Will Blomkamp still leave it to Alien³ to kill Ripley and Hicks?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Mar 19, 2015, 04:00:24 PM

Author
Will Blomkamp still leave it to Alien³ to kill Ripley and Hicks? (Read 1,555 times)

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

If Blomkamp is not "undoing" Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection than will his film technically take place between Aliens and Alien 3?

I mean I know Alien 3 is easily forgettable for some fans and they find the deaths rather forgettable as well but its pretty hard to forget about the ballsy and gracious ending Ripley had in Alien 3. I'm sure he's gonna have to find a way to transition his film inbetween those 2 story lines.

If he decides to keep the characters alive in his story of Aliens won't he have to find a way to get them aboard the Sulaco again and explain the history of that mysterious egg to tie it in to Alien 3?

Its like seeing Darth Vader die in the last episode of Star Wars and than Disney decides to bring him back to life in episode 7 without any explanation. I mean there has to be a valid point Blomkamp will have to make inorder to either not undo or undo the story Alien 3 had. Whether it be a dream or another side plot/story device that will negate the events of the third film.

So will Alien 3 still be the Alien movie to kill off Ripley and Hicks?

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Chronicle on Mar 19, 2015, 04:00:24 PM
If Blomkamp is not "undoing" Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection than will his film technically take place between Aliens and Alien 3?

Personally, I hope his movie is NOT an interquel but an alternative Alien 3. I mean if we go by SM's Alien Timeline, then there is a span of twelve days for something to happen considering the time it took to get from LV-426 to Fury-161. So there is plenty of time for something to happen within a span of twelve days, and perhaps to explain where the egg on the Sulaco came from.

But there are some issues here and there.. Considering Hick's injury which he had received from the acid splash, is twelve days enough for him to recover from such a wound like that? Would he still be in good shape to be in action? Second, how does one explain the ages of Ripley and Hicks, assuming they're still alive? For it to be connected to Alien 3, it wouldn't make much sense. Others have pointed out that they could be digitally de-aged but is it a good move for this movie? I don't know.

If you ask me, Blomkamp's statements are.. contradictory and vague. I don't think he's going to be actively retconning Alien 3 but I don't think he's going to be following that continuity and establishing a different one. I hope that's the case though not because I hate Alien 3, I love Alien 3 after seeing the assembly cut, but because I want more than one Alien continuity.

Close Encounters

Let's see, if we accept the idea that Ripley and Hicks are going to be brought back like in the concept art we've seen so far, that A3 and A:R will not be "undone" and the Ripley featured is NOT Ripley 8, as we've been told, there are a limited number of options for where Blomkamp can go with Alien 5.

1. Ripley and Hicks are clones/synthetics. When the comics were retconned after Alien 3, this is how the writers justified Ripley being there. They just made her a synthetic. I honestly don't remember who made her or why. But it has been done before. Technically, they don't have to clone Hicks if the follow Aliens: Colonial Marines. So they COULD keep it all in continuity if they make Hicks an older man long after the events of Alien 3 and have the Company make a Ripley synthetic. Cause 'reasons'.

2. This is in interquel, taking place after Aliens but before Alien 3. How they would justify Ripley and Hicks aging, then Ripley DE-ageing, I honestly have no idea. This is honestly just a ridiculous idea, IMO. It makes no logical sense given the age of the actors, and frankly it wouldn't have much room for story. There's very little freedom, and frankly we're going to know how it ends. Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop all in cryostasis on the Sulaco. No mystery there. No suspense. Boring.

3. Time travel. Wormhole, a new invention, the arrival of Q from Star Trek. Absolutely the worst idea of the bunch, but it is there.

4. Alien 3, Alien: Resurrection and Aliens: Colonial Marines will simply be ignored. Not undone. Not put into a dream sequence as if they were a delusion by Ripley/Hicks/Newt's traumatized brain, no shot of Bender Bending Rodriguez showing up and telling the audience "In three seconds, you will forget that the Alien franchise was screwed up by idiots, then brought back by bigger idiots." Nope, those films will just be ignored, and Alien 5 will simply be an alternate future that Alien fans can pick up or put down as they desire.

I can't think of any other way that Fox and Blomkamp can bring back the Ripley and Hicks and not have Ripley being Ripley 8, something that has been categorically denied.

Can we, as a fanbase, primarily agree that the 'ignore' option is the best option, IF Ripley and Hicks must be brought back? I think most of us can.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Close Encounters on Mar 19, 2015, 09:13:04 PM
4. Alien 3, Alien: Resurrection and Aliens: Colonial Marines will simply be ignored. Not undone. Not put into a dream sequence as if they were a delusion by Ripley/Hicks/Newt's traumatized brain, no shot of Bender Bending Rodriguez showing up and telling the audience "In three seconds, you will forget that the Alien franchise was screwed up by idiots, then brought back by bigger idiots." Nope, those films will just be ignored, and Alien 5 will simply be an alternate future that Alien fans can pick up or put down as they desire.

This.. Option Four. I pick option four.

This is the best option for us at this point.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 19, 2015, 08:02:37 PM

If you ask me, Blomkamp's statements are.. contradictory and vague. I don't think he's going to be actively retconning Alien 3 but I don't think he's going to be following that continuity and establishing a different one. I hope that's the case though not because I hate Alien 3, I love Alien 3 after seeing the assembly cut, but because I want more than one Alien continuity.

Remember in ALIEN when Ripley's nose is inexplicably bleeding? (In reality that was because of the airlock sequence that was cut from the film), but THIS^^^ is starting to inexplicably make my nose bleed.

Imagine a parent throwing away their child's dinner and then saying 'I didn't throw away your dinner, I simply ignored the fact that I ever gave it to you. It's still in the garbage if you want to fish it out and eat it."

Now maybe you feel that film is garbage - on this I will not comment - but they are certainly RETCONNING it away by ignoring it. You either acknowledge it or RETCON it. There is no middle ground. You are making that up.

PERSONALLY I BELIEVE THERE IS THE 5th, option, if Ripley and Hicks are back:

5. They bring Ripley and Hicks back, ignore/retcon Part 3 and then the movie is JUST MEDIOCRE at best. Why? Because the ship sailed and there is no way to top ALIENS. Yet for some reason fans still think just by keeping Hicks alive and making the film an action movie it will AUTOMATICALLY be better than ALIEN 3. Use great PAUSE, if this is you. Because the odds of BLOMKAMP'S movie being as good as ALIENS is not in anyone's favor.

And this RETCONING of ALIEN 3 might be the press that FOX wants to make the film controversial and generate attention for it. The  potential ramifications this has for other franchises if it goes well, are terrible. I almost hope it fails because otherwise they will use this for everything from here on in. It's a talking point and the 'will they or wont they' stuff worked wonders for generating HYPE with PROMETHEUS. It will do the same for this.

I mean I know Alien 3 is easily forgettable for some fans and they find the deaths rather forgettable as well but its pretty hard to forget about the ballsy and gracious ending Ripley had in Alien 3. I'm sure he's gonna have to find a way to transition his film inbetween those 2 story lines.

If he decides to keep the characters alive in his story of Aliens won't he have to find a way to get them aboard the Sulaco again and explain the history of that mysterious egg to tie it in to Alien 3?

Its like seeing Darth Vader die in the last episode of Star Wars and than Disney decides to bring him back to life in episode 7 without any explanation. I mean there has to be a valid point Blomkamp will have to make inorder to either not undo or undo the story Alien 3 had. Whether it be a dream or another side plot/story device that will negate the events of the third film.

So will Alien 3 still be the Alien movie to kill off Ripley and Hicks?

I think a win/win is to make his film an ending but also have it leave off somewhere where the potential exists to make it MEET UP with ALIEN3 without explicitly drawing attention to it. Then it's up to fans to either decide this is the end, or accept the inclusion of the rest. However, this is peculiar because then each film from this one thru A:R would have the same kind of 'accept this as the end or continue' option.
Personally, I still think RIPLEY 8 on earth is interesting.

Xenomorphine

He's said that he doesn't regard the third film's events as having happened. That and him and/or Weaver saying there's potential room for Ripley to continue into one or two further stories, pretty much erases the possibility of trying to make everything fit the infamous magically appearing Sulaco egg.

Would also be unnecessary. Completely new story would be the best way not to paint yourself into a corner.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 20, 2015, 04:32:49 AM
He's said that he doesn't regard the third film's events as having happened. That and him and/or Weaver saying there's potential room for Ripley to continue into one or two further stories, pretty much erases the possibility of trying to make everything fit the infamous magically appearing Sulaco egg.

Would also be unnecessary. Completely new story would be the best way not to paint yourself into a corner.

Sounds like the best thing to do. I think 3 and 4 are pretty forgettable now since Blomkamp has taken the series into a newer and more exciting direction. I think 3 and 4 were mainly fan fodder because they were Alien films. Now we are actually gonna see a quality Alien film following the 2 most celebrated Science fiction films in history.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Chronicle on Mar 20, 2015, 04:44:56 AM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 20, 2015, 04:32:49 AM

Sounds like the best thing to do. I think 3 and 4 are pretty forgettable now since Blomkamp has taken the series into a newer and more exciting direction. I think 3 and 4 were mainly fan fodder because they were Alien films. Now we are actually gonna see a quality Alien film following the 2 most celebrated Science fiction films in history.

And here we go again, back to the ALIENS fan boy / fandom way of looking at things...

This movie makes me lose my interest in the Alien franchise even more than before.

Close Encounters

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 20, 2015, 05:22:10 AM
And here we go again, back to the ALIENS fan boy / fandom way of looking at things...

You say that like it's a BAD thing.

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 20, 2015, 05:22:10 AM
This movie makes me lose my interest in the Alien franchise even more than before.

I'm....sorry, guess?

OmegaZilla

It's already been confirmed that this won't be the case at all. Thread locked.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed