Overrated, Overappreciated, Overrecognized

Started by OmegaZilla, Apr 04, 2010, 05:12:36 PM

Author
Overrated, Overappreciated, Overrecognized (Read 238,712 times)

SiL

Oh my child.

Crazy Rich

Kradan

https://youtu.be/ztABYog5x3o

I like Agent Smith's thinking here  :D

Immortan Jonesy

Is the word Overrated a bit overrated?

Kradan

Obsession with realism and subtelty in modern media

BlueMarsalis79

I think you are mistaking realism for grit.

Kradan

Well, that too. But I was talking more about how people tend to over-react over minute things not making complete sense in a movie or any other media

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 21, 2022, 10:30:31 PM
But I was talking more about how people tend to over-react over minute things not making complete sense in a movie or any other media

For all the problems The Last Jedi has, my eyes roll with criticism of the scientific inaccuracy of the Resistance's bomber ships. I mean, I know a fictional universe has its own rules and everything, but it's STAR WARS God damn it!  :laugh:

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 21, 2022, 11:14:20 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Feb 21, 2022, 10:30:31 PM
But I was talking more about how people tend to over-react over minute things not making complete sense in a movie or any other media

For all the problems The Last Jedi has, my eyes roll with criticism of the scientific inaccuracy of the Resistance's bomber ships. I mean, I know a fictional universe has its own rules and everything, but it's STAR WARS God damn it!  :laugh:

But... even in it's own universe the bombers don't make sense.  :P

Local Trouble

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 21, 2022, 10:30:31 PMI was talking more about how people tend to over-react over minute things not making complete sense in a movie or any other media

Depends on the movie.

Fury turning into a Rambo movie in its final act was bogus because everything before then had clearly been so realistic, and it just didn't gel.

But the latest Fast & Furious film having them go into space doesn't bother me one bit because those films have always been stupid to some degree. And hell, I like Commando, and that's just wall-to-wall dumb.

Ivan The Insect

Modern "retro" games.

I mainly play old games, especially early 3D shooters, and honestly this new trend of capitalising on nostalgia during what is arguably the most stale era of gaming is a bit... dishonest. Yes there is a need and demand for retro-looking games but what gave games of that era their charm was how clunky and limited they were. It was the hardware limitations of the late 90s and early 00s that forced developers to create new and exciting art styles and gameplay mechanics to compensate for the low-fidelity of the graphics and overall engine. Unless modern "retro" ditch all the technological advancements of the past 2 decades I don't see the point of calling them retro based on looks alone.

Not to mention how many indie games use this strategy, relying mostly on nostalgia while innovating so little. A good example for an indie game that actually innovated so much while not being as visually or thematically appealing to the masses is Infested Planet and honestly that game has never been given enough attention, one it surely deserves for what it attempts to do, and for a one-man game it's helluva achievement.

Kradan

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 23, 2022, 06:58:23 PMLove

This was probably the most edgelordy thing I've posted on this forum. I'm super-jealous of all of you who know what it's like to love and to be loved

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed