Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 278,240 times)

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: USS-Sulaco on May 12, 2017, 07:51:35 AM
Quote from: ebbhead40 on May 12, 2017, 07:27:23 AM
Quote from: USS-Sulaco on May 12, 2017, 06:51:08 AM
Quote from: gantarat on May 12, 2017, 06:26:01 AM
Quote from: dave1978 on May 12, 2017, 06:03:18 AM
Now thats how you do an Alien movie,  i thought it was totally brilliant. 

Over the years i have been one of Prometheus's harshest critics but Alien covenant was such a relief that they pulled it off. 

Yes there are faults and one dissapointment was the cut scenes of the Alien,  what happened to the red corridor,  where was the scene with Mother "its 4 feet above you"?    We have to remember the incredibly high standards by which we are judging this film,  Alien & Aliens are freaks of cinema,  films like that will never be achieved ever again 10 out of 10's.  But Covenant easily gains a healthy 8/10.

Best scene of the film has to be the birth of the main Xeno,  the way it and David stand looking at each other, wonderful stuff.

look stupid to me. (i hear some people giggle)

That's how I felt. I think there was a collective cringe in the cinema I was in over that shite

Thats the point my 'willing the film to get better' ran out, I think. There were lots of laughs, FFS's, tuts and facepalms going on where I was.

*wavey hands*
"Hello Mr David!! Screeeeeee!!"

Haha at least I was enjoying the film thoroughly to that point. Would've been even worse if I wasn't and then that was the icing on the turd cake (had even suspended my disbelief on Orams about turn after calling David the devil and then 180 turn 'oh actually I might trust you after all you old rascal, lead me to my death')
He had him pegged completely, then he turns and trusts the treacherous prick a moment later and pays the price. That made less sense than anything character-wise in Prometheus.

Stargazer

Stargazer

God damn!!

Id give this a solid 4 out of 5.

I got exactly what i wanted out of it. I loved it. Wasnt as hyped as i thought i would have for this film when it was announced but it surprised me by actually. . . Being good.

There are some scenes that are burned into my mind right now.

The film has left some unanswered questions but im fine with that seeing as how they haver already written a sequel so at least now we know these films wont be made up as they go along. Cant wait for the sequel.

RIDLEY SCOTT my whigga. You made a great scifi film again. Congrats. For a while there i thought blade runner and Alien were just flukes.

I can see why some people dont like it but i guess im just easy to please with films. Only gripe I have though. . Why in scifi films, do explorers always take off their freakin helmets!!!

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: Elmazalman on May 12, 2017, 07:56:46 AM
Quote from: USS-Sulaco on May 12, 2017, 07:51:35 AM
Quote from: ebbhead40 on May 12, 2017, 07:27:23 AM
Quote from: USS-Sulaco on May 12, 2017, 06:51:08 AM
Quote from: gantarat on May 12, 2017, 06:26:01 AM
Quote from: dave1978 on May 12, 2017, 06:03:18 AM
Now thats how you do an Alien movie,  i thought it was totally brilliant. 

Over the years i have been one of Prometheus's harshest critics but Alien covenant was such a relief that they pulled it off. 

Yes there are faults and one dissapointment was the cut scenes of the Alien,  what happened to the red corridor,  where was the scene with Mother "its 4 feet above you"?    We have to remember the incredibly high standards by which we are judging this film,  Alien & Aliens are freaks of cinema,  films like that will never be achieved ever again 10 out of 10's.  But Covenant easily gains a healthy 8/10.

Best scene of the film has to be the birth of the main Xeno,  the way it and David stand looking at each other, wonderful stuff.

look stupid to me. (i hear some people giggle)

That's how I felt. I think there was a collective cringe in the cinema I was in over that shite

Thats the point my 'willing the film to get better' ran out, I think. There were lots of laughs, FFS's, tuts and facepalms going on where I was.

*wavey hands*
"Hello Mr David!! Screeeeeee!!"

Haha at least I was enjoying the film thoroughly to that point. Would've been even worse if I wasn't and then that was the icing on the turd cake (had even suspended my disbelief on Orams about turn after calling David the devil and then 180 turn 'oh actually I might trust you after all you old rascal, lead me to my death')
He had him pegged completely, then he turns and trusts the treacherous prick a moment later and pays the price. That made less sense than anything character-wise in Prometheus.
He wanted to know what was going on. He was the one with a gun. I don't think he expected to be facehugged.

SiL

SiL

Spoiler
Again, he literally just saw the android trying to talk and sympathize with the monster, then got a 5 minute tour through David's house of horrors where he explains he's been improving said monsters. He has zero reason to trust David or feel safe sticking his face in an alien object.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: PierreVW on May 12, 2017, 05:24:38 AM
I just saw it and I LOVED IT!.

But I understand why some of you are hating it.

I think PROMETHEUS is a failure but a very interesting failure.

ALIEN: COVENANT works A LOT BETTER than PROMETHEUS but at the same time it's a more simple film.

Still I love 4 aspects of ALIEN: COVENANT:

1.- Sir Ridley Scott: His Directing is VERY STRONG. Its FRANTIC rithm and pace is perfection. It felt very modern.

2.- Michael Fassbender: His acting is perfection. After this film, I think Michael Fassbender is the greatest actor worldwide. Better than Leonardo DiCaprio.

3.- Katherine Waterston: She works better than Noomi Rapace in PROMETHEUS. Katherine Waterston is the Heart of this movie.

4.- The Production Design by Chris Seagers: BEAUTIFUL!.

I forgot MY ALL TIME RANKING:

1.- ALIEN.

2.- ALIENS.

3.- ALIEN: COVENANT.

4.- PROMETHEUS.

5.- ALIEN 3.

6.- ALIEN: RESURRECTION.

7.- ALIEN VS PREDATOR.

8.- ALIEN VS PREDATOR: REQUIEM.

Merging with existing fan reviews thread.

SiL

SiL

As for ratings, I'm going to stick Covenant around Alien Resurrection. They have merits, but they're not what I want out of an Alien film and I'm happy not paying them much attention going forward.

jdxmoore

jdxmoore

Went to see it last night and I really enjoyed it. As a big fan of Alien and Prometheus I left the cinema satisfied.

There are some wonderful moments in this film imo. The David and Walter scenes were standout for me and I personally have no qualms with the direction that they appear to be taking with David's storyline. The other scene I loved was the lander approach and landing on the planet - mind blowing  visuals.

I loved the cast who did a great job - no individual or line of dialog bothered me (apart from the Daniel's line about blowing it into space!).

Special mention for the music score by Jed Kurzel which worked very well and enhanced the mood of the visuals and story. Seemed to me he came on board to this project quite late in production so a fantastic job by him in quite a short amount of time.

I'm glad they did both prologues but feel they maybe could have integrated them into the final cut somehow instead.

Looking forward to the next movie and the books by ADF.

My ranking:

1) Alien 10/10
2) Aliens 10/10
3) Alien Covenant 8.5/10
4) Prometheus 8/10
5) Alien 3 7/10
6) Resurrection 3/10

SiL

SiL

For record:

Alien
Aliens
Alien3
Resurrection
Covenant
Prometheus

Ingwar

Ingwar

Saw it last night. Very uneven movie. Some great scenes (prologue) and some soulless ones. When it comes to Alien lore plenty of WTF? moments. There are even some comedic moment Resurrection-alike. It's a solid but generic movie. Editing could have been better. Ridley Scott is an entertainer and Covenant is an popcorn flick. Scott lost his magic but he's able to make a decent movies.

6.5 out of 10.

I'm gonna watch it again on blu-ray. It's very re-watchable movie which is a merit.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Honestly, I think Scott is too big for these films. Alien was great because it had such a great collaborative creative team on it. People don't tell Scott no now and Scott tends to bend to the studios (*cough* Alien inclusion that felt forced because it was *cough*) because he knows how to play the game to get what he wants (David).

While I like David, I'd still a rather rounded out finished production. I think it's time we got back to new faces.

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 12, 2017, 08:16:13 AM
Honestly, I think Scott is too big for these films. Alien was great because it had such a great collaborative creative team on it. People don't tell Scott no now and Scott tends to bend to the studios (*cough* Alien inclusion that felt forced because it was *cough*) because he knows how to play the game to get what he wants (David).

While I like David, I'd still a rather rounded out finished production. I think it's time we got back to new faces.

This. I'm starting to regret manifesting the death of Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5. :(

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I don't think Blomkamp's project as we knew it would have been good but I'd have no issues with seeing him tackle a different story.

ebbhead40

ebbhead40

I think it all hangs on whether or not you like 'David the mental AI creatOr' angle or not. The trouble I have is that for me the Alien universe was great because the scifi elements were grounded in a believable, 'real' future feeling. The whole David thing was handled in a way that started to stray off into almost fantasy territory.

Alien
Aliens
Alien3
Prometheus
Covenant
Resurrection

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 12, 2017, 08:23:12 AM
I don't think Blomkamp's project as we knew it would have been good but I'd have no issues with seeing him tackle a different story.

Absolutely!  I still think he'd be a great successor to Scott for continuing the series.  Him, or Villeneuve.  Both of those Directors have the technical skills and background in bringing SF content to the screen. 

It doesn't matter who makes the next movie, though.  They'll need a thoroughly kick ass writer to bring it to life.

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: windebieste on May 12, 2017, 08:29:07 AM
It doesn't matter who makes the next movie, though.  They'll need a thoroughly kick ass writer to bring it to life.

And a director who will listen to that writer.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed