Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 685,154 times)

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Quote from: DoomRulz on Oct 31, 2009, 11:46:54 AM

A:R was just...what the hell was the point? The franchise already took a dive with Alien 3 and it was stupid. Bad acting, slapstick humour (when did Alien movies become funny?), and an abomination that was at least 100 times uglier than any Predalien.

Except that was supposed to be an abomination. Hey, at least they took the penis/vagina off of it.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Supposed to be or otherwise, it was a retarded idea. At least the Predalien made sense, albeit executed poorly.

Quote from: Eidotemit on Oct 31, 2009, 05:58:56 PM
Except that was supposed to be an abomination. Hey, at least they took the penis/vagina off of it.

It still had an elongated head and a giant vagina running up its chest. Even Chet's pecs weren't that bad.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Predalien?

Maybe.

Predqueen?

Get the f**k out.

:'(

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 01, 2009, 03:31:13 AM
Supposed to be or otherwise, it was a retarded idea.

Agreed.

SM

SM

QuoteA:R was just...what the hell was the point?

To revivie interest in the series after Alien3 sunk it.

Quoteslapstick humour (when did Alien movies become funny?)

Aliens arguably.  Which bit was slapstick?

Quoteand an abomination that was at least 100 times uglier than any Predalien.

But made 100 times more sense than any PedAlien.

May its name be forever cursed.

QuoteAvP had close to an A-list cast with names like Ewan Bremner, Sanaa Lathan, and Lance Henriksen and totally wasted their talents.

Which A-list are you looking at cos none of those guys are on it.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Nov 02, 2009, 03:23:08 AM
To revivie interest in the series after Alien3 sunk it.

If by revive you mean take the series in a direction that no one expected (cloning Ripley) and tell everyone there's always a way to bring something back even if it means pissing on it even more, ya, you're right.

Aliens arguably.  Which bit was slapstick?

Ok, maybe slapstick is a strong term but the sexual cracks from Johner and I guess his character in general was just stupid. He didn't add anything to the movie for me.

But made 100 times more sense than any PedAlien.

May its name be forever cursed.

That's Predalien. And how did it make more sense? The Newborn (May its name be forever cursed) [I'm lovin' this] literally came from nowhere and it was a bad idea for a new alien species. It felt as though the writer needed something to make the ending interesting so it literally pulled the damn thing outta his ass. At least the Predalien had been created previously in the comics and made sense to me because it was an Alien born from a Predator. With Resurrection having such a dumb plot, the NB just totally killed it for me.

Which A-list are you looking at cos none of those guys are on it.

Really? I'd say Bremner at the very least is A-list. He's done some great films, the least of which is Trainspotting.

SM

SM

The only A-lister from Trainspotting is McGregor.  Miller and Carlisle come close.

QuoteIf by revive you mean take the series in a direction that no one expected (cloning Ripley) and tell everyone there's always a way to bring something back even if it means pissing on it even more, ya, you're right.

No, I'm just right by saying they wanted to revive the franchise after Alien3 sunk it.  Anything else is opinion.

QuoteHe didn't add anything to the movie for me.

He got laughs and cheers at a couple of points from the audience when I saw it.  Horses for courses.

QuoteAnd how did it make more sense?

Because it's in keeping with the themes of genetic crossing that permeate the film.  Ripley is mostly human with a bit of Alien; the Queen is mostly Alien with a bit of human.  The Newborn is their bastard lovechild.  The execution could've been better in terms of its place in the story, but otherwise it's the next logical step following on from the genetic shenanigans presented from the outset.

Only the good lord knows why viewers would think this was supposed to be the "new alien species", when it was a complete one off, and could never be recreated.  Like the Queen in Aliens it existed solely to provide a climactic showdown.  The Queen was just executed better in that it's existance was flagged earlier on so it didn't come out of left field, and the showdown was more engrossing.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

The Predalien doesn't make sense because the Alien can't magically generate matter during its growth cycle. A host's health might contribute to the Alien, because a healthy host will provide better nutrition for the developing embryo, but otherwise the host doesn't really contribute anything, except perhaps information.

The Alien takes traits from the host that are relevant to survival. How are mandibles relevant to survival? An Alien does not require them, because it has two arms, two mouths and a highly coordinated tail. Dreadlocks aren't relevant either. Extra size doesn't make sense, since the Alien is already larger than a Predator. Extra strength doesn't make sense, because an Alien is arguably stronger than a Predator already and if not, there's nothing the Predator could contribute to make the Alien stronger.

SM

SM

Oh yeah - forgot that bit.  The PredAlien* didn't make sense cos of dreads, tacked on mandibles and boobies.

And it's supposed to be a Queen.

With only two arms.

And no proper crown.

And the inherited Predator trait of barfing eggs down the throats of chicks who are up the duff and the eggs manage to somehow get into her womb without tearing her insides to pieces.

* - May its name be forever cursed.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: MadassAlex on Nov 02, 2009, 04:08:30 AM
The Alien takes traits from the host that are relevant to survival. How are mandibles relevant to survival? An Alien does not require them, because it has two arms, two mouths and a highly coordinated tail. Dreadlocks aren't relevant either. Extra size doesn't make sense, since the Alien is already larger than a Predator. Extra strength doesn't make sense, because an Alien is arguably stronger than a Predator already and if not, there's nothing the Predator could contribute to make the Alien stronger.

I agree the dreads made zero sense, but I have nothing against mandibles on an Alien. They're just a small tip to where the Alien came from.

As for extra size, that's a minor quibble. The Predalien was only about a foot taller than the Warriors so it's not as if the size difference was astronomical like the Queen.

What extra strength are you referring to?

Quote from: SM on Nov 02, 2009, 04:12:30 AM
And no proper crown.

Young queen, ergo, not fully developed.

SM

SM

Or, indeed, developed at all.

Like it's 'hood'.

And it's Queen dorsal spines.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Mandibles I'm personally fine with. Sure, they don't make sense, but if you want that tip as to the Alien's origins, I guess they're fine. Not that there should be much real difference between an Alien and a Predalien to begin with.

AvPR made it pretty clear that it was trying to portray the Predalien as stronger than other Aliens.

SM

SM

QuoteNot that there should be much real difference between an Alien and a Predalien to begin with.

Therein lies the problem.

I've always maintained they should be there for aesthetic purposes.  Based on what we know, they make no real sense though.

Sad that even when they did put them on it, they looked so dopey.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: MadassAlex on Nov 02, 2009, 04:39:32 AM
AvPR made it pretty clear that it was trying to portray the Predalien as stronger than other Aliens.

...how?

Because it held up a nurse with one hand? Anytime held up Dutch with one arm, no problem.

SM

SM

Quote...how?

Cos it was the only one that could effectively duke it out with the Predator?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed