Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 278,098 times)

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: Citadel on May 12, 2017, 07:51:11 PM
I reckon the pacing issues and the CG also contribute.

A question: who thinks Covenant's script did it better than Prometheus?

Both scripts had great premises. Prometheus expedition with the never before seen engineer (alive that is) could have been legendary. And Covenant could have worked way better if it didn't have aliens in it. Both scripts were very cluttered with unplausible turn of events, hammy dialogue and overall strange choices. It's pretty depressing to think about what these movies could have been. I blame the writers. They either were overthinking it or weren't thinking at all.

MightyViper

MightyViper

Long time lurker first time poster. Mainly wanted to post because I see a lot of fan reviews that say it's too much Prometheus or not enough Prometheus or that it spoils the Alien mythos, but what I really could have used before I went to see it was a review that specifically highlights how it works where Prometheus fails. So for you people who were desperate to know, as I was, here it is.

I enjoyed a number of things about Prometheus. David is a great character. A lot of it looks gorgeous. There are some interesting ideas. I didn't even mind that the xenos were absent, or that the scientists did stupid things. Alien is full of people doing stupid things.

No, my issue with Prometheus is that it's incredibly poorly structured, and the cast are almost uniformly terrible.

Things happen, but they have no real consequences. They don't follow through to a logical, imaginative end. Charlie is infected, but his infection never goes anywhere. He just looks mottled and then gets flamethrower-ed. Same with Fifield. He simply turns up, as if the writers realised they had to have a scary moment, kills a few people we've never seen before, then gets crushed. And an almost identical action structure happens at the end. The threat is announced (David says the engineer is coming), the threat arrives, the threat is removed in one simple stroke.

It's incredibly bad horror/action/thriller writing.

Covenant is just not on that same level. Nowhere close. It's like comparing a broken moped and a perfectly functioning Ferrari. You might not like the Ferrari. You might actually hate Ferraris! And that's totally cool and understandable. But still the fact remains that one is broken and the other isn't. Covenant isn't broken. Everything in it works, to lesser or greater degrees. Things progress logically. All of the potential of events actually pay off - some only satisfactorily, some spectacularly.

This film is 100% the work of a scriptwriter who knew what they were doing, and a director who mostly understood where he'd gone wrong with Prometheus.

And the same goes for the cast. It's absolutely true that we could use more of them. You don't get to know everyone very well. BUT...everyone is amazing compared to the Prometheus cast. They sell twice as much in half the time. Honestly, I felt more for Tennessee in one two second scene than I did for literally everyone in Prometheus. These characters are brought to life. They're not just going through the motions.

I think it says a lot that I did not give a single fig that
Spoiler
Shaw was killed off screen, but desperately do not want Daniels and Tennessee to be dead if there's a next one due to David's machinations.
[close]

Covenant isn't a perfect film by any means. I understand completely why some don't like it. But it is a very well done film, with characters you can enjoy and root for. And tbh, I loved it for that alone. To just have an Alien movie that has been thought through on that level, to get to see a film like that in the cinema at last...it was a joy to me in the same way that Prometheus was devastating. It's not bogged down with nonsense, it's not full of shoehorned ideas from some director or writer who thinks they know better.

It's a proper Alien movie for people who've been waiting for one since Aliens. Or at least, it's as close to that as anything has gotten since.

My order, for reference:

Aliens
Alien
Covenant
Alien 3
Resurrection
Prometheus (I would put Prometheus higher if it didn't have the construction issues I highlighted. I pretty much despise 3/4 but acknowledge that they hang together much better and are largely better acted).

John Doe

John Doe

That´s from the viral clip with Daniels like Ripley. You can see the fire:

There are other moments, like the scream of Rosenthal and Alien running on the corridor that were not in the final film. Maybe there is a different final for the film with all that from the Daniels clip.

Sad, so sad with this terrible movie.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: MightyViper on May 12, 2017, 08:13:34 PM
Things happen, but they have no real consequences. They don't follow through to a logical, imaginative end. Charlie is infected, but his infection never goes anywhere. He just looks mottled and then gets flamethrower-ed. Same with Fifield. He simply turns up, as if the writers realised they had to have a scary moment, kills a few people we've never seen before, then gets crushed. And an almost identical action structure happens at the end. The threat is announced (David says the engineer is coming), the threat arrives, the threat is removed in one simple stroke.

Consequences are part of why 'Alien' worked as well as it did. Each loss had a visceral feeling of aftermath (including Kane, who had a funeral, even if many viewers don't remember it happening). After Brett is abducted, we're immediately greeted with Parker, this big bear of a dude, just staring ahead of him in disbelief as he struggles to articulate the gravity of what he'd just witnessed from afar.

Even for Dallas, as fast as his passing was, we're left in those next crucial seconds, post-jump-scare, with that haunting screech of electric static as Lambert begins emotionally falling apart.

John Doe

John Doe

I think the problem, with the poor script, it´s that they did a rushed production and fast release.

Ridley works fast, he doesn´t take the necesary time for his movies.

yarko

yarko

I've just seen it as well... And I'm going to have to watch it a couple of times more before I have a definite opinion. It was rather different to what I had in mind. This is not really a movie about the Alien, nor the Alien is the 'bad guy'. It is all about David, and the alien is a secondary subplot and removing him from the script and making it just prometheus 2 wouldn't have changed the movie that much. But David's character was very interesting, everything that surrounded him is disturbing, the whole movie has a 'something is very wrong with this situation' feel to it, uneasy and dark. David's workshop was one of the most interesting set pieces of recent times, and I really think they should have made a VR experience out of that instead of the in utero thing. I really wanted to inspect all those drawings, all the props, everything. There was a lot of hidden Giger references in there, which I would have liked to be more prominent.

I loved the creatures, both old and new, but I would have liked to see more of the original Alien, specially more suspense and a slower pace on its scenes (it's true that the third act feels too rushed, I just wanted them to calm down and take their time to create tension). Some of the scenes were really magistral (loved all the chest-back-neck-bursters) and while you can nottice everything is CGI, it is not BAD CGI by any means. Really detailed and photorealistic CGI, there is just some uncanny valley with the movement I guess.

Not the movie I was expecting, but it definitely brings some new ideas to the Alien universe that I will have to digest before fully embracing it.

The ending is killer, it might be one of the best endings of the whole saga... far from the typical happy ending. It's kind of a cliffhanger (you can really see they have another sequel in mind) but I also feel that whatever you imagine that happens after will be more epic that what they might actually end up filming, so we¡ll see what happens in that regard.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: John Doe on May 12, 2017, 08:30:38 PM
I think the problem, with the poor script, it´s that they did a rushed production and fast release.

This too, but i'm not sure if it would have made the movie better. Perhaps better visuals and cgi with more dynamic editing suffered from this.

Stolen

Stolen

Quote from: John Doe on May 12, 2017, 08:14:35 PM
That´s from the viral clip with Daniels like Ripley. You can see the fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOV86D0wTaU

Thank you ! Strange because some shots are superb (0: 44sec)

MightyViper

MightyViper

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 12, 2017, 08:24:32 PM

Consequences are part of why 'Alien' worked as well as it did. Each loss had a visceral feeling of aftermath (including Kane, who had a funeral, even if many viewers don't remember it happening). After Brett is abducted, we're immediately greeted with Parker, this big bear of a dude, just staring ahead of him in disbelief as he struggles to articulate the gravity of what he'd just witnessed from afar.

Even for Dallas, as fast as his passing was, we're left in those next crucial seconds, post-jump-scare, with that haunting screech of electric static as Lambert begins emotionally falling apart.

I would completely agree with this. But it's not just the consequences to the characters and how other characters react that's an improvement over Prometheus. It's the consequences in terms of an action leading to a pay off. Both Alien and Aliens are stuffed to the gills with extremely satisfying, imaginative pay offs. Covenant doesn't have quite as many, but they're definitely present in a way they just weren't in Prometheus.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 12, 2017, 08:24:32 PM

Spot on, I love those moments in Alien. They carry so much weight and that's all too rare in this kind of film.

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: reecebomb on May 12, 2017, 08:38:36 PM

This too, but i'm not sure if it would have made the movie better. Perhaps better visuals and cgi with more dynamic editing suffered from this.

I am looking forward to seeing the movie myself cause I am hearing so many conflicting reports about CGI. People saying its full CGI, others saying practical with digital overlay, some say it's done very well, others say its completely jarring and AvP bad. This goes for almost everything about the film actually. Even official reviews are all over the place. Its got me intrigued at the very least!

Nightlord

Nightlord

More enjoyable than Prometheus, but the direction taken with David is more disappointing than the Space Jockey is a giant human reveal.

Rudiger

Rudiger

The CGI was definitely sub standard in places. The face huggers were great though.

What I really struggled with was the cliche ridden plot. It was like a greatest hits of 80s slasher movies in the way that characters surrounded by death and destruction continued to do really dumb things in order to get themselves killed.

This was further hampered by the film's internal logic falling down. Just because the audience understands why people are suddenly spouting deadly little creatures, there is no logic in the characters just ignoring what's happening to them.

Then there are the gapping great big plot holes, just like in Prometheus, with the same lack of answers.

dumbass_colonist

Wow I was not expecting Covenant to be as bad as it was. Wonderfully terrible! I can't quite believe that the guy that made Alien made this too. What the f**k happened??

cucuchu

cucuchu

Funny you say that. During an interview posted today, he was talking about how he likes to move quickly to keep the energy alive. Maybe not for something like this in the future...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed