NickisSmart

NickisSmart

My Review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCMEAfwcTKw

Tips - 21m15s

Accounts - 44m35s

Bias in Gaming Exam - 1h8m47s

Final Impressions/Score 1h27m48s

Skip to the end if you get bored like SM does/have a short attention span.

gabgrave

gabgrave

Just completed marathoning the game in 18 hours, clearing it from chapter 5 to the end.
Spoiler
The pacing was awesome for me from that chapter, with the Alien keeping you on your toes, and that breath of air once its done. The rubber Joes were fun to encounter too, with me trying to zap it only to find out they are invulnerable to shocks and I went back to hiding from them. Then came the Hive... And the end was kinda an adrenaline trip with the music and multiple aliens hunting your ass. It reminded me of the end of Aliens, with you flaming your way clear and running to escape.
The tension from the first part of the game to trap and space the alien really reminded me of Alien 3, up to the end where you act as the lure to go into the detachable module, and you get asked if its still following you.

The tension was very well played throughout the game, and I felt that it was just perfect, like the old games (System Shock 2), where though the games are long you do feel the immersion of the world. And the logs lets you feel that events are happening around you as you go through the game outside of your perception, and that you are not really isolated...

The Sinclair logs showed how the other group of survivors beside the Marshals faired, and how they managed to survived longer, until they were swarmed by the multiple aliens escaping from the destroyed hive, with their children taken to serve as new hosts. They also seemed to be the only group that were taking care of the surviving children...until the end. You never speak or encounter the main group until you find their remains, but it still sits with you that they couldn't be saved. Finding the ruined sanctuary really gave that Hadley's Hope feel from Aliens.

At the end, everyone on Sevastopol station dies except for Ripley, and that really ties in with the idea of the first film that the Alien is one deadly species like Marlow says.
I find it really funny how there's so many Aliens floating around in space by the end though, seeing as how all of them that didn't get roasted ended up being spaced.

I did feel that the ending part was a bit lacking, since it felt like the missing cutscenes where you enter and leave the docks in the ambulance shutter and when you enter the airlock and then get blown out into space at the end cuts part of the immersion of the game. It made the transition rather uneven, since you just seem to teleport into locations.

I really do think this is the best Alien game I've play so far, and while A:CM set a really low bar for the series, this game set a really high hurdle that future games will have to meet. I'm going to enjoy replaying A:I again every year just to remember the atmosphere, during Halloween.

edit:
Just to list some plot points I found really odd/stupid however...
The ending, firstly there's only Ripley, who is EVA trained, so why can't she just jump/float over or use a winch or something like they attempted to in the first place, instead of attaching a really stable docking arm meant to pull the whole station onto the ship? Were they trying to prevent the station from falling? For what reason?
Then there's the whole get caught by an alien so she spent maybe 15 to 30 mins unconscious, while cocooned in a nest? While the who station and the ship is falling into the gas giant? Firstly, if my ship lost contact with the single person I was attempting to save, and I'me about to get dragged into death because of a really stupid idea to get connected to the station, and I have crew who are EVA trained, I would send them to disconnect the damn thing so I can get the hell away.
Secondly, how did the aliens manage to grow so many eggs outside of the hive in so short a time? It's like at most half an hour to an hour between the time Ripley blew the hive till she contacted the Torrens, and in that segment there's like eggs and hiving all over parts of the level, so that's a really glaring plot point.
And lastly, the party crashers, the Company men, they came in on a ship didn't they? And the Torrens didn't spot or make contact with them or vice versa? Did they just appeared out of no where? I was half expecting the Torrens to get blown up, and Ripley ending up having to hijack the ship.
Since most of the previous parts of the game were pretty well written, I can only imagine that the ending was changed from what Dan wrote to include certain elements that the developers wanted to include as an alien game. While I appreciate having those scenes to play through, they really don't fit in the plot that well and seemed pretty rushed.
[close]

Hudson

Hudson

So on PS3 I encountered some serious framerate issues. I hadn't actually done this before, but I finally threw down an EMP and beat the shit out of an android for the first time. WOW. Major, major slowdown for the beatdown.

Darkness

Darkness

Also happens with the Molotovs. Anything that involves fire, really.

Hudson

Hudson

I've also noticed that watching the Alien from a distance, especially when it's attacking other people, looks absolutely HORRIBLE. It's really choppy, clearly not designed for the previous generation.

Seegson

Seegson

Quote from: Hudson on Oct 20, 2014, 10:37:02 PM
I've also noticed that watching the Alien from a distance, especially when it's attacking other people, looks absolutely HORRIBLE. It's really choppy, clearly not designed for the previous generation.

Its choppy in the actual gen too...the transitiins between animations MUST be reworked

gabgrave

gabgrave

There's lag in the PS4 and Xbox1 versions too? PC seems to be rather smooth transition wise.

USG Ishimura

USG Ishimura

Played it on hard, completed it, absolutely loved it. The attention to detail is just phenomenal.
Even the Reactor Towers mid game you have to disable look like the large fusion reactor towers on the Nostromo that the Engine Room looks out onto as Ripley preps the ship for detonation during the movie. They've captured the different looks of the three Nostromo decks and developed it further; the android 'Working Joes' and Seegson were a really good integration into the overall Alien universe, music and sound were superb, and it all in all was a joy to play.

This game is no doubt a learning experience for CA as it seems quite different to what they've done before; I would really like them to have the chance to take what they have done and learned with this and do another.

Playing as a colonist on LV426 when the poo hits the fan would be excellent and lend itself to the 'sneaking around' approach. Whether it could be playing as Newt or not, I don't know. It seems like when Silent Hill first came out years ago on the PS, the public were up in arms because it featured 'monster children' in the school you explored and Konami had to change it for the final game from what we saw in the demo. Nearly 20 years later, maybe people wouldn't mind so much to see Newt get killed by an Alien.

We'll see what happens, hopefully this won't be the last whatever storyline they choose.

Seegson

Seegson

A colonist trying yo survive in lv426 before the "Aliens 1986" events its adream come true. I really hope CA use that idea. Newts mum for example, a WY employee who was send there before to investigate...or whatever...its the perfect eviroment.

esz

esz

Quote from: DemonicD13 on Oct 23, 2014, 04:16:19 AM
http://redlettermedia.com/pre-rec-alien-isolation/

I don't like to imply that someone "didn't get" something... but they didn't get it. AT ALL. It's a slow-paced horror game, it's exactly what it's supposed to be. It's more like they don't like the genre and that's why they hated the game, not because it's flawed. They'd as well complain that their refrigerator doesn't heat their meals.

As for my review: the best game I've ever played. Not thanks to game mechanics, which are pretty simple, but the overall quality and immersion. I've never been so invested into the game world. It feels real, alive. It's amazing, really, how they managed to make a believable environment.

One part I didn't like that much (besides the ending) was Anesidora. It was too empty, too clean, while in the artbook it looks much more lived in. I guess it was rushed. Not mentioning the lack of any visuals during the Anesidora - Sevastopol flight. No problem with that, though - it's a small part of the overall amazing game.

And by the way: I'd love a free roam / no enemies mode where I could just explore the Sevastopol.

Seegson

Seegson

Agree with the Anesidora stuff, it was a let down when i get there...it should be an awesome mission

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Hudson

Hudson

Played a good chunk of it today:

Spoiler
I'm gonna have to give IGN a little credit here. The sequence after you shoot the Alien into space drags like a motherf**ker. Having to deal with the androids can actually be really annoying, and the parts where they were bringing in the guys with the suits that the EMP grenades don't work on was a pain in the ass. It was a real "meh" portion of the game for me.

The hive though...that's some effective shit. I've died a million times and I'm not even out yet. The game is at its most effective when it doesn't let you set the pace.
[close]

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

On the flip side, I'd argue that
Spoiler
the whole section with the androids is a welcome respite from the Alien. It's the only section of the game where you can break out your weapons (except for the weaponless section of course). Hitting an android in the head with that bolt gun is very satisfying. And of course that whole Alien-less section makes the Hive reveal all the more effective.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed