Are you going to wait for reviews before buying?

Started by demonbane, Jan 19, 2014, 01:12:05 AM

Are you going to wait for reviews before buying?

Yes
39 (69.6%)
No
17 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author
Are you going to wait for reviews before buying? (Read 7,479 times)

Space Voyager

Last time I preordered was XCOM. I was pretty pissed when the game was 60% off two months later.

CONKERSBADFURDAY

I know I should, but I'm still kind of a stupid fanboy who wants video games with Xenos in them.

This will deliver that.

Plus I'll want to buy it early so I can predownload it.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 23, 2014, 08:38:05 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 23, 2014, 05:06:34 AMLOL @ paying full price for any video game ever.
Absolutely. I practically never buy games on release any more, you can just wait a couple of months and get it for half the price. Not to mention the number of times I've been burned by games that claimed to be something they weren't before they came out.

These days I only get games day one if it's something I really want.
So do I. I've been burned before, but that's life. Even though we know that it'll be cheaper if we wait, some of us want it day one. Ownership is important to a lot of people, myself included.
Quote from: Cal427eb on Jan 23, 2014, 04:51:43 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 23, 2014, 04:12:05 AM
Gamefly on day one.  Assuming I have a system it'll run on.
lol renting games
Been using Gamefly for years. They have some decent sales on from time to time. Makes it easier than buying everything you ever "might" have wanted to play and a lot cheaper, should you have the time to devote to the hobby.
Quote from: CONKERSBADFURDAY on Feb 09, 2014, 12:41:17 AM
I know I should, but I'm still kind of a stupid fanboy who wants video games with Xenos in them.
*throws hand up* Yeah me too.

Kimarhi

Yeah I always do that shit because I am not a patient man.

PsyKore

Same here. I have to buy it day one. Because I'm a fan.

Cal427eb

More power to you.

Kimarhi

Cal is but a poor college student.

Cal427eb

Tis true.

Kimarhi

I promised I'd get a job when my deployment funds hit 10,000 left.

Tis close.   :'(

Samus007

Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 11, 2014, 11:03:03 AM

Same here. I have to buy it day one. Because I'm a fan.

Same. I can't help myself. I knew based on the reviews I should have cancelled my pre-order of Colonial Marines, but I just had to have the damn game. I'll do the same for this. But I have a strong feeling this will be a very good game.

DB

I need lots of footage or a convincing demo before I make a decision.

I do not usually trust reviews done by game "journalists". I'd only read user reviews and take the consensus as a factor weighing in on the choice.

Aceburster

Im definitely not preordering, and im not sure reviews are going to be much help either since you know its just going to be a lot of "its better than A:CM and scarier than Amnesia"  and im sure [insert screaming LP'er name here] will cloud many average gamers opinions of it.

I gotta see it in action firsthand and see how well it actually plays, or at least see the community reviews here first.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Not if the collector's edition is worth it lol.

I probably should wait to see the general conscensous however.

judge death

Preordering a game just because it has xenos in it isnt the best idea since many game developers will use that to earn easy money xD

Quote from: DB on Feb 13, 2014, 12:22:42 AM
I need lots of footage or a convincing demo before I make a decision.

I do not usually trust reviews done by game "journalists". I'd only read user reviews and take the consensus as a factor weighing in on the choice.
Advice: Dont trust pictures and videos they show, especially if they show many trailers and promotional: Most often they try to make it look better than it is and trick you to preorder like in the case with colonial marines where they released tons of trailers and "in game" videos and no they were a bluff to make you think they were good ;)

Reviews and what other dedicated people think is the way to go and trust, only way to be sure before spending your money.

Gaming industry today is mostly just after your money not making the best game ever as some think xD
And I warned people for aliens colonial marines long before it came out and people where: OMG the trailer looks amazing, warned them it would be a terrible game but none listened....

gabgrave

The thing is, nowadays games tend to use the DLC gimmick to make people purchase pre-orders, at least for multiplayers. So for a single player game, either they include some physical item to justify the preorder, or else there's no point in getting it.

At the very least, we know any bonus that comes with it isn't going to be some shitty DLC that you won't bother to use once the hype wears off...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed