It's An AvP Extinction Extravaganza! - AvP Galaxy Podcasts #167 & #168

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 30, 2023, 01:08:21 PM

Author
It's An AvP Extinction Extravaganza! - AvP Galaxy Podcasts #167 & #168 (Read 5,012 times)

Corporal Hicks

In celebration of the 20th anniversary of the release of Aliens vs. Predator: Extinction, we’ve uploaded the 167th and 168th episodes of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast for your auditory pleasure! In episode #167 Corporal Hicks and RidgeTop are joined by Darkness for his podcast debut to revisit our early impressions of Aliens vs. Predator: Extinction and how those thoughts have changed over time.

For episode #168 we were able to track down three of the people who made the game a reality – Lead designer Jason Hough, lead artist Brian Collins and producer Mike Arkin – to discuss the development of the game.

It's An AvP Extinction Extravaganza! - AvP Galaxy Podcasts #167 & #168

We discuss the initial pitch, what happened to multiplayer, that one particular guy at 20th Century Fox who made the development a struggle, how Fox had suggested turning the game into APC racing and plenty more!

During the interview, Jason Hough mentions a novel called You, written by Austin Grossman, as something he recommends to people interested in knowing what developer life was like when they were working on the game. You can find it for purchase on Amazon.

If you want to find out more about our guests in this episode, you can visit JasonHough.com to learn more about Jason and the novels he went on to write following his career in game development. You can also follow Mike Arkin on Twitter.

What did you think of our latest episodes? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunesPodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, and Spotify! Please be sure to leave a rating and review on whichever platform you're using!

And if you'd rather see everyone’s beautiful faces, as always, video versions of the podcasts are also available on the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy YouTube channel!

Make sure your browsers are locked into Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien and Predator news! You can also follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. Be sure to join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums as well!

xShadowFoxX

Two podcasts in one day? Inconceivable!

I'm all in.

Corporal Hicks

It also makes 4 in a single month! I hope that makes up for the one a month I've only been managing this year. And technically I've also got the first of upcoming Patreon recorded and edited, as well as 2 Dark Descent episodes recorded and one well under way with editing!

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

I am now eager to review the details of that Predator lawsuit, because the idea of it putting a hold on AvP games and stuff really blows.

Darkness

Great work guys. To get three of the developers at the same time. It's so rare we get to learn about what went into making really old games in the series and the politics behind it. So many of my complaints, the lack of multiplayer, no PC release, it was all sadly planned at one point.

Here's my transcription of the interview for people who want to read it.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/interviews/zono-avp-extinction/

xShadowFoxX

Yea, I did not know until listening to the interview that there was gonna be multiplayer, which would've been fine I guess, but I never saw it in that light. Then I find out about the tunnel mechanic which also sounded really cool. Great interview, sounds like those guys had a lot of fun.

Still Collating...

Really enjoyed these interviews guys, thanks for all of the effort!

GreybackElder

That was great! While that was the ONE AVP game I never played it was a super interesting listen. Now, you guys need to get the developers for AVP classic or AVP2 on the podcast.

xShadowFoxX

I think they did. At least one of them I think.

Marc505

Really enjoying 167, hearing you all reminiscing over late 90s to late 00s experiences with gaming and the AvP universe makes me feel happily nostalgic!

PS - Sorry to any Bolton based people who wanted to rent the single copy of Extinction on Xbox that the town centre Blockbuster had, I worked there and had it on continuous staff rental for about 6 months, soz.

PPS - I never got round to completing it either...

xShadowFoxX

'Disaster.' I love it. Even though I'm excited for Alien Romulus, I am kind of expecting that, and the show especially, to be rather disastrous if not disappointing.

BlueMarsalis79

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 01, 2023, 11:54:06 AM?

Oh one of the guys on the interview episode said it and it made me laugh so hard.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Jul 31, 2023, 07:40:08 AMYea, I did not know until listening to the interview that there was gonna be multiplayer, which would've been fine I guess, but I never saw it in that light. Then I find out about the tunnel mechanic which also sounded really cool. Great interview, sounds like those guys had a lot of fun.

It's a huge shame we never got that multiplayer. I loved the concept of the Predator player just jumping into other people's sessions. Sounds like it could have been so interesting! Same for the multi-tiered fighting too.

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jul 31, 2023, 01:15:25 PMReally enjoyed these interviews guys, thanks for all of the effort!

Thanks! It's very much appreciated. A lot of damn effort goes into every one we do.  ;D

Quote from: GreybackElder on Jul 31, 2023, 05:48:05 PMThat was great! While that was the ONE AVP game I never played it was a super interesting listen. Now, you guys need to get the developers for AVP classic or AVP2 on the podcast.

We had one of the AvP2 developers back on for our 100th episode!

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/2020/01/13/inspiring-terror-interview-with-aliens-vs-predator-2-developer-nathan-cheever-avp-galaxy-podcast-100/

I did try to get one of the Fox Interactive producer from this era on, but I can't remember why that never happened.

Quote from: Marc505 on Aug 01, 2023, 08:16:00 AMReally enjoying 167, hearing you all reminiscing over late 90s to late 00s experiences with gaming and the AvP universe makes me feel happily nostalgic!

PS - Sorry to any Bolton based people who wanted to rent the single copy of Extinction on Xbox that the town centre Blockbuster had, I worked there and had it on continuous staff rental for about 6 months, soz.

PPS - I never got round to completing it either...

;D I got there eventually! For this revisit. Glad you enjoyed it. Those early 00s were a fun time personally.

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Aug 01, 2023, 01:18:25 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 01, 2023, 11:54:06 AM?

Oh one of the guys on the interview episode said it and it made me laugh so hard.

Remind me? I can't remember what was said here.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed