What Are My Chances? Alien: Director's Cut vs. Theatrical Cut – AvP Galaxy Podcast #177

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 29, 2024, 06:57:32 PM

Author
What Are My Chances? Alien: Director's Cut vs. Theatrical Cut – AvP Galaxy Podcast #177 (Read 4,463 times)

SM

Theatrical better by a fair margin.

Too many cuts makes the second half of the film go way too fast and Riddles was right the first time to cut the cocoon scene.

Ben Burrt's OG signal was better too.

426Buddy

Great podcast!

Always partial to the Theatrical of all the films myself. This one especially.

(Bad Blood)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: maggieloveshopey on Jan 30, 2024, 10:32:49 PMGreat pod, as usual. Appreciate it may be a bit sensitive, but does anyone have any pointers on how to see the Virtual Assembly cut that gets mentioned? I found a couple of threads here but nothing less than five years old!

I'm checking with the fella. I'm not sure if he still has it available online these days.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 31, 2024, 09:29:58 AM
Quote from: maggieloveshopey on Jan 30, 2024, 10:32:49 PMGreat pod, as usual. Appreciate it may be a bit sensitive, but does anyone have any pointers on how to see the Virtual Assembly cut that gets mentioned? I found a couple of threads here but nothing less than five years old!

I'm checking with the fella. I'm not sure if he still has it available online these days.

Could you post the DVD cover, please? I like the design - it reminds me of the 1979 Official Movie Magazine.

TC

TC

PARKER: "We found this just laying there. No blood. No Dallas."

So what happened to Dallas? Apparently he wasn't killed or eaten; so what did the Alien do to him? The missing cocoon sequence answers this mystery.

More than that, it answers the much larger question of what the Alien's motives are. Up until this scene, it's been nothing more than a nasty monster with a penchant for killing people. Once we see the Brett and Dallas eggs, we get an a-ha moment as we recognise the eggs as identical to the ones from the derelict. Now we understand that the motives of the Alien are one of completing its life cycle.

We also infer that each one of those derelict eggs was originally another victim of the Alien, attacked and parasitised many years ago, perhaps even thousands or even millions of years ago. Once we understand that, we realise that if the Brett and Dallas eggs are left to their own devices they will, in turn, spawn a new source of Alien infestation and the cycle will continue.

Ripley also realises this. That's why she decides to blow up the ship instead of heading directly to the shuttle. She wants to terminate the cycle instead of leaving the eggs to perpetuate the Alien species upon discovery by a hapless space-farer some time in the future. (In the original version of the script she doesn't set the self-destruct until after learning of the egg-morphing.)

In terms of the writing, the cocoon sequence adds a nice structure to the story. The Brett and Dallas eggs create a circularity to the plot in which we end up back at the beginning. We thought we were just watching a sequence of kills, 10 Little Indians-style, but now we understand that the movie has been carefully laying out the life-cycle of the Alien through all its component stages. I find that very satisfying and it's why I think the DC is the superior version.

TC

xShadowFoxX

We need more eggmorphing. Maybe not in the films because that would confuse the sh*t outta people, but like in a true survival horror game. I'd play it.

SiL

Quote from: TC on Jan 31, 2024, 11:14:14 AMRipley also realises this. That's why she decides to blow up the ship instead of heading directly to the shuttle. She wants to terminate the cycle instead of leaving the eggs to perpetuate the Alien species upon discovery by a hapless space-farer some time in the future. (In the original version of the script she doesn't set the self-destruct until after learning of the egg-morphing.)
The plan was always to blow up the ship, though. They didn't just want to escape -- they wanted to kill the Alien. Finding the hive had no impact on Ripley's decision to start the scuttle procedure in the script.

TC

Quote from: SiL on Jan 31, 2024, 12:03:52 PM
Quote from: TC on Jan 31, 2024, 11:14:14 AMRipley also realises this. That's why she decides to blow up the ship instead of heading directly to the shuttle. She wants to terminate the cycle instead of leaving the eggs to perpetuate the Alien species upon discovery by a hapless space-farer some time in the future. (In the original version of the script she doesn't set the self-destruct until after learning of the egg-morphing.)
The plan was always to blow up the ship, though. They didn't just want to escape -- they wanted to kill the Alien. Finding the hive had no impact on Ripley's decision to start the scuttle procedure in the script.

Actually, you're right. I have to take that part back. I was thinking that at that stage things were so dire the expedient thing to do was to get the f**k outta there but she obviously placed a high measure of importance on the scuttle, and at great risk to herself.

TC

battyfan

I Feel mixed about the egg morphing scene. On one hand it's incredibly grim and creepy. Then on the other hand the life cycle established in Aliens seems to be a faster and more effective way to invaded an environment and destroy other species.

Knowing how the filmmakers used insects as inspiration for how the alien gestates inside a host before hatching, doe's anyone know whether it's possible for a species to reproduce with multiple life cycles?

I've recently been wondering how the egg morphing would work. I obviously not a scientist, but could the cocoon break down Dallas and Brett on a cellular level and then using their matter create the new eggs? I heard that James Cameron thought it was a dumb idea.

Wasn't the alien also dying towards the end of the film and that's why it was hiding amongst the machinery in the narcissus?

Anyway I still prefer the Original film. Like others have said the editing in the director's Cut feels messy. Although I did enjoy the cleaned up deleted egg scene. The original deleted scene felt a little rough. I didn't like the new alien transmission sounds, still prefer the deleted scene's original sound. The first time I watched the DC on DVD the scene where the alien hits the cat box made me jump out of my skin! 🤣

TheBATMAN

I wish they could release the Alien extended edition they originally did for the quadrilogy before Ridley got involved. Lazurika said it was pretty much ready to go before Scott blocked it.

Elmazalman

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Jan 31, 2024, 07:19:01 PMI wish they could release the Alien extended edition they originally did for the quadrilogy before Ridley got involved. Lazurika said it was pretty much ready to go before Scott blocked it.

Agreed.

Apparently everything thrown in - including unreleased material. Would love to see it for the 50th anniversary.

GreybackElder

GreybackElder

That was awesome. I loved this one so much I've listened to it twice.

To be honest I'm not really sure which version of the film I like more. Like most of you there are aspects of both releases that I enjoy. I like the inclusion of the lambert's slap into scene. It really adds to the emotion and tension of the moment.

I also prefer the shorter cut of Brett's death. I feel in this case " less is more." You don't even really see the whole design of Alien until later in the film which adds to the horror of the creature design in my opinion.

Boy oh boy I've got to agree with Xenomorphine with yaphett Kottos delivery of his description of the Alien size.  He sells the f**k out of it. You absolutely believe Parker saw something huge.

As a side note: I really appreciated the inclusion of the distress signal audio(before and after director's cut.) in podcast. I could get used to that feature.

Great job guys!

Almost forgot the biggest inclusion. The egg morphing. It's cool and I appreciate it as a potential life cycle(nerd-splaining)  but I prefer the film with out it.

Crew Expendable

I liked the part about watching the audience more than the movie when seeing it in a theater. I recently went to a screening of Alien and when the creature descended on Brett I heard the guy behind me say "Jesus that's a big f**ker". It was so fun listening to this guy watch the movie for the first time comment about the film and now I can't see the Brett death scene without thinking "that's a big f**ker".

Wweyland

I would have liked if Ridley just went with the "lets insert the deleted scenes" approach that he originally intended. Just a longer cut for the fans, like the Aliens and Alien: Resurrection one.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed