What's Wrong With AvP?

Started by overthere, Dec 05, 2015, 12:25:08 PM

Author
What's Wrong With AvP? (Read 34,015 times)

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Well music and sound can make a good and scary atmosphere,. Horror themed films usually have distinct themes so sound could be something that gives higher rating depending on factors like jump scares etc.

Then there is the tone, both sound and tone was different in the two films despite the one trying to have the same kind of build up, In alien we know its going to be a creepy, by the ambient sounds and atmosphere it gives, in avp we get the sense of an adventure film from the tone and sound.

SiL

SiL

Besides the attacks later, the film is pretty PG-friendly. Jaws is just as tense and terrifying, but got a PG with marginally less gore and no swearing.

Hell, if it weren't for the swearing Aliens would easily be a PG-13 today if they cut out a second or two of the chest burst.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I dunno, Ripely's entirely bloodless Chestburster nightmare is pretty harrowing. Seeing it moving under her skin has always really disturbed me.

SiL

SiL

MPAA doesn't care if there's no actual blood. You can kill any number of people -- stab them to death if you have to -- and so long as it's bloodless, it's sweet.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: SiL on May 02, 2017, 11:53:16 AM
Besides the attacks later, the film is pretty PG-friendly. Jaws is just as tense and terrifying, but got a PG with marginally less gore and no swearing.

Hell, if it weren't for the swearing Aliens would easily be a PG-13 today if they cut out a second or two of the chest burst.

That is a fair point but personally I never found Jaws scary (damn good film though) and other than suspense, I can think of maybe one or two jump scares in that movie, while in Alien the suspense and horror was higher (from my pov anyway), especially in that the film dealt with primal fears and the monster was horrific in its life-cycle.

Jaws was just about a shark at the end of the day and you were only in danger if you were in the ocean. In Alien, the characters were constantly in danger because they were trapped with it on the ship.

Kaltes

Kaltes

Quote from: SiL on May 02, 2017, 12:07:50 PM
MPAA doesn't care if there's no actual blood. You can kill any number of people -- stab them to death if you have to -- and so long as it's bloodless, it's sweet.

It's kinda funny how the rating system works...brutal death is totally fine but having blood is just too much for them. :laugh:

Scorpio

Scorpio

In big blockbuster movies, death is like in a video game.  No consequences, entirely bloodless. 

People also handle guns like toys.  Anyone who has ever done basic firearm safety would know.  You never handle weapons like people do in the movies.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Scorpio on May 08, 2017, 03:16:31 AMPeople also handle guns like toys.  Anyone who has ever done basic firearm safety would know.  You never handle weapons like people do in the movies.

That same criticism could really be levelled at Aliens.

Z-101

Z-101

For me it was very simply the fact that they decided to have them take place on earth....which is fine for Predators but heresy for the world of Aliens.  And honestly the bland characterization that leads into AvP for the first hour makes it far less watcheable to me than AvP:R which is just an all out slaughterfest from very early on.  To me they are both shit films for many reasons but my patience with Paul Anderson's movie is far less than with the second one.  Also I think AvP:R does better justice to the world of Predator where we get to see one going all out center stage for most of the movie...and we get to see the Predator's homeworld for a minute.  Neither does right by the Alien though, it just has no business being present on earth before the events of Alien.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 09, 2017, 04:53:36 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on May 08, 2017, 03:16:31 AMPeople also handle guns like toys.  Anyone who has ever done basic firearm safety would know.  You never handle weapons like people do in the movies.

That same criticism could really be levelled at Aliens.

I love Aliens but firing from the hip is not a good idea.  :laugh:
Then again that may have been the point of those marines, they were laid back "vietnam" type soldiers....still not smart though.

EJA

EJA

Considering the direction the Alien prequels seem to be going, the AVP movies suddenly aren't looking so bad,

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: EJA on May 13, 2017, 02:50:28 PM
Considering the direction the Alien prequels seem to be going, the AVP movies suddenly aren't looking so bad,

It's a seriously sad time when something like that happens  :laugh:
Its very ironic, AVP movies are bad for many reasons, but notably for how it messed up the lore with the sped up life-cycle and that Predalien egg vomiting...
Spoiler
then Covenant comes along and also dumps on the lore by using the AVP life-cycle.
[close]

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

It's funny that Two of AVP's biggest complaints: aliens being born too fast and a human teaming up with a predator are becoming the norm with both series.

Ridely Scott himself did the same thing in Alien Covenant and The Predator is about to turn the predators into our co-workers.

AVPR may be an irredeemable pile of shit but AVP was just ahead of it's time.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on May 28, 2017, 03:45:37 PM
It's funny that Two of AVP's biggest complaints: aliens being born too fast and a human teaming up with a predator are becoming the norm with both series.

Ridely Scott himself did the same thing in Alien Covenant and The Predator is about to turn the predators into our co-workers.

No it wasn't because most of us hate it in covenant as well, in fact it is bewildering that Ridley would copy a film that he hates.

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 29, 2017, 10:20:57 AM
Quote from: Jigsaw85 on May 28, 2017, 03:45:37 PM

No it wasn't because most of us hate it in covenant as well, in fact it is bewildering that Ridley would copy a film that he hates.

He said he never even saw it which makes it even more confounding.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed