Started by Local Trouble, Mar 29, 2024, 12:52:46 AM

Was Blade Runner actually a good movie?

Yes
24 (96%)
No
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author
Was Blade Runner actually a good movie? (Read 1,337 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Hey everyone,

I've been mulling over classic sci-fi films and couldn't help but dwell on "Blade Runner." Despite its now legendary status among sci-fi enthusiasts and film scholars, my understanding is that it didn't exactly make a splash in terms of critical acclaim or box office success upon its initial release. Some say it was ahead of its time, with its dystopian vision and complex themes concerning identity, humanity, and technology. Others, however, argue it might be overhyped, benefiting from the nostalgia and the romanticism of underappreciated art being recognized in hindsight.

Given this polarizing reception, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the matter. Do you believe "Blade Runner" truly is the masterpiece it's often hailed to be? Or do you think it's a case of an overrated film that gained traction years after its release, perhaps more for its aesthetic and influence on the genre than its narrative strength or coherence?

I'm particularly interested in hearing from those who may have seen it around its original release and have observed its trajectory through the lens of cultural and cinematic evolution. How has your perception of the film changed over time, if at all? And for those who've only discovered it in recent years, does it hold up to the contemporary standards of science fiction and storytelling?

Looking forward to a lively and insightful discussion!

Your friend,

Local Trouble

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Someone wake up @𝔈𝔩 𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔞𝔳𝔬 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔞𝔧𝔢𝔯𝔬  :o

BlueMarsalis79

SM

It's slow. There are times when it's in danger of disappearing up it's own arsehole.

At the time it was marketed as action adventure, and everyone bought into it because Han Solo and Indiana Jones was in it. I didn't see it in cinemas but later on video or TV and I thought what the hell is this rainy dark depressing crap? And why can I see the wires on that flying car? I re-evaluated it as I got older and liked it more.

Now it's a movie like 2001 or Apocalypse Now where I can enjoy the slowness and just get a bit lost in it.

Overall I'd say yes it's good, don't think it's a masterpiece.  And obviously influential.

aliens13

aliens13

Yes, it's a masterpiece. I think that almost nobody is going to be disagree with that, but yes it's slow af and I never could watch the entire damn thing in one shot. I always watched one half a day and the next day the other half, and that considering that I love long and slow movies mostly

Quote from: SM on Mar 29, 2024, 01:08:10 AMIt's slow. There are times when it's in danger of disappearing up it's own arsehole.

At the time it was marketed as action adventure, and everyone bought into it because Han Solo and Indiana Jones was in it. I didn't see it in cinemas but later on video or TV and I thought what the hell is this rainy dark depressing crap? And why can I see the wires on that flying car? I re-evaluated it as I got older and liked it more.

Now it's a movie like 2001 or Apocalypse Now where I can enjoy the slowness and just get a bit lost in it.

Overall I'd say yes it's good, don't think it's a masterpiece.  And obviously influential.
Well, Apocalypse Now (the theatrical cut) it's one of my favourite movies and I never considered slow. For me it's like Alien, I didn't feel like this movies are slow. I just love all the ride. Having saying that, the extended cut of Apocalypse Now it's real pain, the newer scenes didn't made the movie better

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Well for me personally, when I first saw it as a kid, I'm not sure I finished it (I think I nodded off waiting for something to happen, possibly because I was expecting a sci-fi action flick). However revisiting it years later, I fell in love with it (particularly the Final Cut). I think in honesty, I didn't quite understand it the first time around. Then again, tastes change as you get older; in example 9 year old me would have rated 'Aliens' as my fave flick followed by 'Alien 3' and 'Alien' last... adult me puts that list in reverse order... so yeah.

Blade Runner was a snooze fest on first viewing. Now? I could watch it on repeat. (Just watched a copy of the theatrical cut I got on 35mm last week). I own every comic book, all the novels, binged Black Lotus on release, had 2049 on pre-order, can't wait for the new TV series, I'm working through the 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' comics /graphic novels - and have started a play though of the 1997 point and click game. Can't get enough of it. I think it's one of those movies that is often misunderstood on first viewing.

It's up there with the Ghost in the Shell franchise for me.

EDIT: It's worth noting, one of the nicest ways to watch Blade Runner (to me) is the fan released 'Penultimate Cut' - basically it's the Final Cut, but with the original colour grading restored(more brown tones than the new blue/teal presentation) and all original effects have been restored (minus the strings on the spinners)

Trailer: https://youtu.be/nsdmYjF_064?si=DpkdIDdfwBaJ2l9O

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Mar 29, 2024, 12:59:18 AMSomeone wake up @𝔈𝔩 𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔞𝔳𝔬 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔞𝔧𝔢𝔯𝔬  :o

Mr. Clemens

I was eleven that year. I was majorly hyped for the release, while I recall one of my friends dismissively saying, "I don't like his haircut."

Bought the Marvel comic adaptation. Loved it. Bought Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, loved that. Went to E.T. with my brother, and was this close to sneaking into Blade Runner, but thought better of it (in those days, ushers would patrol the aisles and kick you out).

Missed it in the theatres, but saw it immediately when it came out on video in '83. So then, on top of the story, I got the music, I got the sound, I got the visual effects, I got it all, and I f**king loved it.

So even without having seen the film, I was captivated by Blade Runner, and I think that says a lot.

nanison

nanison

People massively changing their opinion over time is herd like behavior, typically human.

Personally I love the films soundtrack, sounds design, set design and overall look and atmosphere and I can watch it for those reasons but it is probably not a masterpiece I'd say because yes it is boring and I have been known to fall asleep while watching it.

Alien is also slow but there is an ever present sense of doom which keeps me glued to the screen, blade runner just leisurely moves ahead, it is kind of a dream state.

Kradan

BigDaddyJohn

Absolute masterpiece.

oduodu

imho it s a good movie. i don t consider my opinion on movies as a gold standard of any kind.

but

i think most will safely say it s a good movie that you can rewatch now and then. that s my take on it.

question:

how many cuts does bladerunner have?

and which one is considered the best. i am sure most people knows this but how many people have seen the final and presumably best cut?

Nightmare Asylum

Final Cut is definitely the best cut, and my go-to for rewatches. I adore the movie. It sounds like hyperbole, but it's quite possibly the best looking movie ever made, honestly, and I find the film to be just utterly hypnotic and captivating, and that doesn't let up no matter how many times I watch it.

nanison

Last year I saw it on tv and it had the ending where Deckard rides off with the girl at the end. What cut is that?

Salt The Fries

Quote from: nanison on Mar 29, 2024, 04:29:56 PMLast year I saw it on tv and it had the ending where Deckard rides off with the girl at the end. What cut is that?
It's a theatrical cut that employs unused stock footage from The Shining and adds that voiceover. It's not the ending Scott wanted. And this is the ending I personally don't like, either.

Quote from: SM on Mar 29, 2024, 01:08:10 AMIt's slow. There are times when it's in danger of disappearing up it's own arsehole.

Good, not masterpiece, influential. I can agree with this assessment.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed