Fede Alvarez Alien: Romulus Interview Round-Up!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 21, 2024, 08:54:00 AM

Author
Fede Alvarez Alien: Romulus Interview Round-Up! (Read 2,658 times)

BigDaddyJohn

As long as it is exerted on characters that I care a little bit about, it's a win.

MudButt

I'm a thrills & kills freak as well and while I'd love to see more victims in these types of movies I would not want to sacrifice quality.

I think Fede will deliver just enough carnage with our cast  8)

Enjoy

Enjoy

Maybe predator shows up at the end :o

Predatorium

As long as the characters are clever and don't do stupid shit like taking off their helmets on a foreign planet I'm fine. When they die even though they did everything the possibly could right, that's when it's scary, when the threat is real.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Predatorium on Mar 26, 2024, 11:03:33 AMAs long as the characters are clever and don't do stupid shit like taking off their helmets on a foreign planet

Or sticking their heads in eggs when everything that happened to them before tells them they shouldn't.  ::)

BigDaddyJohn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mLZeO_-R-Y&ab_channel=AlloCin%C3%A9-Interviews

Alvarez quick interview on a french media. He talks a bit about characters relationships.

Eal

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Mar 26, 2024, 01:15:44 PM
Quote from: Predatorium on Mar 26, 2024, 11:03:33 AMAs long as the characters are clever and don't do stupid shit like taking off their helmets on a foreign planet

Or sticking their heads in eggs when everything that happened to them before tells them they shouldn't.  ::)

On paper, it makes sense. None of the characters have actually seen an egg that has a rape-spider inside. It just looks like an interesting life form, and doesn't initially seem to be aggressive either. I don't think they should actually do it in movies any more though. The audience knows way too much about the Aliens for it to be believable.

That's probably why the Hammerpede in Prometheus didn't work as well. That thing...from the get go looks like it's going to murder to you, and seems to be acting aggressive. Biologist or not, there's no way anyone would actually want to touch that thing, let alone get near it. Milburn at no point takes a hit of Fifield's bong either, and weed tends to do the opposite thing when it kicks in.

The scene later on makes it worse, actually: when they examine his body, non-biologist characters jump back in shock and terror when the thing leaps out of his mouth. It retroactively makes Milburn more stupid.

BigDaddyJohn

The main issue is trusting David. Oram sees him almost orgasm from touching the Neomorph then go mad when he kills it.

Plenty enough to not go along whith anything he could say. That includes listening to him say that it's safe to stick his dumb head in a big ass egg.

Eal

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Mar 21, 2024, 02:18:22 PM@Mike's Monsters curious to see the character Rain in action but it's hard to compete with Ripley. If I'm honest and perhaps I'm biased I'm abit deflated that we didn't get another outing with Ripley, it could be a case 20th Century Studios now Disney weren't interested in returning to Ripely could be that the character was over exploited. The thing that annoys me with the Alien vs Predator films, the Prequels and this film an new character but mainly lack of returning characters (aside from David8 in Covenant) it recycles the Ripley archetype arc rinse and repeat reskinned recast movie might as well be a remake discarding what came before, it's partly the lack of
Cathartic resolution for Ripley ending her story, Alien3 though climatic was underwhelming, some follow up to Resurrection pulling that off is slim but not impossible, just that sense of completion and Closure before moving on.

But there individual merits are with acknowledging there absolutely have been solid performances from
Sanaa Lathan,  Reiko Aylesworth, Noomi Rapace and Katherine Waterston. I'm eager to see Cailee Spaeny's Rain to take on that dreaded Xenomorph.

The best time to do that would've been in the mid 2000s, before 20th Century decided to go for monster mash.
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Mar 27, 2024, 07:16:20 PMThe main issue is trusting David. Oram sees him almost orgasm from touching the Neomorph then go mad when he kills it.

Plenty enough to not go along whith anything he could say. That includes listening to him say that it's safe to stick his dumb head in a big ass egg.

No, I agree. Oram had absolutely no reason to do that. Alan Dean Foster must've had his work cut out for him trying to explain that one.

BigDaddyJohn

A lot of movies have characters making mistakes, but this one is definitely way up there.

aliens13

Quote from: Eal on Mar 27, 2024, 07:20:44 PM
Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Mar 21, 2024, 02:18:22 PM@Mike's Monsters curious to see the character Rain in action but it's hard to compete with Ripley. If I'm honest and perhaps I'm biased I'm abit deflated that we didn't get another outing with Ripley, it could be a case 20th Century Studios now Disney weren't interested in returning to Ripely could be that the character was over exploited. The thing that annoys me with the Alien vs Predator films, the Prequels and this film an new character but mainly lack of returning characters (aside from David8 in Covenant) it recycles the Ripley archetype arc rinse and repeat reskinned recast movie might as well be a remake discarding what came before, it's partly the lack of
Cathartic resolution for Ripley ending her story, Alien3 though climatic was underwhelming, some follow up to Resurrection pulling that off is slim but not impossible, just that sense of completion and Closure before moving on.

But there individual merits are with acknowledging there absolutely have been solid performances from
Sanaa Lathan,  Reiko Aylesworth, Noomi Rapace and Katherine Waterston. I'm eager to see Cailee Spaeny's Rain to take on that dreaded Xenomorph.

The best time to do that would've been in the mid 2000s, before 20th Century decided to go for monster mash.
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Mar 27, 2024, 07:16:20 PMThe main issue is trusting David. Oram sees him almost orgasm from touching the Neomorph then go mad when he kills it.

No, I agree. Oram had absolutely no reason to do that. Alan Dean Foster must've had his work cut out for him trying to explain that one.
It would be best if David knocked out Oram and then get him to the egg chamber to get face hugged, but well it is what it is

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: aliens13 on Mar 27, 2024, 09:54:40 PMIt would be best if David knocked out Oram and then get him to the egg chamber to get face hugged, but well it is what it is

This. Oram should have gotten the treatment that Shaw did in the earlier Prometheus drafts where David literally held a facehugger over her.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed