Ray Harryhausen
4 (16%)
Stan Winston
13 (52%)
Equal
8 (32%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author
Ray Harryhausen or Stan Winston? (Read 3,601 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I was watching One Million Years B.C. the other day and then I was reflecting on Stan Winston's death and it just got me thinking; who's created a greater legacy in the special FX industry?

I think they're both equal, but Ray Harryhausen was so good at what he did. If anyone could make clay-made dinosaurs seem real, it's him.

Private Hudson

Stan, he was a legend. May he R.I.P. :'(

Nightwalker

doom matey...winston is the man...for art and imagination for sure BUT harryhausen is a genius of an epic scale.his work is stop motion,its very very hard and time consuming..u cant beat it for artistic skill,eye coordination and commitment.
have u seen all rays films...the monsters are pure brilliance even today.its ray all the way for this one.
RAY ;D

gameoverman

Ray Harryhausen (wow, can't believe he's still alive).. and George Pal were basically the Stan Winston/George Lucas of their day.

SiL

SiL

Except George Pal was a halfway decent director who didn't shit on his own creations years down the line for a personal wankfest at the cost of the alienation of his fanbase.

I voted equal.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Wasn't Winston influenced by Harryhausen?

Alienseseses

Though Harryhausen is great, none of his stuff actually convinced me, where Winston's stuff was a lot more realistic.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Well, consider the era in which Harryhausen worked. You're talking about 1960s and 1970s special FXs vs. modern-day CGI work.

Alienseseses

Hey, I said he was great. Thing is, on a technical standard, I say Winston is better. I mean, Harryhausen is a pioneer, sure, but that's not what this is about. If it was, there would only be one choice in the poll. Take a Jurrassic Park dinosaur and put it next to a harryhausen thing, and you understand that I can't take era into consideration here.

Nightwalker

ray was a pioneer as too was winston in his generation of work.
but u cant compare rays work to winstons,they are different fields for a start and rays is a much harder and skilled field at that.
winston designed creatures and made models but he didnt bring them to life.ray did all that winston did in design AND brought them to life brilliantly.

if u go on my flixster link in my sig,then go to my polls section on my flixster profile...there is a harryhausen poll i made with all his monster creations from most of his films.

SM

SM

Harryhausen.

Uncanny Antman

Ray wins by default by being alive.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Nightwalker on Jul 20, 2008, 04:49:36 PM
ray was a pioneer as too was winston in his generation of work.
but u cant compare rays work to winstons,they are different fields for a start and rays is a much harder and skilled field at that.
winston designed creatures and made models but he didnt bring them to life.ray did all that winston did in design AND brought them to life brilliantly.

if u go on my flixster link in my sig,then go to my polls section on my flixster profile...there is a harryhausen poll i made with all his monster creations from most of his films.

What he said. Ray really made special FX central to sci-fi films I think and inspired a whole generation of movie makers just like Winston.

SM

SM

QuoteRay wins by default by being alive.

Oh yeah, you went there!

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Alienseseses on Jul 20, 2008, 03:53:26 PM
I mean, Harryhausen is a pioneer, sure, but that's not what this is about.
Kind'a is. The question is who had a bigger impact on special effects, and there's not an effects person alive who hasn't been inspired by Harryhausen's work.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed