Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 278,149 times)

Deadmeat

Deadmeat

Not a review but more of a question - did anyone notice the very apparent similarities with The Lost World: Jurassic Park in the transition between act 1 & 2? :laugh:

Randomizer

Randomizer

Quote from: dry_heat on May 14, 2017, 05:02:56 PM
Quote from: szkoki on May 14, 2017, 04:41:39 PM
the topic title should have spoilers in it

Which part of "Alien Covenant Fan Reviews" told you otherwise?
We should still use spoiler tags. It's a double-edged sword, you see. There are people who want to decide on seeing the movie and then there are those who just want to hear others' opinions.

Anyways, I went with low expectations and was gladly surprised. I didn't hate Prometheus but just wasn't my type of thing (maybe it was due to many half-cooked ideas). Certainly better than it, that's for sure, however it could've benefited from expanding on the Engineers a bit even if they chose to move on from that. We never hear much aside from how big their suits are.

The introduction was beautiful and for a good portion it played like a horror movie with a few jumpscares there and there that could've been in fewer numbers. Facehuggers for example are meant to hide and pounce on their prey so you'd be a fool not expecting to be startled. The final portion was an action movie that wasn't as good as I expected...

Spoiler
...and a bit of a non-original ripoff of Aliens. As if the pinnacle of the franchise - humans find Engineer ship, humans get killed - wasn't done to death.
[close]

I didn't see many flaws when it comes to CGI aside from the skinny Xenomorph which might as well be an artistic choice. The environments were a personal good change from the deserted setting of Prometheus.

Overall a much more solid movie than Prometheus and what I hope is a change for the better. Ridley Scott has gotten closer to recreating what makes Alien great. Can't decide whether or not it's better than Alien 3 though.  :(

7.7/10

Favorite order is, yada yada:

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3 (?)
Alien: Covenant (?)
AVP
Alien: Resurrection
Prometheus
AVP-R

dry_heat

dry_heat

Quote from: Randomizer on May 14, 2017, 06:47:08 PM

We should still use spoiler tags. It's a double-edged sword, you see. There are people who want to decide on seeing the movie and then there are those who just want to hear others' opinions.

No we shouldn't. The topic title is "Alien Covenant Fan Reviews"...can you not compute that in your shell-like?

What is it in today's world where it seems that anyone under 40 has to be treated with kid gloves and given a "safe space"? The damn topic title is enough and who on Christ's earth gives a shit about a review? Just who the f**k decides not to see a film based on what some twat says on the Internet?

Jeez...grow a pair. It's no wonder the West is in such decline. Lord, give me strength!!!

newagescamartist

We should still use spoiler tags.

Huh?

stephen

stephen

So my short review.

Spoiler
Spoilers beware.

Disappointed.  But to be honest, after Prometheus I wasn't expecting a great deal. I think Covenant is better but in my mind that's not saying much.

The film lacks logic and consistency.  Things that should of happened didn't and things that did happen shouldn't of.  The film is a bit of a mess to be honest.  And confusing.  No attention was made to keep the audience aware of where characters were during the 2nd act.  At one point it feels like they're in the room next door shooting guns but no one hears it so they must be a fair way away.  I feel that on repeated viewings the movie will be rife with plot holes simply in regards to where people are and timings let alone anything of more substance.

Just confusing.

And frustrating.  The questions and set up from Prometheus feel unanswered. The big one being why the hell the engineers would want to destroy us.
Also what is this planet - the engineer's homeworld or something else?

The movie suffers from being the sequel to Prometheus.  The criticism levelled at Prometheus was obviously taken into account by the filmmakers and it feels like they simply wrote out what they perceived the problems with Prometheus to be.  Whlie I'm not a fan of Prometheus and the story I still feel there needs to be a connection with the sequel.  It's a hard line to toe for the film makers.  They had to make a sequel to Prometheus that was criticised yet try and not make the same mistakes.  Storywise that must of been difficult.  I think they took it a bit too far in distancing from Prometheus with very little explanation.

The interaction between David and Walter was interesting but come on Ridley way to telegraph the ending switch.  Having David cut his hair was like a blaring siren.  It would have been less telegraphed if David simply didn't have long hair in the beginning.

Now onto the Alien.  Although I could see it coming and didn't like it (David being the creator that is), I did get a bit of a chill down the spine when we saw the eggs.  I'm not a fan of David being the creator.  As others have said, the incubation times are way out of whack.  And that chestburster scene with David and the burster completely and utterly destroyed the mythos.  I was genuinely waiting for the chestburster to attack David which would have had some symbolism to it.  Instead we got jazz hands.  WTF.

It was kinda cool seeing the Alien on the big screen again but feel let down by it's portrayal. It does feel like lip service. Some scenes were good, some not so good.  The Alien vision was jarring and took me a bit to realize what it was.  Not needed.

Overall, frustrating, disappointing but better then Prometheus.
[close]

frenchfries

frenchfries

Quote from: dry_heat on May 14, 2017, 08:07:28 PM

No we shouldn't. The topic title is "Alien Covenant Fan Reviews"...can you not compute that in your shell-like?

What is it in today's world where it seems that anyone under 40 has to be treated with kid gloves and given a "safe space"? The damn topic title is enough and who on Christ's earth gives a shit about a review? Just who the f**k decides not to see a film based on what some twat says on the Internet?

Jeez...grow a pair. It's no wonder the West is in such decline. Lord, give me strength!!!
lol damn dude, that bothered you that much? Sounds like you need one of those safe spaces

Randomizer

Randomizer

Quote from: dry_heat on May 14, 2017, 08:07:28 PM

Why so mad? Not a twat but multiple. Do I have to stick only to what the critics say? For all I know they could be paid. They might not know what made the series great.

Nobody is forbidding us from spoiling the movie here, just don't make it inevitable. Not all want to hear it.

And I'm not from the West ('murica & Western Europe) if that's what you mean.

Quote from: newagescamartist on May 14, 2017, 09:12:23 PM

We should still use spoiler tags.

Huh?

Detail or I will ignore your comment.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Stolen on May 12, 2017, 04:16:10 PM
Hummm , i think, I didn't see that passage in the film?

Spoiler
[close]

>:(

It was for the She Wont Go Quietly viral. Though that particular shot wasn't used in it.

Quote from: Snake on May 13, 2017, 10:55:25 AM
Second, the hell...the Aliens looked MENACING AND DISTURBING. Tall, upright, more humanoid than ever. I was really proud of having elegance in these creatures once more.

That scene where
Spoiler
it walks into the terraforming bay looked incredible. Really dug that.
[close]

And let's take a step back here, gents. Some really unnecessary heated comments towards each other. Not everyone is going to agree but act with maturity and respect, please. If you're incapable, don't. Simple as that.

In regards to spoilers, it should be expected - this is a review thread.

Randomizer

Randomizer

Agreed. I've proven my point. I just don't think there's much of a reason for reviews if they all contain spoilers and viceversa.

The_Foxcatcher

The_Foxcatcher

>>>Spoiler Review<<<<<

Not as good as Prometheus.

Covenant seems to be like a small chapter specially about David and a bridge to the next, possibly big event. The movie was quite unidimensional with a simple plot. But Scott did manage to further expand the Alien universe and continue what he started with Prometheus.

The Neomorphs stole the show! They were vicious and terrific. From the trailers, they looked quite meek but man, they gave the chills & thrills. It was exquisitely designed creature, wish more time was given for them. The scene where David & the Neomorph try to communicate with each other is wonderful.

There aren't grand moments and concepts like those in Prometheus; but the movie does give bits of philosophical ideas & mind-set of a carried away Robot. Fassbender's dual role is worth watching but nothing extra ordinary because there wasn't such content which he could pull it off. Some unique moments of David & Walter exchanging ideas & playing flute is just what held the movie during its second and slow act.

All other characters including Daniels are quite cardboard cut outs because again there was nothing more written about them other then to scream, die, pass guns, hold guns, aim and shoot.

The sets & visuals are good but not as grand as Prometheus. The only grand scene was the Black goo bombing sequence. Whereas, the interior sets of the Engineer Citadel was quite disappointing as it were quite bland and not much of their world were shown other than a hall and few small rooms which David converted into his lab. If you expect the signature Off-wordly designs, you aren't going to get it.

With this movie, Scott ended the most anticipated & intriguing adventure of Dr. Elizabeth Shaw by having her killed. So, with no Shaw, the movie feels half empty.

The Xenomorph is superb and better than those in any other Alien sequels. But the ending was rushed and there was nothing unique in having the Xenomorph expelled into the space from the airlock. Alien & Aliens did it a lot better and nothing can beat its final act.

May be repeat viewings could help me catch more and change by mind but until now, purely for the Neomorphs, Fassbender & the Horror, I give it a 6.5/10.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

I went in excited and came out frustrated. Some scenes and ideas, didn't work for me while others did. The ending felt rushed and a big rehash.

Some characters were wasted, but I did enjoy the interplay between Walter and David. Wish we'd seen more of that and we had no clue to the size of the city, so a few bits were like WTF

Also the very end
Spoiler
I wouldn't have had Daniels find out it was David instead of Walter. I would have had him say yes to building the cabin. She goes to sleep and THEN he would have revealed himself to David, when speaking to the computer
[close]

The film felt like it either needed another draft or two or we should have seen one of the earlier Paglen drafts on screen. It feels like a HUGE chunk was missing and
Spoiler
I was angry and the way the fate of Shaw was brushed off
[close]

Also
Spoiler
The opening scene with David and Weyland felt like it was cut from Prometheus and should have been there. The Crossing short film should have been, the Last Supper scene
[close]

#F**kGiler #StopScott

robbritton

robbritton

I enjoyed it. It was certainly flawed, and Ridley Scott cannot seem to grasp that big ideas are best alluded to, rather than spelled out in hamfisted dialogue ("What do you believe in, David?" indeed!), but I cared for the main characters far more than I did the cast of Prometheus and I found the juxtaposition between the bonkers David and the very Bishop-esque Walter to be a really lovely story beat. The mending of the sail at the beginning felt like it could have come from Isolation, and was really great.

I'm not thumping my head, like I was Prometheus, but the original three are still untouched. The final shot is the most horrific thing the series has put forward since the idea of all the families dying around one another in the hive in Aliens, so that felt like a nice jumping off point to the next one.

I don't mind the xeno origin either. Why not, eh? It may just as well be that. Helps with the Queen/Egg morph conundum too - if it's unnatural, it can manifest in any old tinkered form, I guess.

Although, how they'll tie it into the original I'm a little baffled by. At least one engineer must be making a comeback.

But yeah, there were moments I felt reall happy to be in the cinema watching a new Alien movie, and moments I was a little bored. When business as usual has been resurrection and Requiem, I'll take that as a win!

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 15, 2017, 08:52:21 AM
Quote from: Stolen on May 12, 2017, 04:16:10 PM
Hummm , i think, I didn't see that passage in the film?

Spoiler
[close]

>:(

It was for the She Wont Go Quietly viral. Though that particular shot wasn't used in it.

Quote from: Snake on May 13, 2017, 10:55:25 AM
Second, the hell...the Aliens looked MENACING AND DISTURBING. Tall, upright, more humanoid than ever. I was really proud of having elegance in these creatures once more.

That scene where
Spoiler
it walks into the terraforming bay looked incredible. Really dug that.
[close]

And let's take a step back here, gents. Some really unnecessary heated comments towards each other. Not everyone is going to agree but act with maturity and respect, please. If you're incapable, don't. Simple as that.

In regards to spoilers, it should be expected - this is a review thread.

With all due respect Hicks, I disagree.  Just because it's a review thread doesn't mean spoilers should be expected.  A lot of people are genuinely curious to know what others feel about the film before they see it.  That's why on Youtube, there are Spoiler Reviews and Spoiler-Free reviews.  If this thread is only for people who have seen the movie, then it should be renamed "Alien Covenant Fan Discussion (Spoilers)" so as to let people know right from the getgo there are spoilers.  Since it is currently labeled as "Alien Covenant Fan Reviews", there is an expectation for people to read reviews from people who have seen the movie with spoiler tags in place just as they are in any other thread that isn't marked "Spoiler" in it's title.

So you and the mods need to decide:  Is this thread a fan review thread or is it a movie discussion thread?  If it's the former, then spoiler tags are appropriate and should not be discouraged by the moderating team.  If it's the latter, the thread title should clearly illustrate the spoiler-centric nature of the conversation within the thread.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Spoiler tag added to topic title.

szkoki

szkoki

Wow shit went down because of my suggestions it seems. :D

I would like to read reveiws without spoilers. Thats it if it bothers anyone just send me a pm and i wont read it. :D

Thanks Hicks btw.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed