J.W. Rinzler's The Making of Aliens

Started by felix, Sep 16, 2019, 05:18:33 AM

Author
J.W. Rinzler's The Making of Aliens (Read 58,790 times)

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Mpavlic on Aug 31, 2020, 02:44:52 AM
Quote from: drsmuts on Aug 30, 2020, 07:51:55 PM
Got my copy. Haven't seen much new in the way of photos but looks a good solid read.

Hoping we get Alien 3...

Doesn't look like it.... https://paulsemel.com/exclusive-interview-the-making-of-aliens-writer-j-w-rinzler/

"Having written The Making Of Alien and The Making Of Aliens, the next logical step would be for you to do The Making Of Alien 3. Is that the plan?

Fox has told me they don't want to do a book on Alien 3. I don't know why."

Thanks for the link. Kind of want to read All Up now.

Shame about no making of Alien 3; I'm skipping Making of Aliens, but I'd have bought A3 in a heartbeat.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 31, 2020, 10:53:32 AM
I hope that was pre-Disney Fox, and now they might be open to. Seems silly that they'd go shy about how much of a mess that film was after we've already got CdL's documentaries.
I still feel the uncut version is probably shy a few judicious c-bombs short of the full story.

Voodoo Magic

I hope that was pre-Disney Fox, and now they might be open to. Seems silly that they'd go shy about how much of a mess that film was after we've already got CdL's documentaries.

I just don't think there would be enough demand for it except for us Alien & Predator philes unfortunately. And among even us philes, some only support the first two films. As a whole, I just think the general movie fan populace do not chase material deemed rightly or wrongly as inferior (which is bad news for Alien3 & Resurrection.) If our fanbase was as huge as Star Wars, maybe, but sadly..  :-\

Russ840

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 31, 2020, 12:42:26 PM

I just don't think there would be enough demand for it except for us Alien & Predator philes unfortunately. And among even us philes, some only support the first two films. As a whole, I just think the general movie fan populace do not chase material deemed rightly or wrongly as inferior (which is bad news for Alien3 & Resurrection.) If our fanbase was as huge as Star Wars, maybe, but sadly..  :-\

I think you are completely right here. It's a damn shame because imagine what Rinzler might dig up.

drsmuts

Quote from: drsmuts on Aug 30, 2020, 07:51:55 PM
Got my copy. Haven't seen much new in the way of photos but looks a good solid read.

Hoping we get Alien 3...

Doesn't look like it.... https://paulsemel.com/exclusive-interview-the-making-of-aliens-writer-j-w-rinzler/

"Having written The Making Of Alien and The Making Of Aliens, the next logical step would be for you to do The Making Of Alien 3. Is that the plan?

That's a shame.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ840 on Aug 31, 2020, 01:17:34 PM

I think you are completely right here. It's a damn shame because imagine what Rinzler might dig up.

I can't imagine Making of Alien/s has any more mass appeal than a Making of 3 would. I wouldn't expect general public to pick up Making Of books. If anything, I think 3 would have more appeal outside of the fanbase due to its mess of a development than the first 2. I'm aware of the 3rd being used in film studies because of that.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 31, 2020, 05:26:33 PM
I can't imagine Making of Alien/s has any more mass appeal than a Making of 3 would. I wouldn't expect general public to pick up Making Of books. If anything, I think 3 would have more appeal outside of the fanbase due to its mess of a development than the first 2. I'm aware of the 3rd being used in film studies because of that.

It's been my experience movie lovers will pick up making of books, which just corleates. They have The Terminator and T2: Judgment Day on the blu shelf as well as the bookshelf. They're classics. But T3, etc. is nowhere to be found. Same thing as Godfather I & 2 (not 3) and same goes with Alien & Aliens on home video. All the good movies make their home video and book shelves and the "bad ones" do not. Not many want to read a few hundred pages about a movie they dislike. And I am certainly an example of this behavior. :)

TheBATMAN

I suspect the only real selling point would be if Fincher wanted to get involved which we already know he wouldnt.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 31, 2020, 05:54:44 PMIt's been my experience movie lovers will pick up making of books, which just corleates. They have The Terminator and T2: Judgment Day on the blu shelf as well as the bookshelf. They're classics.

It's my experience a ton of "movie lovers" have no interest in books about movies.

I'd consider myself a movie lover. I've got literally hundreds of DVDs on my shelves. The only making-of books I have relate to the Alien series. And I'd love a comprehensive Alien 3 book more than any of them.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 31, 2020, 05:59:06 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 31, 2020, 05:54:44 PMIt's been my experience movie lovers will pick up making of books, which just corleates. They have The Terminator and T2: Judgment Day on the blu shelf as well as the bookshelf. They're classics.

It's my experience a ton of "movie lovers" have no interest in books about movies.

I'd consider myself a movie lover. I've got literally hundreds of DVDs on my shelves. The only making-of books I have relate to the Alien series. And I'd love a comprehensive Alien 3 book more than any of them.

A ton? Did you weigh them?  ;D

Dude. You're a hardcore Alien fan. You work on Xenopedia. Of course you feel that way.

On my shelf I have T1 and T2 books. No T3 and Salvation. Making of 300. No 300 Rise of the Empire book. Thor Ragnarok both the Art and Making Of Books. No Thor or Thor: The Dark World Books. It's why we are getting David Cronenberg's The Fly book but probably will never see a book on its sequel. There's often just not enough market for the perceived lesser movies unfortunately.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 31, 2020, 05:59:06 PM

So now you have experience with it! :  8)

Elmazalman

A mediocre sequel such as JAWS 2, has two 'making of' books devoted to it (the second book reissued in an expanded volume).

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 31, 2020, 05:54:44 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 31, 2020, 05:26:33 PM

It's been my experience movie lovers will pick up making of books, which just corleates. They have The Terminator and T2: Judgment Day on the blu shelf as well as the bookshelf. They're classics. But T3, etc. is nowhere to be found. Same thing as Godfather I & 2 (not 3) and same goes with Alien & Aliens on home video. All the good movies make their home video and book shelves and the "bad ones" do not. Not many want to read a few hundred pages about a movie they dislike. And I am certainly an example of this behavior. :)
Unfortunately, people own the "bad ones" because these films are released in boxed sets. I own the garbage that is Godfather Part III and ALIEN: Resurrection.

Mr. Clemens

No truthful 'Making of Alien 3' book could avoid making Fox look like a bunch of controlling, artless, money-grubbing bastards. So naturally they wouldn't want such a book out there.

But I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  ;D

Kradan

Kradan

Well, now there's technically no more "Fox". So ...

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Aug 31, 2020, 10:01:09 PM

Me too.
:)

Quote from: Elmazalman on Aug 31, 2020, 09:42:05 PM
A mediocre sequel such as JAWS 2, has two 'making of' books devoted to it (the second book reissued in an expanded volume).

I always kind of enjoyed Jaws 2, probably because it was the only other Jaws with Roy. Did Jaws 3-D and Jaws The Revenge get one?

But it's all about if they feel it can make money on it right? If the juice is worth the squeeze? (Unless it's an unauthorized labor of love.). With Star Wars, bad, good, doesn't matter. It will all likely sell I think. Other franchises like Robocop, Terminator, Alien, Predator, The Thing, etc. I get any trepidation with books on anything other than the perceived classic installments, especially the more robust the book.

QuoteUnfortunately, people own the "bad ones" because these films are released in boxed sets. I own the garbage that is Godfather Part III and ALIEN: Resurrection.

Yeah, :laugh:, same on both.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Aug 31, 2020, 10:01:09 PM
No truthful 'Making of Alien 3' book could avoid making Fox look like a bunch of controlling, artless, money-grubbing bastards. So naturally they wouldn't want such a book out there.

Not a great admirer of the film, but the book could potentially be the most interesting of the three volumes.

Such a book would have to be utterly truthful in its account of the making of the film though. Anything less would be a waste of ink.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed