015, 02:56:51 PMFFS. I'm getting really bored of this constantly antagonistic attitude.

What antagonistic attitude? Show me where the new film has been confirmed as a retcon. It hasn't. But some people are acting like it has. And clearly the situation is currently far more fluid than that.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 27, 2015, 02:57:34 PM
While I agree a lot of what Blomkamp has said implied retcon, no one else (specifically Weaver) is saying the same thing. And the studio has said nowt.

Yeah, I know.  I was fighting the assumption until he said Ripley 8 wouldn't be in it. That was the last nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 27, 2015, 02:57:34 PM

She did mention Ripley floating in space, however.

Russ

I genuinely enjoy discussing these movies; that's what I come on here. What don't enjoy is having to debate semantics with someone who enjoys being obtuse. "Show me where it says this," "they never said that." The gist of my post was that there are confusing messages. But you knew that.

Anyway: ignore.

xeno-kaname

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 27, 2015, 01:08:59 PM
Quote from: Uncle Hernando on Feb 27, 2015, 12:52:38 PMRipley can die without Weaver dying, they shouldn't be mutually exclusive, it's just sad that nobody is up to the task of writing another character in to fill her shoes.

Yeah, this. It's a lot easier the just stick Ripley on the poster than develop someone new.
That's neither here nor there. Blomkamp wasn't working on a script for Fox. He just wrote in the characters he loved. And then he brought the idea to them. I'm sure the Fox executives are pretty happy with being able to splash her image all over the place though. If it was a team of writers working for Fox trying to think up a script then yeah your statement would have some possible weight but it doesn't apply in this situation.

And I stated in another poster, keeping existing characters interesting and writing appropriate and escalating challenges for them is as hard as creating new characters and challenges. You get to skip some background and origins but you get the extra pressure of doing them justice. In this particular case, HUGE pressure. These are legendary characters.

DoomRulz

Retcon or not, it doesn't matter. No matter what the finished film ends up being, fanboys will be screaming for Blomkamp's head on a stick because this or that or other was changed/left out.

Son Of Kane

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 27, 2015, 03:10:11 PM
Retcon or not, it doesn't matter. No matter what the finished film ends up being, fanboys will be screaming for Blomkamp's head on a stick because this or that or other was changed/left out.

But if the film gets a +85% on RT (The film is good.) it won't matter who says what.

Nightmare Asylum

At the end of the day, all that really matters is that Chappie comes out in six days. :)

DoomRulz

Who wants to see the Dog Alien return besides me?

Russ

Quote from: xeno-kaname on Feb 27, 2015, 03:05:52 PM
In this particular case, HUGE pressure. These are legendary characters.

I was talking to my mate about this today (and Prometheus). In a way, I almost felt sorry for Ridley Scott (as much as someone can feel sorry for someone who's living his lifelong dream and making a gazillion dollars doing it and has two of the top-rated sci-fi movies ever in his locker)  - the expectation on Prometheus was so huge. Ultimately, it was (for me) OK/pretty good.

This is a similar thing for NB: regardless of "Chappie's" merits or lack thereof, this is a massive, massive task. Moreso than the directors of 3 and 4 faced, I think. The internet age and all that - the concept art went viral, sites, blogs, forums are hanging on to every single word that's said about it.

If this is even "very good" I fear it won't be enough. It's a massive gamble for NB, but the one thing is that he's young enough to have the balls to do it, he has great style and clearly loves the franchise.

That's if it happens (as I say above), with Sigourney Weaver's comments on the latest (or at least latest released, I don't know when it was recorded) interview, it now doesn't sound like it's a done deal. But who knows, she could just have being cautious?

(DoomRulz says this far more eloquently and succinctly than I do as I was writing this)

DoomRulz

I also believe, and I'm saying this based on what I've seen on these boards, people will ultimately care more about the Alien and its portrayal in the film. Hardly surprising when consider the last couple of Alien-related outings weren't that friendly towards the creature.

Son Of Kane

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 27, 2015, 03:17:06 PM
Who wants to see the Dog Alien return besides me?

Perhaps, different variations if we can see dead animals in the same shot.

If the route he goes for is "Even MORE Aliens"- just hope to all that exists and doesn't that he doesn't include the A:R style Aliens.

KiramidHead

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 27, 2015, 03:14:25 PM
At the end of the day, all that really matters is that Chappie comes out in six days. :)

Chappie got gangsta

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Feb 27, 2015, 03:13:33 PM

But if the film gets a +85% on RT (The film is good.) it won't matter who says what.

Undoubtedly. I'm gonna be miffed if it is a retcon. But if it turns out to be awesome, then I'll be fokken ecstatic.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed