Alien: Isolation Mod Friendly?

Started by TITANOSAUR, Feb 21, 2014, 07:30:17 PM

Author
Alien: Isolation Mod Friendly? (Read 4,808 times)

TITANOSAUR

TITANOSAUR

I know it's too soon to know, or ask. but as the Alien/Predator Community does have Modding communities for video games, Is it safe to say Alien Isolation will be Mod-Friendly?

this is mostly a hypothetical question. although the game looks to not have any Multiplayer or Sandbox elements, its still a valid question.

Xhan

Xhan

:v

SM

SM

WinterActual

Doubt it.

PsyKore

PsyKore

It's safe to say it won't because the video game industry is f**king shit nowdays.

Aceburster

Aceburster

Sega calls those shots, so no I dont think so. Would be cool if they did though.

newbeing

newbeing

It'd be nice if they could release mod tools like Amnesia. Maybe nothing too fancy, but give players the opportunity to build their own scenarios to keep things fresh. I don't see user made scenarios cutting into their dlc plans, if any. If anything a player still interested your game is probably more likely to buy your more polished DLC.

I doubt it though as it hasn't happened in the past with previous Alien titles. Not sure if that's more Fox than Sega, as the Total War games are mod-able correct?

Xhan

Xhan

TW has pretty much the most cohesive and best mod community outside of Skyrim and Source-Ports. (even if you ignore the creepy stuff like the average Nexus mod)

Vertigo

Vertigo

Total War's modding community was integral to the series long before Sega acquired the rights. There'd have been a shit storm if they'd dropped the capability, it'd be like launching an Unreal Tournament game without UnrealEd.
Generally speaking, Sega is not a good publisher in terms of community support or PC focus. I'll be surprised at any concessions to the platform beyond mouse+keyboard functionality, Steam integration and scaleable graphics.

LastSurvivor92

sorry dude. Alien Isolation is in development for the new systems such as the Xbox One and PS4. I think they will pretty careful not to leave glitches and mods wide open for people like that to come in and manipulate stuff.

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 22, 2014, 09:08:38 AM
It's safe to say it won't because the video game industry is f**king shit nowdays.

This is pretty much the truth as I see it too.  Let's face it, 'A:CM' was the perfect modding opportunity. 

A popular title.
A game engine renowned for its moddability.
A community ready to embrace it.

When you look at it a little closer it would appear to be the ideal game for modding.  The public version of Unreal Engine 3, the Unreal Development Kit, enjoys over one million installed copies.  Creating custom content in the form of new maps and modes would be a boost to everyone - the fans, the developers and boost the sales as well.  Even if just 0.01% of people familiar with the UDK created mods for the game, you'd have over 1000 mods to expand your game. 

On the strength of these facts alone, has there ever been any interest on SEGA's part to release an SDK for the game?

No. 

I look at 'ALIEN: Isolation' and I don't see any change in this attitude.  Less so, in regards to this title, actually.  Let's take a quick look at why I would believe so.  The game engine is custom built for the title so no one outside the dev team has any familiarity with it.  Maybe some of the people who have modded 'Total War' titles might possess some notion of how it works, but it's not like there's over a million of them wanting to embrace 'A:I' modding like there is for the UDK. 

The only advantage this game has over 'A:CM' is it is a single player title.  In this regard the modding tools - if they are released - couldn't be used to generate hacks and exploits for extant MP modes as they could possibly have been used for 'A:CM'. 

Right now, I don't hold much hope for any SDK or substantial modding of the game.  SEGA doesn't give a shit - and it shows. 

Oh, and Fox doesn't care either.  As far as they are concerned, releasing mod tools will just open up the game to assets piracy, so fans can strip mine the game to use in their own home grown projects without consent or licence.  Easier to screw the fans that way, I guess, rather than build a creative Community that will support their interests.

TLDR:

I don't expect any mod tools because Corporate Retardedness is more interested in shooting themselves in the foot for a quick buck rather than nurturing long lasting, respectful and creative Community that they can benefit from.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed