Budget

Started by David, Sep 06, 2022, 09:11:59 AM

Author
Budget (Read 2,439 times)

David

David

I found on google that the budget was 65 M. Is that confirmed?

Kradan

Kradan

I'm no expert but sounds about right to me

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Sounds believable.

Stitch

Stitch

If I was asked to guess I'd have said $60M, so that sounds about right to me.

Highland

Highland

Higher than I thought TBH, no actors of significant note, no sets, newish Director, hardly any marketing...... I'd have thought $40 million tops considering The Predator was $88 Million.

Billiken

Billiken

Quote from: Highland on Sep 07, 2022, 12:22:09 AMHigher than I thought TBH, no actors of significant note, no sets, newish Director, hardly any marketing...... I'd have thought $40 million tops considering The Predator was $88 Million.

Yeah I'm the same. Considering AVP 2 was $40 and that was in a town

SiL

SiL

Location shooting (transport, accommodation), COVID compliance restrictions, some pretty hefty camera rigging. Lots of special effects.

Highland

Highland

Annihilation's budget was about 50 million with notable actors, better sets, more effects and a proven Director.

Straight to streaming there's no way they went past 40 mill IMO ( I think even less probably). They shot for like 8 weeks in Calgary.

Maybe Dan will answer this in the pod.

Kradan

Kradan

Inflation ?

Highland

Highland

Maybe, I doubt that much though. Looking at ghostbusters after life, that was $75 million.

Obi-wan was 90 million with fairly notable actors and a shit ton of CGI, plus it was 4 times as long.... (and a ridiculous amount of advertising)

If it was $65 million for one suit and some touch ups, somebody got ripped  :laugh: I don't care either way, I'll take 5 more low budget Predator movies if they come out like this one.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Highland on Sep 08, 2022, 06:36:58 AMStraight to streaming

Irrelevant aside from advertising, but Annihilation got f**ked on that front too.

SiL

SiL

While it's absolutely possible it didn't cost 65, it very well could've and people's comparisons really aren't as remarkable as they seem to think.

There are a lot of factors that go into budget; saying "but this other production cost more" is just ... irrelevant, especially with productions shooting at the height of COVID compliance issues.

(Also it wasn't one suit. There were at least two people in the suit, and you have spares in case of damage. Each suit can cost upwards of 100,000.)

Highland

Highland

I don't think it's irrelevant given the quality and effects usage of those productions, the IP, who directed, who starred in it etc.

To put it short, if someone said we are going to make a Predator film with around 8-10 unknown actors (mostly first/second giggers?) with no sets, in a forest for 6-8 weeks and you told me that movie was gona cost $65 million bucks to produce....I dunno. I don't see where that type of cash has went on this particular movie. Even the effects look somewhat budget(ish).

Mando costs around 15 million an episode

..but I suppose we might never know, since the money it makes is also hard to quantify.

SiL

SiL

You don't see where that money goes because you don't budget movies.

8 weeks of production on a union movie on location is expensive. COVID compliance adds to that. There are dozens of people on set for eight weeks and they all get paid well. And then add loading for night shoots.

It's entirely irrelevant what another movie or show cost. Some movies cost peanuts and look like a hundred million dollars, others cost a hundred million dollars and look like peanuts.

There are so many factors that it's impossible to just look at one movie's budget and try to guess another's.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I think it was 6 suits btw. Dane mentions it in the podcast (which am editing).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed