ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 398,599 times)

Corporal Hicks

I vaguely recall something about articles from the magazines being included in the CMTM?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 18, 2016, 06:55:03 PMI vaguely recall something about articles from the magazines being included in the CMTM?

Yeah, the Tech Manual basically evolved from the Technical Readout section in the magazine, which was the same kinda deal and written by the same guy (Brimmicombe-Wood). Some of the stuff is practically identical, although they wrote a lot more for the book.

The two Alien biology articles never made it across, though; the few snippets of biology discussed in the Tech Manual are mostly new stuff, and much less detailed.

LordCassusSnow

It would have been great if we had some sections that displayed dissected xeno's and bits of information about their anatomy and nature. I'm in the middle of reading Aliens Labyrinth and the bit where Church is discussing the xeno's behavior while conducting an autopsy on one is a real eye opener! Not to mention the novel adaptation was also by SD Perry. Hopefully WY releases a report on Preds in the near future! Aside from that, i loved how Michael Bishop is confirmed as being human with synthetic implants. That was always my theory before and after Avp. I mean, if it worked for Eisenberg in Avp 2, why not? I also love how theres no mention of ACM or walmart. Few weird things though, WY seems very confused by the details of the incident on Fury 161. Even going as far as believing there were two facehuggers? Lots of far out theories in those articles. Another interesting thing, even though Fire and Stone(canon) confirm it, the book is very vague on the locations of LV-223 and LV-426. It states LV-426 is one of three moons of the ringed giant Calpamos but when mentioning LV-223 it states its merely a moon in the Zeta 2 Reticuli system. Oh yeah, some of the character pics that are missing could have been found in the Quadrilogy boxed set booklet. So glad i didn't buy the Sideshow version. Seems like this was put together in a rush.

predxeno

I just received my copy and it looks amazing, has anyone noticed that at the beginning of the book, there's an email address that the reader is supposed to mail the book to if found (otherwise will be prosecuted by W-Y authorities :laugh:)?  Has anyone tried contacting that email address?  I know it's a fictional web address for a fictional company, but sometimes the writers actually do make up an address and respond to people who do email them.  The address is 349000/S21/WYS@CORP.NET, the slashes probably make it an invalid address but I'm not an expert on such things.  Also, does anyone know if this book acknowledges any of the EU?  I would think not as this book seems only to focus on the Alien movies, but I haven't read every page yet.

Ultramorph

It acknowledges Isolation, Fire and Stone, and the Titan Books trilogy.

Might have to give that E-mail a shot.  ;D

Russ840

I am so excited for this. May 20th cannot come quick enough. Can anyone tell me the dimensions and how they sit next to the 'Complete Fire And Stone' ?

predxeno

Quote from: Ultramorph on Apr 23, 2016, 05:41:09 PM
It acknowledges Isolation, Fire and Stone, and the Titan Books trilogy.

Might have to give that E-mail a shot.  ;D

Can you point me to where it references them?  I'd be interested in giving them a look.

Space7Horror

It has a very detailed outline of the life cycle but does not take egg morphing into consideration, does anyone know the reasoning behind this?

predxeno

Well eggmorphing took place in a deleted scene, regardless I wouldn't consider this guide to be a "total and thorough" encyclopedia on the Alien species; ignoring for the moment that it says nothing about the EU or the Predators, it also doesn't have any information about the events occurring after Prometheus (assuming Alien: Covenant can be in the same universe as Alien 3 and Rez).

SM

QuoteFew weird things though, WY seems very confused by the details of the incident on Fury 161. Even going as far as believing there were two facehuggers?

It's a long standing theory that there were two huggers.  Always have to remember that the 'voice' of this book wasn't an eyewitness, but compiling available data.  Data that was primarily relating to the theatrical cut of the film in which there was no super hugger.

QuoteIt has a very detailed outline of the life cycle but does not take egg morphing into consideration, does anyone know the reasoning behind this?

It's only ever appeared in one film, which was a directors cut.  While the theatrical cut has pretty much taken precedence there is this:

"Data supports obligate parthenogenesis—that is, that
the Xenomorph reproduces exclusively through asexual
means—but until adult specimens of XX121 can be properly
studied, it is impossible to further classify the full means or
method of reproduction."

So it's not ruling egg morphing out.

QuoteCan you point me to where it references them?

The timeline references Isolation in 2137 and Fire & Stone in 2219.  There's the odd reference to River of Pain in the text.  Sea of Sorrows occurs after the book was produced.

Quoteignoring for the moment that it says nothing about the EU

The only 'EU' under consideration is listed above.

Quoteit also doesn't have any information about the events occurring after Prometheus (assuming Alien: Covenant can be in the same universe as Alien 3 and Rez).

Anything post-Prometheus had been redacted in the manner of Shaw and David's crew profiles.

Space7Horror

Okay that makes sense then, at least its left open to debate. 

The book really made me want to see a movie taking place in the far future where a re-established WY is actively pursuing a xenomorph specimen in the far reaches of the universe.  A whole movie from the perspective of the company and its goals after the events of the 4 original movies and what we have learned from Prometheus and will learn from covenant would be pretty interesting to see and a possible conclusion to the entire series.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Apr 23, 2016, 10:13:22 PM
Anything post-Prometheus had been redacted in the manner of Shaw and David's crew profiles.

I know it's only a small thing but that really tickled me. I absolutely loved the thematic elements throughout the book.

LordCassusSnow

Come on Predator Weyland Yutani Report!

SM

That'd be the OWLF Files.

marrerom

Quote from: SM on Apr 26, 2016, 02:04:05 AM
That'd be the OWLF Files.

Are there any plans in motion for that? A "OWLF Files" book would be a great follow up/companion piece to what you've done with the Weyland-Yutani report.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed