Xeno-biology and The Alien Home World

Started by Hankerson, Feb 18, 2007, 08:36:12 PM

Author
Xeno-biology and The Alien Home World (Read 1,941 times)

Hankerson

Hankerson

I've never been entirely satisfied with the "alien home world" presented thus far.

The Xenomorph is a rapidly reproducing apex-predatory species with a high rate of consumption. This indicates a large planet, dense with life like nothing we've ever seen, even in the Congo. I'm talking "plants" and prey-animals that reproduce like nobody's business, plus other apex-species in competition with the Xenomorph.

On earth all animals share certain attributes like iron based blood and similar methods of reproduction. The acid-blood may not even be a defense mechanism; for all we know all fauna on the alien home world may share this attribute, from the meekest animals to the most ferocious beasts.

Look at the variety found in earth mammals alone, all sharing fur, iron-blood, the same reproduction methods, nursing of young, the same basic internal organs and bone structures. What if the Xenomorph is merely one example of an entire group as diverse as mammals? How many such groups are there?

There may even be civilizations comprised of sentient beings from the same group as the Xenomorph; the way humans and tigers are both mammals?

Hangman

One thing nature shows us  is that the most hostile environments create the most hostile organisms.  In order to survive an organism must be able to adapt to its eco-system, predators, and prey.

The alien is extremely hostile - both in action and physiology.  It is also has great strength, and a remarkable ability to adapt.  My personal belief is that if the alien evolved it evolved on a world that wad so extremely hostile that no life form that we could currently conceive could exist on it.

It's exoskeleton can withstand extreme heat and cold as well as tremendous pressure... or the lack there of.  Personally I think it would be a hot planet - mainly because the alien always seems to nest in hot areas (near the reactor core of the Nostromo (if I remember from the book correctly), the processing station on LV-426, in the basement of the mining facility on Fury 161 (presumably some of those pipes carried hot water), and near the reactor core of of the Auriga).  And if the alien could withstand molten lead I'd wager it's home planet was hotter than the processing station on LV-426.  It also doesn't appear to need O2 to survive, so the atmosphere could most likely be toxic to your run-of -the-mill carbon-based life form.

...The blood, now this is an interesting trait.  My guess is that on a home world the alien would not be at the top of the food chain, but perhaps somewhere in the middle... why else would it evolve something like reactive blood?  Numerous plant and animal species on Earth have evolved to incorporate some sort on noxious defense against predators so that they taste bad... I see no other reason for the alien's circulatory fluids to be acidic if it didn't have to fend off a predator.  Being in the middle of a food chain might also explain the alien's need to be extremely prolific: the more offspring there are the better the chances the species would survive.

But there's a problem here.  There are several unanswered questions - such as its adaptability, the fact that it doesn't seem to find a balance with its environment (it just seems to take it over), its ability to exist in extreme cold and low pressure environments, and the fact that its seems unfazed by lack of atmosphere.  If we look at these as well as it's reactive blood, it's ability to withstand heat and pressure, and the fact that it's exoskeleton has enough tensile strength to stand up to small arms fire at close range (Gormon in the air shaft) I can't help but think that no one environment could exist that would present the need for each of these traits.  But rather maybe these traits were created to so that the alien could exist in almost any environment.  I.E. - perhaps the alien was bioengineered for a purpose, rather than having evolved on its own.

Hankerson

Hankerson

Well, according H.R.Giger the Xenomorphs are bio-mechanical and come from the same world as most of his creations. I understand that they were engineered but you can't just start from scratch, you have to start with some form of source material. Who ever created them had to start with a template animal of some kind. Many of the template animal's original traits should still exist in the altered version that we know, such as the way they reproduce, for example. Plus they have been filtered through other natural processes since they were first created.

Imagine an entire xeno-world populated by Giger's nightmares! Giger (http://giger.com/) designed the "Space Jockey" as well and his design doesn't look anything like the ones in the comic books; as you can see below in the Jockey's hieroglyph panel below.

gameoverman

That's interesting - a whole planet covered in Giger-ish creatures.  :o

According to Ridley Scott, they were apparently engineered by the Jockeys.  How or to what extent is unknown.

SM

SM

Don't think I've ever heard Ridley say they were engineered by the Jockies.

Extroheal

Me neither. I've just heard him say that the Space Jockey's race used the alien eggs as bombs or something, not that they created them.

ZombieSlayer909

Yeah that's an awesome idea.

And even Ridley himself said that he would like to do a story where we explore the alien or space jockey home world.

gameoverman

Quote from: SM on Apr 03, 2007, 10:40:56 PM
Don't think I've ever heard Ridley say they were engineered by the Jockies.

You're right.  What I meant to say is that Ridley said something about the aliens being military applications of some type.  I'm not too sure but he said something along those lines in the commentary.

Ansul

Hmm... That's interesting. I wouldn't mind getting a look at their homeworld. I thought of Aliens as bees or ants, perhaps there are rivaling hives?

Nightmare

i dont think i would like to see their homeworld, ppl could easly think it sucked and the franchise would lose a lot of fans, showing their orgin and homeworld could be very disapointing.

so its better to give a chance to imagine it our own way, so obody gets disapointed

Ansul

Quote from: Nightmare on Jun 03, 2007, 06:52:13 PM
i dont think i would like to see their homeworld, ppl could easly think it sucked and the franchise would lose a lot of fans, showing their orgin and homeworld could be very disapointing.

so its better to give a chance to imagine it our own way, so obody gets disapointed

The same would have gone for the release of AvP. For Alien alone. For Predator alone. Still they released those. I think that the same goes for every movie. I think that some would be disappointed, while others mystified.

If we only imagine it our own way, then no one knows how things really are. I think that it might just be a good idea.

gameoverman

Quote from: Nightmare on Jun 03, 2007, 06:52:13 PM

It will suck unless they get H.R. Giger to design it.

Jungle Hunter

For some reason im more intrestid(Bad spelling i no but meh i cant see straight at the moment)in aliens cause of how you guys described them

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed