Happy Birthday David (New Prometheus Viral)

Started by shamash, Apr 17, 2012, 09:33:18 AM

Author
Happy Birthday David (New Prometheus Viral) (Read 63,060 times)

ikarop

ikarop

http://www.projectprometheus.com/

https://www.weylandindustries.com/site/david/

Edit: Mmmh that's odd they just removed the page. It was a login page and it had a text box for the code. The code says "confidence" btw.

bioweapon

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 17, 2012, 05:07:29 PM
Quote from: Despicable Dugong on Apr 17, 2012, 05:05:13 PM
Im more interested in the big design that you see after the close up shot of him tapping the pen. Anyone got a large sized image of it?
Quote from: Eva on Apr 17, 2012, 03:22:02 PM
Prt Sc  ----->  new sig   :)
That huge mural/picture he's seen looking at.... do you think it represents buildings/WY headquarters, electronic circuitry or something else entirely?

is a city plan. you can see at the bottom a kind of Vatican buildings

and theres a mix with Washington Capitol Mall at the north.

remeber after building worlds, they have to build cities. maybe a Hadleys Hope prototype? dont think so, it looks more a monumental model.

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 17, 2012, 03:42:33 PM
Quote from: LarsVader on Apr 17, 2012, 02:34:48 PM
Him appearing/reacting emotional doesn't necesserly mean that he does feel emotions.

Of course, the simple resolution to this question is to sweep the issue under the proverbial rug, with the explanation that the A.I. programming somehow prevents or precludes emotional states.  Another similar argument is that the A.I. is constrained by some hypothetical emotional inhibitor.  Yet, IMHO, this is an entirely unsatisfactory resolution.  In some sense, a fully conscious A.I. has to operate beyond (or transcend) any deterministic "program"...otherwise it couldn't be considered truly conscious.   

good statement. this and the unethical thing not being comercially profitable for WY. I wonder who came first David or Ash, since Nostromo was an old ship and Prometheus presumably has everything at ultimate tech. Maybe Ash evolved as a secret proyect for unethical actions  ;)

Glaive

Glaive

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 17, 2012, 04:49:19 PM
The quick images shown to David are from the Rorschach test.

Rorschach test?
...or pre-cursur to the Voight-Kampff test?

Kol

maybe it's the headquarter of weyland corp/industries in san francisco?

ikarop

Anyone got the code thing working? The page freezes for me. Firefox doesn't like it apparently.

Kol

Quote from: ikarop on Apr 17, 2012, 05:31:05 PM
Anyone got the code thing working? The page freezes for me. Firefox doesn't like it apparently.

opera either.
but i think the site is still under construction & maybe the traffic is currently too high.

ikarop

It has something to do with a Java script. Someone probably messed up.

RagingDragon

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 17, 2012, 03:42:33 PM
Quote from: LarsVader on Apr 17, 2012, 02:34:48 PM
Him appearing/reacting emotional doesn't necesserly mean that he does feel emotions.

I always found this (the unemotional android) to be a completely ridiculous "trope" that has been sustained in the sci-fi genre.  We are expected to believe that basically every characteristic of human consciousness is realized in these futuristic, advanced Artificial Intelligences:

Cognition
Self-awareness
Self-reflection
Introspection
Intentionality
Perceptual recognition and awareness that other beings are also individual, conscious agents
Empathy

Yet, for no good reason (except that it helps the narrative),  A.I. / androids in sci-fi are generally denied the ability to experience internal emotional states.  Why?  My guess is that this is the easiest and simpliest way for sci-fi writers to represent a clear distinction between the android character and the human character.  It is a simplistic literary crutch to signify the "Other".

However, an A.I. intelligence that features all the attributes (see list above) of human consciousness, IMHO would also be expected to "feel" and perceive different internal emotional states.  The denial of emotion is especially problematic when the A.I. clearly exhibits both empathy and the recognition of consciousness in others.

Of course, the simple resolution to this question is to sweep the issue under the proverbial rug, with the explanation that the A.I. programming somehow prevents or precludes emotional states.  Another similar argument is that the A.I. is constrained by some hypothetical emotional inhibitor.  Yet, IMHO, this is an entirely unsatisfactory resolution.  In some sense, a fully conscious A.I. has to operate beyond (or transcend) any deterministic "program"...otherwise it couldn't be considered truly conscious.   
To me, it seems that emotions are something that humans had to learn how to control properly to operate at the most efficient levels and achieve the greatest scientific discoveries.  The very nature of science demands the utmost in unbiased, logical observations and records.  Emotions are, naturally, detrimental to this process, but there are lots of other things they provide which help science in many ways, least of which being the understanding that comes from dealing with said emotions.

It stands to reason that emotions could be eliminated entirely if these other factors were (or even could be) taken into account.  But you would have to either discern or guess at what unquantifiable attributes you could be sacrificing if you created a being with no emotional response.  Creativity, I'm sure, would suffer, but that's just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

David seems simply programmed to understand, display, and relate to emotions, but this is Boolean algebra, which we've seen referenced several times in the viral videos.  The fact that he doesn't "feel" them means to me that they aren't generated internally.  They are simply cause and effect, exterior reactions to relate to humans, but whether or not this makes them truly "artificial" is getting in to Turing territory.

From an outside perspective, David's emotions could pass all of the mental tests that make them "real."

ikarop

Deuterium

It still is a "Rorsharch" test.  Instead of a randomized image formed by the blotting of ink spatter, it is a digitized version of a bilaterly symmetric random image.

Vulhala

Holy freaking shit.

Deuterium

Quote from: RagingDragon on Apr 17, 2012, 05:35:11 PM
David seems simply programmed to understand, display, and relate to emotions, but this is Boolean algebra, which we've seen referenced several times in the viral videos.  The fact that he doesn't "feel" them means to me that they aren't generated internally.  They are simply cause and effect, exterior reactions to relate to humans, but whether or not this makes them truly "artificial" is getting in to Turing territory.

From an outside perspective, David's emotions could pass all of the mental tests that make them "real."

This also brings up John Searle's "Chinese Room" argument.  I think this all distills down to two mutually exclusive conclusions.  Either David is an intelligent, fully conscious (and self-conscious) being, with all the attributes of human consciousness...or he is a "Philosophical Zombie".  The first implies strong (full) A.I., whereas the second implies weak A.I.

I would argue that if it is the first, then David should possess the capacity for internal emotional states, due to his true consciousness, and especially due to the combination of a) empathy with b) the awareness of consciousness in others.

Space Jockey King

Don't you think that David could turn out bad just like Ash from Alien? remember what Bishop said on Aliens the earlier models were twitchy , and Prometheus is supposedly set before Alien so you know...

ThisBethesdaSea

I never heard the 'immoral' word spoken, after 3 viewings. This piece to me, is way more impactful the the original (but still brilliant) Ted Talk.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed