Prometheus H.R. Giger Artwork Preview

Started by ikarop, Oct 01, 2012, 11:13:31 PM

Author
Prometheus H.R. Giger Artwork Preview (Read 47,600 times)

Gilfryd

One of the things that made Alien work so well was Giger doing all the alien stuff and Cobb and Foss on the human parts. There was a clear vision and distinction between the two. They felt like completely different worlds totally alien from one another. With Prometheus there was such a mishmash of ideas that it looks like any other big sci-fi movie of the past few years.

Darth Vile

Quote from: Gilfryd on Mar 16, 2013, 10:35:29 PM
One of the things that made Alien work so well was Giger doing all the alien stuff and Cobb and Foss on the human parts. There was a clear vision and distinction between the two. They felt like completely different worlds totally alien from one another. With Prometheus there was such a mishmash of ideas that it looks like any other big sci-fi movie of the past few years.
I agree - brilliant design. Lightning in a bottle really... which is why Alien endures still. However, I can't hold that against Prometheus. The alien stuff, be it the engineers, the temple etc. were clearly Giger influenced and Cobb and Foss influences were all over the human tech stuff.

OpenMaw

The problem for me visually will always be that they sapped out the specific Gigerian designs of the alien related stuff and made it more techish. I get why. I just really think it was a bad move. There were so many wondrous possibilities inside Giger's very specific style that are lost when you... Generalize the designs.

Blacklabel

Here's hoping some of these designs end up in the sequel ;)

Just bring Giger in earlier in the production, ok? Shouldnt be too hard.

Valaquen

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 16, 2013, 10:01:27 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 16, 2013, 04:13:12 PM

It's not concept art, it's a preliminary doodle, like his early preliminary work on Alien. Here's a sketch of the derelict, for example:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m191/Izzys88/374c_zps889f7d8a.png

Hi, Valaquen...aren't we saying the same thing?  ;)  :)

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 15, 2013, 07:39:34 PM

I don't know, Bobby...I am pretty sure these are "charcoal drawings", which are made in a very quick, almost stream of consciousness fashion, and with broad strokes.  It is the style.

Once a particular sketch is "approved", he would then go on to make a more detailed and realistic study/drawing or painting.
Exactly  8)

Darth Vile

Quote from: Blacklabel on Mar 17, 2013, 11:56:36 AM

As much as I like Giger's work, I don't see anything in the sketches which leap out as 'brilliant'. There are some that are reminiscent of Alien and some of Species, which is fine, but nothing that makes me think "wow... they should have used that".

bobby brown

Quote from: Darth Vile on Mar 17, 2013, 03:17:29 PM
Quote from: Blacklabel on Mar 17, 2013, 11:56:36 AM

As much as I like Giger's work, I don't see anything in the sketches which leap out as 'brilliant'. There are some that are reminiscent of Alien and some of Species, which is fine, but nothing that makes me think "wow... they should have used that".

^This ya´ll.

People seem to praise giger for sake of prasing giger.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Darth Vile on Mar 17, 2013, 03:17:29 PMAs much as I like Giger's work, I don't see anything in the sketches which leap out as 'brilliant'.
Agreed, but it's impossible to know what might of been considering that Giger didn't get a decent run at it. All we have are quick sketches that look like they were done on the back of a napkin.

Quote from: bobby brown on Mar 18, 2013, 12:23:39 PMPeople seem to praise giger for sake of prasing giger.
No, people praise Giger because of this...

...and this...

That doesn't make him the only viable option though - some of Huante's stuff is excellent.

bobby brown

Dont get me wrong, I love that "sh*t to!!!! :o

But thats was quite a while ago.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Gilfryd on Mar 16, 2013, 10:35:29 PM
With Prometheus there was such a mishmash of ideas that it looks like any other big sci-fi movie of the past few years.

I disagree.

Prometheus looked way better than a lot of modern sci-fi movies, the only one I can think of that may hold some resemblance to it is Avatar, what with the holograms n' all. The POV camera shots in Prometheus weren't amazing and looked alittle sterile, I admit, but that's about it. Prommy looked all fresh and new, yet kept the style of the Alien universe we all know and love.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed