Peter Weyland video ! ^^

Started by Snowdog, Feb 28, 2012, 07:16:01 PM

Author
Peter Weyland video ! ^^ (Read 150,421 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Wait weren't you the person who said in another thread that authorial intent/statements trump audience interpretations in all situations? Why doesn't that apply now?

And yes, FOX *does* have the final say on what is actually honest-to-god canon, but that shouldn't stop fans from deciding for themselves what they personally accept as canon.

SM

SM

At least as long as Fox doesn't care to enforce any sort of canon.  Which is precisely what they've been doing since 1988.

newbeing

newbeing

I highly doubt canon is the first thing on a Fox executive's mind when they produce their films. It's more along the lines of "MONEY,MONEY,MONEY,MONEY."  They've also allowed the canon and continuity to get f**ked up so many times that their statements on canon are meaningless to me at this point. People can make up whatever they want really, but it seems pretty apparent that Ridley Scott doesn't view either AvP film as fitting into the canon.

ikarop

ikarop

QuoteThe Weyland talk is NOT in the movie. Made just for TED. And y'all, of course. #MoreToCome

https://twitter.com/#!/DamonLindelof/status/174603246470565888

Never say no to Panda!

Well i guess that was pretty clear since the whole thing looks good for viral stuff but lacks (good) movie quality.
Some shots remind me of a Command and Conquer cutscene  :laugh:

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Feb 28, 2012, 10:18:59 PM
At least as long as Fox doesn't care to enforce any sort of canon. 
They do, it's just not as strict as with other franchises like Star Wars or whatever. They have a licensing department with a "continuity bible" and licensees have to run stuff past them before it gets published.

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: ikarop on Feb 28, 2012, 10:21:43 PM
QuoteThe Weyland talk is NOT in the movie. Made just for TED. And y'all, of course. #MoreToCome

https://twitter.com/#!/DamonLindelof/status/174603246470565888

Well there you go! :)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 28, 2012, 10:26:35 PM
They do, it's just not as strict as with other franchises like Star Wars or whatever. They have a licensing department with a "continuity bible" and licensees have to run stuff past them before it gets published.
Up until they let licensees ignore everything that's come before and to do what they please.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 28, 2012, 10:14:29 PM
Wait weren't you the person who said in another thread that authorial intent/statements trump audience interpretations in all situations? Why doesn't that apply now?

And yes, FOX *does* have the final say on what is actually honest-to-god canon, but that shouldn't stop fans from deciding for themselves what they personally accept as canon.

I stated an obvious fact that a creator that creates and owns something decides what it is, not you with your opinions.  That doesn't really have anything to do with canon.  A creator establishes canon, then the studio has the burden of enforcing it and keeping it consistent as it grows and expands.  Fox definitely did not.

Plus, I said that because you were directly contradicting something that had been established since the first Alien film and saying it was valid simply because you had the opinion in the first place.

Swing and a miss.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I wasn't directly contradicting anything, we kind of went over it in that thread.

You were claiming that authorial intent trumps audience interpretation as if that's a universal truth and it's at best one way to look at art, but it's not the ONLY way.

Which really isn't terribly different from what you're doing here, saying that FOX has said something about "canon" and you're choosing to interpret it another way. By your reasoning, you shouldn't be able to do that no matter how many mental gymnastics you go through to justify it.

QuoteA creator establishes canon, then the studio has the burden of enforcing it and keeping it consistent as it grows and expands.  Fox definitely did not.
You're welcome to that opinion, I happen to disagree.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 28, 2012, 08:58:23 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 28, 2012, 08:46:48 PM
I was also referring to the fact that Peter Weyland also has Charles Bishop Weyland's likeness as well which can't be coincidental.
I have never in my life heard someone say Pearce is Henriksen's double. Is this another mad scramble for a strawman argument again?

Quote from: EarthAngel on Feb 28, 2012, 09:38:31 PM
Guy Pearce doesn't look anything like Lance Henriksen. Like at all.

You guys misunderstand me.  I never said that they were look alikes, I just said that they looked and sounded similar enough for their characters to be related.

Quote from: RidgeTop on Feb 28, 2012, 09:53:30 PM
With many here celebrating that this "wipes away" the canon of the AVP films, let me share my thoughts. No official canon is truly gone until the franchise owners say so (FOX). As is evident with the Star Trek reboot, creating a canon contradiction does not eliminate canon, it creates an alternate canon. For example: there are multiple, contradicting plot lines in the Terminator franchise. And even though the new Batman films are extremely popular, they do not destroy the canon of the older films, they simply create alternate canon. The point could be made that since the filmmakers have stated that Prometheus should not be regarded as an Alien film, that it's doing its own thing, that AVP would be part of the "traditional" canon, a true Alien film, whereas Prometheus would essentially be a reboot or spiritual successor to Alien. This would create an alternate "Prometheus" canon in which the other films are only taken into account in the lightest sense. On the other hand, you could argue that AVP started its own new alternate canon that was never meant to be considered part of the Alien franchise, and that Prometheus is the true Alien film.

Considering the expansive franchise that Alien is, there is so much material with the primary films and EU, I think it's fair to say that canon will be slightly different depending on what stories of the franchise a fan prefers. Many Alien fans don't like to consider Aliens canon even though officially speaking it is. The same is true for the AVP films, even if Prometheus has such a contradiction with the AVP films to make them completely incompatible, that does not destroy the canon of the AVP films, the contradiction simply creates an alternate canon. AVP is still official canon, just a different canon. You can never please all of the fans, and many here, even if they are not outspoken about it, are fans of the AVP films. Debate on which films are better or more relevant to the franchise is to be expected, but I'd like to suggest not alienating (pun intended) fans of the AVP films. This is an AVP site after all.

Well said, RidgeTop. *clap clap*  Well said.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

The Fox/canon argument is a huge and muddled topic.  You were saying that a facehugger was an independent organism comparable to a spider when the majority of the answers you received disagreed, including mine, as well as the evidence and examples that were used.

Fox said nothing about canon, and the canon was blatantly contradicted numerous times in the AvP films.  The facehugger doesn't need Fox to declare what it is, because you can freaking see it with your own eyes and pretty much discern its entire purpose within seconds of doing this.  It isn't at the whim of Fox CEOs, but your own simple powers of observation, which I find yours to be disturbingly flawed.

I'm not getting into it with you in this thread.

Back to the video.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 28, 2012, 10:43:42 PM
The Fox/canon argument is a huge and muddled topic.  You were saying that a facehugger was an independent organism comparable to a spider when the majority of the answers you received disagreed, including mine, as well as the evidence and examples that were used.

When did this happen? ???

SM

SM

QuoteYou're welcome to that opinion, I happen to disagree.

What's to disagree with?  If Fox did in fact enforce a single canon and continuity, then people you like and predxeno wouldn't be constantly trying to tell everyone that 'Yes it can all fit together' and everyone else wouldn't be saying 'No, it can't'.  If it all fit there would be no debate.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Check out the monitors in the background--they misspell Weyland's name, same as those leaked storyboards did.  ;D And apparently Twitter is still going strong in the future. Ugh.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed