Overrated, Overappreciated, Overrecognized

Started by OmegaZilla, Apr 04, 2010, 05:12:36 PM

Author
Overrated, Overappreciated, Overrecognized (Read 239,905 times)

MadassAlex

I feel the opposite about the pacing. Predator has amazing pacing as far as my thoughts are concerned. Easily the best of any of the films we commonly discuss on this website.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: MadassAlex on May 09, 2010, 03:02:54 PM
I feel the opposite about the pacing. Predator has amazing pacing as far as my thoughts are concerned. Easily the best of any of the films we commonly discuss on this website.
Alien and Aliens?? :o

huntin8-t0n

Quote from: TJ Doc on May 09, 2010, 02:44:37 PM
Quote from: 08yeyinde on May 09, 2010, 06:26:42 AM
Quote from: TJ Doc on May 09, 2010, 01:12:29 AM
I want to type about Predator being overrated... but I don't think it would end well for me.

Well, I'm interested why you think it, without any will to moan after hearing your opinion. Just to mention.

Well, alright then.

Firstly, I do like the film a lot. A long time ago I stated on this forum that it was 'quintessential Arnie', and I stand by that. There are some great action sequences as well as a few pretty suspenseful moments, and the creature is great.

But.

I watched it not long ago, and I couldn't help but begin to feel a little bored at points. It seems like for every action/suspense scene, there's about three where we're just trudging... really slowly... through the jungle with Arghnult and co. And while there's nothing particularly wrong with the acting (I would in fact call Dutch one of Arnie's finest roles), the characters just aren't very engaging; and by that I mean that I don't really care for them that much, and they can't pull me into the film (err, so to type) and heighten the experience as a result.

I dunno, I guess it's just lost its effect over repeated viewings. Still great though.

Well, after many repeated views I didn't really get bored. I like that the characters are introduced by little pieces, and aren't that deep in general, it adds to the feeling of hunt for me. Some prey, which is worthy, but isn't exclusive. It's a good contradiction of Dutch's role in the end, and makes it memorable and exciting as hell. But characters aren't dull, so you can wish for their survival.
And the marching in the jungle, well, it's a matter of taste I think. I love jungles, so even that without any action could awe me. But there are much exciting moments I think, and in general the point is that theaction is accelerating towards the end.

But I think your opinion has a base, no matter I see it otherwise. Thanks for sharing it.

TJ Doc

I understand.  :)

And about pacing (MadassAlex), I've always thought the film was a little too slow. And on the other hand, I've always thought P2 was waaaaay too fast.  :P

Maybe Predators will hit the sweet spot for me.

MadassAlex

Quote from: OmegaZilla on May 09, 2010, 03:04:13 PM
Alien and Aliens?? :o

Alien's pacing is brilliant for what it is. I couldn't think of a better way to do it. But as far as a movie that's meant to be entertaining rather than balls-out frightening all the time goes, Predator does it. The thing about Alien is that it spends time -- needed time -- introducing us to a plausible future scenario, explaining a new world to us. And it builds tension and fascination while doing that. Predator isn't restrained by that sort of requirement. It can throw you into the action, because you know how our planet works, you know how our social systems work, you know how our technology works.

Aliens has brilliant pacing when it comes Ripley leaving Gateway onward, perhaps apart from a few Director's Cut additions that damage it a little. The introduction and all that is all brilliant the first twenty times, but as far as repeated viewings go, both Alien and Predator -- especially the latter -- hold up time and time again.

St.Sinner

although i love it...
The Evil Dead is overrated

Keg

Quote from: TJ Doc on May 09, 2010, 03:08:55 PM
I understand.  :)

And about pacing (MadassAlex), I've always thought the film was a little too slow. And on the other hand, I've always thought P2 was waaaaay too fast.  :P

Maybe Predators will hit the sweet spot for me.

I too thought Predator 2 was too fast and in your face at times. I know they didnt need the slow pace and build up, because it had been done in Predator but you can still slow things down in a sequel without going overboard. Hell look at Aliens. It still takes a hell of alot of time to get going, and builds the tensions and suspense brilliantly even though the audience knows what the creature is.

I thought Predator got the pacing spot on actually. Its not as slow as Alien (As MadassAlex points out that was necessary and it worked great) but it still takes its time to build up, giving us little snippets here and there to further the mystery until all hell breaks loose. Even after the intial attacks the audience is still unclear whats happening for another 15-20 minutes until the shit really hits the fan in the last half hour or so.

Anto of the Sand

Any movie with Simon Pegg.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

AvPR is pretty overrated.

Purebreedalien

Quote from: Anto of the Sand on May 09, 2010, 07:18:34 PM

Heresy!

Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are amazing!

Anto of the Sand

Quote from: Purebreedalien on May 09, 2010, 07:21:11 PM

Heresy!

No....theyre really not. At all. In any way.

Purebreedalien

Quote from: Anto of the Sand on May 09, 2010, 07:23:34 PM
Quote from: Purebreedalien on May 09, 2010, 07:21:11 PM

Heresy!

No....theyre really not. At all. In any way.

I beg to differ. Shaun of the Dead is one of the best zombie movies, the zombies weren't the point of comedy, it was character driven and the zombies were frightening. Definately one of my favourite films.

The Captain

What is Shaun of the Dead and who is Simon Pegg?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: The Captain on May 09, 2010, 07:35:02 PM
Click and Click. ;)

Anto of the Sand

Quote from: The Captain on May 09, 2010, 07:35:02 PM
Rubbish and Rubbish.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed