New Prometheus featurette : Origins

Started by Darkoo, May 09, 2012, 11:02:09 AM

Author
New Prometheus featurette : Origins (Read 44,163 times)

Darkoo

Darkoo

Vickers

Thanks for posting this.

Master

Lot`s of new shoots in it. Great, thanks for posting.

darkbladeclan6438

i guess shaw gets stuck on the moon after all

Winkie Bear

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

awesome

Eva

Eva

Thx Darkoo - great find  8)

Made this with the most significant new shots

Spoiler
[close]

Something doesn't add up with Ridley mentioning the planet as Z2R (it's a star - not a planetoid) and mentioning Io, which is a Jupiter moon - or it's edited out of context or something...

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Having said that, "Zeta II Reticuli is a moon just off Io" is total arse-wipe. Well spotted Eva.

Zeta II Reticuli is a real star about 32 light years from our sun. And Io is a small rocky moon of Jupiter!  Pfff

Also, rather naughty to have a moon in an inclined orbit so near the rings - gravitational torques would bend the rings, or more likely scatter ring material inwards, where it will enter the atmosphere, or scatter it outwards. Who was the science advisor I wonder...?

Kev Loaf

Quote from: ucdom on May 09, 2012, 11:31:29 AM
Having said that, "Zeta II Reticuli is a moon just off Io" is total arse-wipe. Well spotted Eva.

Zeta II Reticuli is a real star about 32 light years from our sun. And Io is a small rocky moon of Jupiter!  Pfff

Also, rather naughty to have a moon in an inclined orbit so near the rings - gravitational torques would bend the rings, or more likely scatter ring material inwards, where it will enter the atmosphere, or scatter it outwards. Who was the science advisor I wonder...?

how in gods name do you guys know this information? you seem to know more about the universe then RS? lol

Winkie Bear

Quote from: Kev Loaf on May 09, 2012, 11:36:58 AM

how in gods name do you guys know this information? you seem to know more about the universe then RS? lol

I'm a planetary scientist, it's my job to know this sort of sh*t

Kev Loaf

Quote from: ucdom on May 09, 2012, 11:38:34 AM

I'm a planetary scientist, it's my job to know this sort of sh*t

so all this planets, Reta-zawhatchmacallit an LV-bigbollocks etc all exist in real life? :0 MIND=BLOWN

Winkie Bear

Well, as for LV-bigbollocks, that's my business...  ;)

But yes, Zeta II Reticuli is a real star - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_Reticuli
Although exoplanet hunters have discovered hundreds of planets around other stars, I am not aware that any have been discovered around Z-2-R. This may be because this star has not searched for planets, or that planets there are small (and by small I mean Earth-sized - most easily detected exoplanets are Jupiter-sized or larger).

And Io is indeed a real moon of Jupiter.

My comment about moons orbiting near rings is based on the very real space-craft observations (Voyager, Galileo, Cassini) of moons orbiting in or near ring systems around Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

x-M-x

x-M-x

LV-bigbollocks

sounds awesome

lol

Kev Loaf

Quote from: ucdom on May 09, 2012, 11:47:07 AM
Well, as for LV-bigbollocks, that's my business...  ;)

But yes, Zeta II Reticuli is a real star - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_Reticuli
Although exoplanet hunters have discovered hundreds of planets around other stars, I am not aware that any have been discovered around Z-2-R. This may be because this star has not searched for planets, or that planets there are small (and by small I mean Earth-sized - most easily detected exoplanets are Jupiter-sized or larger).

And Io is indeed a real moon of Jupiter.

My comment about moons orbiting near rings is based on the very real space-craft observations (Voyager, Galileo, Cassini) of moons orbiting in or near ring systems around Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

thats awesome man. i had no clue about stuff like that. i thought it was made up. would be crazy if being like the SJ also existed. im envious of the generation that will make first contact! unless first contact is with something like a Xeno :o

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I really think he meant to say star when talking about zeta II reticuli. The large gas giant is probably called Io.

Also I get the hint that when shaw says she was so wrong; she talking about her belief in god.

edit: oh and for those saying that there is already a moon called Io around Jupiter; maybe in the ancient texts they find the planet is called Io and decided to stick with it. Because otherwise this is one heck of a screw up.

Eva

Eva

I'll attribute my somewhat restricted knowledge into astronomy to the adventures of Yoko Tsuno and reading those comics while growing up. It sparked my interest into the real deal, although I'm in no way a capacity on the subject  :D

I wouldn't make anything big out of Ridleys comments - he could be having us on for all we know or just mix up some names during an interview, squeezed into a busy work schedule. Leave it to the trolls on imdb to speculate further and create 15 threads on the matter, should they have nothing better to do...

PS: I think Shaw being wrong, is her addressing the 'invitation angle' or how they interpreted the cave pictograms in the first place.  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed