Prometheus soundtrack on iTunes!

Started by Glaive, May 15, 2012, 08:03:29 AM

Author
Prometheus soundtrack on iTunes! (Read 56,858 times)

x-M-x

x-M-x

is there a zip to download all ?

to damn lazy to grab each one from YT

Mechafist

Mechafist

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 15, 2012, 10:20:26 PM
Quote from: Mechafist on May 15, 2012, 09:44:15 PM
This is what i thought  :P
I liked what i heard but i was hoping to hear something more epic than that.

Music is, however, at least half, if not more, of what produces a film's emotional impact. Imagine 'Star Wars' or 'Back To The Future' with a different orchestral score! They wouldn't have been nearly as memorable as they were.

So, whatever feelings this generates in you is likely to be however much you're likely to be excited/intrigued/underwhelmed by the actual film.

Oddly, 'Alien 3' has one of the most superb soundtracks in cinema history and, therefore, could be the exception to this rule... But it's very rare.
Not telling i didn't like it  :P
I find it pretty good.

But i didn't find it as good as the Blade runner, Jurassic Park, or Back to the future soundtracks.

Anyway i haven't seen the movie yet, so i am pretty sure i will feel different about it when seeing both the movie and the music at the same time.

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Well I've listened to the entire thing three times now. It is sort of growing on me, although it is nowhere near as substantial as a stand-alone suite as I'd like. It's a kind of crazy mash up of Fifth Element, Event Horizon, Terminator 2, with some Stargate (the movie) thrown in. The better pieces include Space Jockey and David, the first because it breaks out into something quite grand, and the second for its quirky clockwork motif.
Speaking of motifs, that 8-note (or 4 x 2 note) motif in many of the earlier tracks is... a bit annoying, it's not really anything. It reminded me, for those Brits who watched the comedy 2012, of the episode where PR agency tries to find a ditty for the Olympic website and ends up with a set of seven identical notes  :laugh:

If you want to check out what I mean, it's in here at around 06:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDB9ZPLx4WE#ws

Anyway....

I still think there's nothing in the score to match ANY of these stunners (bit like the Star Trek movie in that respect)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfKuPzEicu8#ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJtLh2ZJguM#ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTvhR0lEtZM#ws

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Cvalda on May 16, 2012, 03:33:18 AM
Well, I've just finished listening to the entire score album. And it can be summed up in one word:

Dull.

Turns out those iTunes samples contain virtually all the best bits of the score. The rest of it is aimless, melody-free droning accompanied by swishy electronic sample noises. The whole thing (bar HGW's main cue) sounds like it's being performed by a chamber orchestra. I can count on one hand both the number of melodies and interesting musical ideas present in the entire hour long presentation.

This is easily the weakest score of the franchise. :( As something to play in the background of the film, it's fine, but as a memorable, standalone listening experience it is a crushing disappointment.

I go the other way, too much melody, too many real instruments.  Not enough drone and sounds.

I am so bored of melodic film soundtracks.  But it might be my fault, I expected more like the 1972 solaris soundtrack.  Now that might be too much to expect from a 2012 film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUy-Mc2nY10#ws Some melody, a ton of weird drone and LOOK!  A photo with a synthi 100, the king of analog synths.

Winkie Bear

Well it'd be no fun if we all had the same tastes. I'm glad you like it.

fiveways

fiveways

It sucks because there are parts i really like.  The drone at the beginning of "Going In" before the strings and percussion come in and kinda ruin it.  That was a nice drone.

Plus, it sounds too sequenced.  Like, it all sounds like ableton snap to grid function.  Lacks any organic quality.

Still I am gonna walk around for a few hours and listen to it. 

A lot of "Aliens" via "Star Trek: The Wraith of Khan" and "Krull" moments as well. 

There are even "Battle Beyond the Stars" moments.

Very James Horner.  Blah.

Track = "Earth"

Vangelis called, he wants his soundtrack back.  Just needs some twiddly Yamaha CS-80 bits and it would be perfect. 

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: fiveways on May 16, 2012, 04:43:27 PM
Vangelis called, he wants his soundtrack back.  Just needs some twiddly Yamaha CS-80 bits and it would be perfect.
By "perfect" you mean dated and totally incongruous with the musical landscape already mapped out in the ALIEN films, yes?

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Cvalda on May 16, 2012, 05:14:28 PM
By "perfect" you mean dated and totally incongruous with the musical landscape already mapped out in the ALIEN films, yes?

Dated?  Yes.  Out of place?  Yes.  It sounds like a track from "Blade Runner" remixed for a modern film. 

Oh god, the f**king bullshit war drums and discordant strings cliche.  That one never gets old.....

I hope this works better in conjunction with the film because on its own it lacks any identity.  This could be from any modern scifi film.

RagingDragon

I'm in the "absolutely loved it" camp.

I'll post more on the individual tracks, as I don't think the arrangement or the situation allows for a general review of the whole score, but my most pleasant surprise was the overall mood.

It's tragic, almost.  Dramatic, tense, terrifying, and very very human.  That's what nailed it for me, I think.  This isn't an Alien3 magnum opus, nor a complete mystery like Alien.  The audience knows pretty much whats up at this point.  If there's a derelict, and anything to do with the Alien, people are going to die, and horribly.

These tracks, especially the first one, The Planet, convey such a sense of powerful sacrifice, endeavor, and loss.  In a film like this with so many powerful characters, you need the focus to be on this sense of mortality and yearning to survive.  Each death is another part of the whole, and you can almost feel the entire human race hanging by this ill-fated but wonderful breakthrough mission that is Prometheus and what it means for civilization.  Just makes it that much more moving, to me.

I really didn't want some hyper-scary generic horror soundtrack, or a fake epic non-stop choir of pseudo drama and seriousness.  The minimalism of the style is so fitting, the timing and everything, really just right for me.

All I could think were David's foreboding words: "how far are you willing to go to find your answers?"

Makes me want to invest myself in the film and the characters, and from a fans point of view, that's about as successful as you can get with a score.

Enough of my shallow snobbery!  Back to listening...

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: fiveways on May 16, 2012, 05:29:50 PM
Dated?  Yes.  Out of place?  Yes.  It sounds like a track from "Blade Runner" remixed for a modern film. 
I was being fatuous. :P
It sounds nothing like Blade Runner, which had a great, melodic, theme-driven score.

T Dog

T Dog

Well it's the generic midi stuff I hoped it wouldn't be.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Cvalda on May 16, 2012, 05:32:02 PM
Quote from: fiveways on May 16, 2012, 05:29:50 PM
I was being fatuous. :P
It sounds nothing like Blade Runner, which had a great, melodic, theme-driven score.

Oh I know!

And I disagree.   The latter part of "earth".  All it is missing is a few synth doodles, deckard sitting at a piano drinking, and a unicorn running past the camera with its horn about to fall off.  That is the only Vangelis moment I have heard so far.  The rest I agree with you on.

I have made it clear in earlier post that Melodic soundtracks kinda turn me off.  My world is filled with buzzes, hums birdcalls, the sound of machinery more then it ever will be huge musical movements [but less then a lot of people cause shockingly i manage to make a living off the world of music].  I think a lot of sound tracks should be though of as that.  More ambient noises in the background, less huge musical cues. 

We agree for different reasons that it's not great and neither of us are sold on it.  I am gonna wait to see how it plays out with the movie but from the perceptive i am hearing it now, I am just not feeling it.  "Small Beginnings" is another one that confuses me.  It sounds half like the love theme from "Krull" and half like Batman is about to punch someone or say something in a growlly voice. 

Zeta Reticuli

the "Weyland" track has has the Alien score in it, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O9PDgZCc5g#

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Zeta Reticuli on May 16, 2012, 05:44:40 PM

Can't listen to it right now, but from what I remember, that cue has barely two whole notes in it, let alone any reference to the ALIEN score--that comes in the track "Friend From the Past", and it's kinda pathetically executed.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Cvalda on May 16, 2012, 05:46:58 PM
Quote from: Zeta Reticuli on May 16, 2012, 05:44:40 PM

Can't listen to it right now, but from what I remember, that cue has barely two whole notes in it, let alone any reference to the ALIEN score--that comes in the track "Friend From the Past", and it's kinda pathetically executed.

And "Birth" sounds like it has a couple samples from "alien" or the "Aliens" soundtrack that have been manipulated a little bit.  I need to revisit both of them and figure out which on it is.  But it sounds very familiar.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed