Alien Resurrection - Special Edition

Started by gameoverman, Apr 11, 2007, 09:19:05 AM

Author
Alien Resurrection - Special Edition (Read 2,338 times)

gameoverman

I actually liked the SE better than the original cut.  It expands on the characters more and gives us a more interesting ending.  I also like the beginning of the movie better in the SE.

I'm curious to know what other people think.

Newsfop

Every single one had a title sequence in space except for A:Res, and that bothered me like nails on a chalk board. I absolutely love that the new titles are now in a pull-away shot of the Auriga. I like the ending better also simply because I enjoy seeing spaceships in motion. Plus it was very brave for a Frenchman to dessimate his own capitol city like that.

SM

SM

The SE start was dumb and had awful CGI.  The pull back from the Auriga was nice, but the stuff with the guy in the gun pod was just too dopey.  The theatrical start was infinitely better.

Most extended scene were take it or leave it.  They didn't really add or detract any.

However it's something of a travesty that the chapel scene was cut down for the theatrical cut.  Brilliant scene and Weaver's best in the entire film.

The ending was again, take it or leave it.  The SE ending was visually more interesting, but the theatrical ending suited the central plot and Call's entire point in the film - that Earth was a beautiful place that was worth saving.

Newsfop

I think I was immune to the dopey guy in the new beginning because I had seen a Jeunet film before where the actors made quirky odd movements. As a matter of fact, if you watch La cité des enfants perdus you'll notice a lot of elements that Jeunet borrowed for A:Res such as the cloning vessels, the gunky technology used on Vriess's chair, a demented scientist in green surgical garb, and a girl plummeting into the water. Let's not forget the two actors Dominique Pinon and Ron Perlman.

I will agree though that the animation used on the extreme close-up of the bug was dodgy at best considering the digital fleas were rendered much better, and those were done back in 1995.

SM

SM

And the CG Aliens were better than the bug too.

Delicatessen and City of Lost Children are both brilliant films and got me very excited when I heard JPJ was doing Resurrection.  However, I just think the SE start - which was almost in the film as it featured in the novelisation - set the wrong tone for the rest of the film.  The theatrical one suited much better.  If it was an original JPJ flick - no problem.  But not an Alien flick.  You can throw in the odd goofy laugh here and there - but not in the first minute.

gameoverman

Quote from: SM on Apr 12, 2007, 05:45:49 AM
And the CG Aliens were better than the bug too.

Delicatessen and City of Lost Children are both brilliant films and got me very excited when I heard JPJ was doing Resurrection.  However, I just think the SE start - which was almost in the film as it featured in the novelisation - set the wrong tone for the rest of the film.  The theatrical one suited much better.  If it was an original JPJ flick - no problem.  But not an Alien flick.  You can throw in the odd goofy laugh here and there - but not in the first minute.

Actually, considering that the film was a dark, surrealistic comedy almost - I think the SE beginning set the tone perfectly. 

SM

SM

The operative word being "almost".

xeno_alpha_07

Wasn't really that botherd or excited about the Alien Rez SE really.  Watched it and thought "and?"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed