Flamethrowers?

Started by Winkie Bear, Jun 02, 2012, 09:32:04 AM

Author
Flamethrowers? (Read 1,673 times)

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Not sure if this has been discussed before, so apologies if this is old hat.

Why are there flamethrowers in this movie...?

I can understand the hand weapons, but why after the storm are there people going around with flamethrowers? Are they using them to sterilize the cargo bay, in which case are they are of some biological contamination then, and really don't they have something better than a flamethrower to use?
And if you're going to knock off an infected crew member, why not just shoot them and bury the body rather than set fire to it and have smoke and ash (which might also be contaminated) blow into your cargo bay?

Or, is is just a nod to the flamethrowers in the Alien movies?

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

i would say its  nod, and also makes for more over the top death scenes than a plain old bullet to the noggin!.

thanks

rich

spychi

spychi

Winkie Bear

NGR01

NGR01

The Engineer fighting Shaw at the end was badly burned in one of the tv spot.
My take is that Shaw do more than just open the door so the squid can catch the Engineer.
There is a fight before that, maybe a game of cat and mouse.
In one tv spot she's being thrown by the Engineer into Vickers quarters.
I think at some points she burns him with a flamethrower.

But basically yes the flamethrowers are there because it's ALIEN lol.

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Quote from: NGR01 on Jun 02, 2012, 09:53:44 AM

That's what I thought, but that's why it makes no sense. The Nostromo crew used flame units because they had no weapons and Ash suggested that most animals retreated from fire.
But the Prometheus crew have weapons, and fully expect to encounter sentient (and friendly) beings.

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: ucdom on Jun 02, 2012, 09:58:26 AM
Quote from: NGR01 on Jun 02, 2012, 09:53:44 AM

That's what I thought, but that's why it makes no sense. The Nostromo crew used flame units because they had no weapons and Ash suggested that most animals retreated from fire.
But the Prometheus crew have weapons, and fully expect to encounter sentient (and friendly) beings.
they did have weapons in alien as dallas says "we will have to break out the weapons" just before they go out to the derelict. they just didnt use or show them. lol

the only explanation i can think of is that they were normal guns and they couldnt use them for fear of putting a hole in the hull of the ship as there was no atmosphere on lv426 and also the alien only became large and a threat once they were back in flight.

thanks

rich

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Jun 02, 2012, 10:10:09 AM
they did have weapons in alien as dallas says "we will have to break out the weapons" just before they go out to the derelict. they just didnt use or show them. lol

the only explanation i can think of is that they were normal guns and they couldnt use them for fear of putting a hole in the hull of the ship as there was no atmosphere on lv426 and also the alien only became large and a threat once they were back in flight.

Well spotted, I didn't remember that. I guess now they didn't use weapons for fear of acid eating through the hull.

Anyway, none of this explains the flamethrowers in Prometheus  ???

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed