Ray Harryhausen
4 (16%)
Stan Winston
13 (52%)
Equal
8 (32%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author
Ray Harryhausen or Stan Winston? (Read 3,602 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I look at it this way: as much as I love Jurassic Park and the dinosaurs in it b/c I'm a dino freak, One Million Years B.C. and its dinosaurs for some reason, unleash my inner child, so to speak.

That's one reason why I think Harryhausen is such a genius b/c he creates unintentional nostalgia.

Nightwalker

and yet winston is winning the poll ???

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I think it's b/c most people are familiar with the name Ray Harryhausen and not so much his work like Stan Winston.

SM

SM

I doubt most of the kids here are familiar with even the name 'Harryhausen'.

Nightwalker

haha so true sm :D

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Jul 22, 2008, 12:20:22 AM
I doubt most of the kids here are familiar with even the name 'Harryhausen'.

You're probably right. Though I would think people born up to 1990 at least would have heard of him.

SM

SM

I'd be surprised.  I was born on long time before that and my first exposure to him was Clash Of The Titans.  These days kids might have only heard the name as the restaurant in Monsters Inc.

Nightwalker

ahhh clash of the titans...my first harryhausen too,
argonauts was an early one,
the sinbads were never shown as much.

severen76

severen76

I know of him not really to familiar with his work in films though. I've seen The Clash Of The Titans, Jason And The Argonauts and a few Sinbad films, although I'm not sure of their names apart from The Seventh Voyage.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

The only Harryhausen movies I've seen are The Beast from 20 000 Fathoms, The Valley of Gwangi, and One Million Years B.C.. All of them were great movies.

Like I said before; what makes Harryhausen so good is that he could take the most fake-looking model and make it seem real. Winston could make anything look real as well yes, but he had CGI which is more conducive to the task.

Nightwalker

not sure if winston actually did the computer side of work,he mainly drew and designed the creatures,modelled them but i dont think he did any cgi work on comps.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

In which case I'd still give Harryhausen more credit b/c not only did he design his creatures, but he also animated them himself.

SM

SM

I don't think Winston did any CGI did he?  Similar to ADI, he did costumes, make up, animatronics etc.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

CGI was used in the end for certain sequences, but like Nightwalker said, he might not have done the CGI work himself.

Nightwalker

no...i think he was just the creator n artist behind them.
clay work modelling and other materials was also stans game.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed