Prometheus soundtrack on iTunes!

Started by Glaive, May 15, 2012, 08:03:29 AM

Author
Prometheus soundtrack on iTunes! (Read 56,862 times)

Capovin

Capovin

Earth sounds exactly like blade runner

Deuterium

Deuterium

I told Ridley Scott to hire Bear McCreary, but did he listen...............Noooooooooooooo.    >:( >:(

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

I think it's a mixed bag.

Some very nice moments in there. Some not so nice ones, but even those are merely "Eh, they'll probably work fine for the flick."

Friend from the Past, very interesting piece.

Spoiler

Could that be Weyland it's referring to? Or perhaps the "Sacrificial Jockey" making some kind of a comeback? Who knows.
[close]

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Deuterium on May 16, 2012, 06:08:39 PM

I told Ridley Scott to hire Bear McCreary, but did he listen...............Noooooooooooooo.    >:( >:(

I think that might have been worse.  But I dislike the BSG soundtrack greatly.

And the list of people I would want to do the soundtrack are either dead, or just would do such a unique and strange job that most would f**king hate it.  So I will keep that list to myself as, well, I like weird music.

Eva

Eva

A Friend From the Past sounds like something that would play over the last scenes... establishing shots or something... Then there's the possibility that the title has a double meaning and it plays while something on screen, literally makes you think of Alien...

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: fiveways on May 16, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Yeah, well you would say that...you already admitted to disliking music that actually has melodic content.  :P

I have made it clear in earlier post that Melodic soundtracks kinda turn me off.  My world is filled with buzzes, hums birdcalls, the sound of machinery more then it ever will be huge musical movements [but less then a lot of people cause shockingly i manage to make a living off the world of music].  I think a lot of sound tracks should be though of as that.  More ambient noises in the background, less huge musical cues. 

My friend, that is not "music".  Most of what you are describing is called "noise".  And movie studios already have people for that.  They are called sound engineers/designers and foley artists.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Deuterium on May 16, 2012, 06:17:55 PM

Yeah, well you would say that...you already admitted to disliking music that actually has melodic content.  :P

Actually its the shitty psedo-war drum parts that kill me.  So f**king lame.  Its for the braveheart-jock crowd.  Hate that shit in scifi.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Bear McCreary really would have been great. I don't even like BSG, but the score it has is very impressive.

Winkie Bear

My friend, that is not "music".  Most of what you are describing is called "noise".  And movie studios already have people for that.  They are called sound engineers/designers and foley artists.

Didn't Goldenthal use some ambient sounds in his score - rattling chains and the like? I seem to remember some 'making-of' video where the sound effects bods were pissed off at him nicking their jobs...

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: ucdom on May 16, 2012, 06:29:25 PM
Didn't Goldenthal use some ambient sounds in his score - rattling chains and the like?
Yes. And he used them brilliantly.

fiveways

fiveways

I don't hate all melody, I just think people want too much of it[and I am kinda sick of it, after 20 years as a semi-pro to pro musician and someone who works in music, it can get very tiring].  To me it is like harsh noise, after a while i want something very different.  Or Ambient or drone, whatever. 

I just think it is a time and place thing and maybe in a film about a bizarre other world filled with bio-mechanical terrors, a lot of melody might not be what you want.  I don't look at giger and think melody, I look at Giger and think "Merzbow".

Winkie Bear

Quote from: Cvalda on May 16, 2012, 06:31:00 PM
Quote from: ucdom on May 16, 2012, 06:29:25 PM
Didn't Goldenthal use some ambient sounds in his score - rattling chains and the like?
Yes. And he used them brilliantly.

I agree completely!

fiveways

fiveways

I have made it clear in earlier post that Melodic soundtracks kinda turn me off.  My world is filled with buzzes, hums birdcalls, the sound of machinery more then it ever will be huge musical movements [but less then a lot of people cause shockingly i manage to make a living off the world of music].  I think a lot of sound tracks should be though of as that.  More ambient noises in the background, less huge musical cues. 

"Noise" and "music" are identical phrase in my mind.  I value and view them as the same thing.

Much of the "music" I love is "noise" to most people. 

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: fiveways on May 16, 2012, 06:32:57 PM
I don't hate all melody, I just think people want too much of it[and I am kinda sick of it, after 20 years as a semi-pro to pro musician and someone who works in music, it can get very tiring].  To me it is like harsh noise, after a while i want something very different.  Or Ambient or drone, whatever.
...until you get sick of ambient droning, and want melody. :P You can like both you know, and you can strike a fantastic balance between the two for cumulatively stronger effect--the scores for ALIEN and ALIEN 3 are testament to that.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Cvalda on May 16, 2012, 06:35:54 PM
Quote from: fiveways on May 16, 2012, 06:32:57 PM
...until you get sick of ambient droning, and want melody. :P You can like both you know, and you can strike a fantastic balance between the two for cumulatively stronger effect--the scores for ALIEN and ALIEN 3 are testament to that.

I have always found it kinda cheese.  Few weave both of them together well.  It's also the instruments then choose.  I think the juxtaposition of acoustic melodic instruments and a lot of drone sounds off.  Not the right texture for the piece.  Not all but quite a bit.

Now if you play the melody on a synth, or an instrument so effected it looses its acoustic principles and sounds completely electronic, that I find more pleasing to my ears.  But this is just what I like and I expect no one else to like it.  [I just like to be clear that I am only speaking for myself, and I do not expect anyone to share the view I do at all]

I haven't seen the film.  Maybe it will work.  Just when I look at the world they are showing I don't think melody.  I barely think what most would call music.  I call it music but I will be the first to admit I have a weird vision of what music is now.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed