Happy Birthday David (New Prometheus Viral)

Started by shamash, Apr 17, 2012, 09:33:18 AM

Author
Happy Birthday David (New Prometheus Viral) (Read 63,056 times)

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 17, 2012, 06:00:46 PM
Quote from: RagingDragon on Apr 17, 2012, 05:35:11 PM
David seems simply programmed to understand, display, and relate to emotions, but this is Boolean algebra, which we've seen referenced several times in the viral videos.  The fact that he doesn't "feel" them means to me that they aren't generated internally.  They are simply cause and effect, exterior reactions to relate to humans, but whether or not this makes them truly "artificial" is getting in to Turing territory.

From an outside perspective, David's emotions could pass all of the mental tests that make them "real."

This also brings up John Searle's "Chinese Room" argument.  I think this all distills down to two mutually exclusive conclusions.  Either David is an intelligent, fully conscious (and self-conscious) being, with all the attributes of human consciousness...or he is a "Philosophical Zombie".  The first implies strong (full) A.I., whereas the second implies weak A.I.

I would argue that if it is the first, then David should possess the capacity for internal emotional states, due to his true consciousness, and especially due to the combination of a) empathy with b) the awareness of consciousness in others.

hi Deuterium. (and anyone else interested in A.I)

im not sure which country youre from but you might want to watch Horizon, the hunt for A.I on bbci player if you haven't seen it already, the robots near the end that develop their own language to communicate and teach each other things are awesome.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01fmbvb

thanks

rich

Infected

That David robot got BAD written all over his face.

I think he is gonna be the badass of 2012

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Apr 17, 2012, 06:17:08 PM

im not sure which country youre from but you might want to watch Horizon, the hunt for A.I on bbci player if you haven't seen it already, the robots near the end that develop their own language to communicate and teach each other things are awesome.

thanks

rich

Thanks for the heads-up, Rich.  I can't access the BBCi player, here in the USA...and, unfortunately, "Horizon" is not a program currently available on BBC America.  So, I may have have to explore alternative routes...that some of my human counterparts might find distressful, or unethical.
  :P ;) ;D

chupacabras acheronsis

Deuterium

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Apr 17, 2012, 06:28:01 PM
right on, boss.

http://openproxy.co.uk/

Sweet!  Now I won't have to implement my Special Order 936.

ikarop

Saw this earlier. I guess this is the TV version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Es_JimQFXw#ws

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 17, 2012, 06:25:49 PM
Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Apr 17, 2012, 06:17:08 PM

thanks

rich

Thanks for the heads-up, Rich.  I can't access the BBCi player, here in the USA...and, unfortunately, "Horizon" is not a program currently available on BBC America.  So, I may have have to explore alternative routes...that some people might find distressful, or unethical.  :P ;) ;D

its got some great stuff on it, youll like it, it features searles chinese room, the main hypothesis for the robots at the end is the guy that made them figures that a machine neads a human style body to develop real a.i so it becomes aware of itself.

here is a nice "unethical" link for you my friend ;)

http://www.free-TV-video-online.me/internet/horizon/season_50.html

thanks

rich

Deuterium

Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Apr 17, 2012, 06:34:44 PM
its got some great stuff on it, youll like it, it features searles chinese room, the main hypothesis for the robots at the end is the guy that made them figures that a machine neads a human style body to develop real a.i so it becomes aware of itself.

here is a nice "unethical" link for you my friend ;)

http://www.free-TV-video-online.me/internet/horizon/season_50.html

thanks

rich

Thanks, Rich.  Now I recognize it..especially after seeing it is on it's 50th season.  This show (Horizon) was the inspiration for the American PBS program "Nova".  Indeed, I think sometimes now there may be a bit of cross pollination...where Nova adapts a Horizon episode, and vice versa.

Effectz

Good viral ad.

ikarop

ikarop

They did another update to the official site. Added plenty of new images.

https://www.weylandindustries.com/

Oblong_Box

Oblong_Box

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 17, 2012, 02:27:54 PM
Quote from: tmjhur on Apr 17, 2012, 11:33:11 AM
"I can carry out directives that my human counterparts might find distressing.....or immoral" :laugh: :'( :-* :-\ :-X :-[ :P :P ::) ::) ???

Yeah, I found that statement to be a bit too FRIGGIN' OBVIOUS.  Not sure why the writer(s) decided to include that remark.  They might as well have given David a handlebar moustache so he could twirl one of the ends, while he said the line.  While this doesn't necessarily mean that Fassbender's David will do something "unethical" or immoral, in the film...the inclusion of this statement equates to hitting the viewer over the head with a mallet.  Not very subtle.

Eh. I think it's effective foreshadowing. Of course to someone like you and me who are actively discussing the film, and its potential plot developments and themes, it would seem somewhat obvious, but to the regular moviegoer, it would not be so.

Also, we aren't entirely sure how this may play out in the plot, but could just be a way of generally detailing his capabilities. Saying that it is "hitting the viewer over the head with a mallet" I think is an exaggeration. It is a slight bit of potential foreshadowing, and isn't spelling anything out directly.

QuoteAlso, at the very end of the video, there appears to be a contradiction.  The Weyland acronym for these androids is "TIPE", standing for:  Technological, Intellectual, Physical, Emotional

By "emotional", they're selling it in how it can "understand" and simulate the emotion, but not entirely "feel" it. It's not a contradiction, just a way to make it easier for a potential consumer to connect with David, just as he says his emotional simulations are designed to make it easier to interact with him earlier on.

QuoteWhy exactly would Weyland let it's customer's (and the world) know that their androids could potentially perform unethical and potentially illegal acts...even if it were true.  I can't see how that would benefit the Weyland Corp.  If anything, it opens up the door for catastrophic legal liability.

I would imagine that David has some limit to his potential "unethical" actions. It is described that unnecessary violence, cruelty, and war are things that "sadden" him, then it would be safe to assume that he is designed to not promote or be involved with such things. Though, of course, he could be a tad glitchy, lol.

Blanco

Looks like the viral campain is going in to overdrive.  Stills lots to unlock.

Capovin

That third image is veery "Alien" looking

Predaker

If we get infected by the prometheus viral videos, will a space tapir grow within us?

I'm going to check my temperature!

Eva

^
New pics

Building Better Worlds
indeed...  8)

Are those solar plants on a remote world in pic2?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed