Gladiator II

Started by Ingwar, Nov 01, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Author
Gladiator II (Read 44,184 times)

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 14, 2023, 02:52:39 PMI've already read the book forty years ago:  ;D

https://comicsagogo.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/asterix-and-the-british.jpg
I love Asterix since my childhood! Even got my kids the Playmobile versions.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Wweyland on Apr 26, 2023, 11:12:43 AM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 14, 2023, 02:52:39 PMI've already read the book forty years ago:  ;D

https://comicsagogo.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/asterix-and-the-british.jpg
I love Asterix since my childhood! Even got my kids the Playmobile versions.

Well, unlike with Marmite you at least didn't have to google Asterix to find out what it was all about.  :P

Always thought the comics were more of a European thing.

ace3g

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Here's the full article:

Quote from: DeadlineParamount's 'Gladiator' Sequel's Cast Grows As Connie Nielsen Closes Deal To Return As Lucilla While 'Stranger Things' Breakout Joseph Quinn Lands Emperor Caracalla Role.

EXCLUSIVE: The highly-anticipated Gladiator sequel continues to add to its already impressive cast as sources tell Deadline Connie Nielsen has closed her deal to return, while Joseph Quinn is in negotiations to play Emperor Caracalla in the untitled pic for Paramount. They join Paul Mescal, who will star as Lucius, Barry Keoghan and Denzel Washington. Ridley Scott is returning to direct.

The new film follows the 2000 blockbuster Gladiator, which earned more than $460 million in worldwide box office and was nominated for 12 Academy Awards, winning five including Best Picture.

The role of Maximus, the Roman general-turned-gladiator, was a career-changer for Russell Crowe, not only delivering him the Best Actor Oscar but also launching him to the top of every leading-man list. Once it was made clear last year that the sequel would be Scott's next movie, every male actor in town that fit the profile began chasing the part.

Scott also will produce, along with Scott Free President Michael Pruss as well as Doug Wick & Lucy Fisher via Red Wagon Entertainment. David Scarpa penned the script. Also returning from the original film are John Mathieson (Director of Photography), Arthur Max (Production Designer), and Janty Yates (Costume Designer). Paramount Pictures has dated the film for Nov. 22, 2024.

The first film was co-production between Universal and DreamWorks, and while DreamWorks will not be involved in the sequel, Universal has the right to partner again when the project is packaged.

Since so many characters were killed off in the first film and it's been so long since that pic premiered, there weren't a ton of familiar faces to choose from when it came to legacy cast members returning for this sequel. This is why it was so important to Scott and the studio that Nielsen's character return for this sequel and made sure she was a part of its plans from the start of development. Not only is Nielsen the main love interest to Maximus in the first film she is also the mother to Lucius, who is now the main character in this film, and that mother-son relationship is expected to play a big part of the film's story arc.

As for Quinn, his star has been on the rise following his scene stealing role as Eddie Munson in the most season of Netflix's hit series Stranger Things. Paramount was quick to see his talent and offered him a starring role in A Quiet Place spin-off A Quiet Place: Day One, which just drew a ton of buzz at this week's CinemaCon. Insiders close to that production say early footage from the film blew away execs with how he held his own alongside Oscar winner Lupita Nyong'o, who stars in the pic.

Besides Stranger Things, Quinn was also recently seen in BBC One's Howards End limited series as well as BBC One's Les Miserables. Nielsen will next be seen in Ava Duvernay's Caste limited series

He is repped by CAA, the Curtis Brown Group and Goodman, Genow Schenkman Smelkinson & Christopher. Nielsen is repped by Lasher Group, UTA, The Artists Partnership and Lichter, Grossman, Nichols, Adler, Feldman & Clark.

Quite a surprise here:

QuoteAlso returning from the original film are John Mathieson (Director of Photography)

Is Ridley going back to shooting on film or is Mathieson doing digital now?

Spoiler
QuoteThe ancient sources portray Caracalla as a tyrant and as a cruel leader, an image that has survived into modernity. Modern works continue to portray Caracalla as an evil ruler, painting him as one of the most tyrannical of all Roman emperors.

In 216, Caracalla began a campaign against the Parthian Empire. He did not see this campaign through to completion due to his assassination by a disaffected soldier in 217. Macrinus succeeded him as emperor three days later.
[close]

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 28, 2023, 06:24:35 PMIs Ridley going back to shooting on film or is Mathieson doing digital now?

Digital for sure. I cannot imagine Scott going back to film. Also, Mathieson has shot in digital before.

I wonder why Wolski is out.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 29, 2023, 08:16:44 AM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 28, 2023, 06:24:35 PMIs Ridley going back to shooting on film or is Mathieson doing digital now?

Digital for sure. I cannot imagine Scott going back to film. Also, Mathieson has shot in digital before.

I wonder why Wolski is out.

I actually just remembered Scott worked with Mathieson fairly recently on the cancelled Vatican series.

Maybe Scott wanted the same look for the sequel as the first film? Mathieson's style seems a litte harder, more contrasty and edgier than Wolksi's softer more painterly style. Mathieson is quite good with edge lighting. Kingdom of Heaven is one of his best.

Also noticed Wolkski has been working on other films of late where previously he seemed to work exclusively for Scott since Prometheus. Got an Oscar nomination recently for News of the World which I don't think he would have got while still working for Scott.

With Scott being such a very strong visual director and being behind the camera all the time, I think it can sometimes be hard to tell how much of the cinematography is Scott's work and how much is his DoP's work.

Same goes for production design. Since Blade Runner most top production designers have shied away from working for Scott because they know they'd merely be following orders rather than giving them.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 29, 2023, 08:50:49 AMSame goes for production design. Since Blade Runner most top production designers have shied away from working for Scott because they know they'd merely be following orders rather than giving them.
Production designers don't give orders to directors. They might feel they have less creative input but that's a far cry from giving orders.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: SiL on Apr 29, 2023, 10:38:39 AM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 29, 2023, 08:50:49 AMSame goes for production design. Since Blade Runner most top production designers have shied away from working for Scott because they know they'd merely be following orders rather than giving them.
Production designers don't give orders to directors. They might feel they have less creative input but that's a far cry from giving orders.

Lol, where did I say production designers gave orders to directors?  :laugh:

The director is top of the food chain with regards to creative decisions on a film (or at least he should be).

Traditionally, the director tells his production designer he wants a certain setting and then the production designer figures out how it will look and gives his art department (concept artists, draftsmen, set designers, construction workers, carpenters, painters etc.) the orders to make it so.

With Ridley the production designer's role is almost defunct because the production designer is merely carrying out Scott's very specific orders, turning his detailed sketches and reference photos into actual props and sets. He is no longer actually designing anything anymore, merely following Scott's orders.

Not to belittle the work of Arthur Max, Chris Seegers, Laurence G. Paul and all the other production designers who have worked for Scott. Obviously there are still areas where they have full creative control given the workload of a motion picture.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 29, 2023, 08:50:49 AMAlso noticed Wolkski has been working on other films of late where previously he seemed to work exclusively for Scott since Prometheus. Got an Oscar nomination recently for News of the World which I don't think he would have got while still working for Scott.

With Scott being such a very strong visual director and being behind the camera all the time, I think it can sometimes be hard to tell how much of the cinematography is Scott's work and how much is his DoP's work.

True ... but The Last Duel looks amazing and better cinematographically than News of the World and didn't even get nomination. I truly don't understands Oscars.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 29, 2023, 02:40:10 PMTrue ... but The Last Duel looks amazing and better than News of the World and didn't even get nomination. I truly don't understands Oscars.

Yeah, he even said he thought The Last Duel was his best work ever, and that was filmed after News of the World.

But like I said, I suspect the Academy might not exactly be sure of how much of it might be Scott's cinematography or influence and how much of it his own.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 29, 2023, 02:48:18 PMBut like I said, I suspect the Academy might not exactly be sure of how much of it might be Scott's cinematography or influence and how much of it his own.

Yeah, then why Kaminski won two Oscars (plus four other nominations working with Spielberg) for Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan? :)  Was it him or was he influenced by Spielberg who is very visual director as well? At the end it's team work and collaboration between two. Seems like the Academy is very biased and knows shit.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 29, 2023, 02:57:50 PMYeah, then why Kaminski won two Oscars (plus four other nominations working with Spielberg) for Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan? :)  Was it him or was he influenced by Spielberg who is very visual director as well? At the end it's team work and collaboration between two. Seems like the Academy is very biased and knows shit.

I think Spielberg is a much more balanced director than Scott. He is very good directing actors whereas Scott would mostly just leave them to their own devices while he incessantly fiddles with the camera and lighting. Something that really irked Harrison Ford on the Blade Runner set.

Sure, Spielberg is also a very visual director but not to the same obsessive and finicky degree that Scott is.

Also, as one film journalist once pointed out, Scott is highly respected in the film industry but not generally beloved.

Could be he has made some powerful enemies at the Academy!  :laugh:

Ingwar

Ingwar

How can one not love Papa Ridley? :)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

He has chilled a bit in his old age, but like James Cameron he was quite a tyrant on set at times in the past. :)

"Take no prisoners, apologize for nothing, be assertive" - Ridley Scott.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed