X-Box One Discussion

Started by ShadowPred, Aug 06, 2012, 10:21:00 PM

Author
X-Box One Discussion (Read 150,491 times)

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Oct 31, 2013, 03:51:57 AMNo. What I'm saying is, I don't care about the tiny technical aspects of the graphics. 720 vs 1080 is completely pointless, because when you get down to it, in the middle of a game, you're not going to notice the difference.
But the cinemas...?

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Oct 31, 2013, 03:51:57 AM
No. What I'm saying is, I don't care about the tiny technical aspects of the graphics. 720 vs 1080 is completely pointless, because when you get down to it, in the middle of a game, you're not going to notice the difference. If it looks good when I'm playing, then that's all I care about. Be it Marathon or BioShock: Infinite, as long as the art direction and aesthetic of the game is strong, I'm good.
I wasn't really arguing with you. I agree that 720p vs. 1080p isn't that big of a difference on consoles, but when you're using a PC it seems like the difference is even more noticeable. It's probably due to super sampling, and anti aliasing(which is in limited use on consoles) though.

As for 100fps, that's just useless. Your eye can't even see 100fps.
Nope. Anybody that says this has not seen the difference between 60fps and 144fps.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Ah, whatever. I'm arguing the point that I'm indifferent to these things. Arguing indifference just seems so... contrarian. :laugh:

Quote from: Magegg on Oct 31, 2013, 03:53:24 AM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Oct 31, 2013, 03:51:57 AMNo. What I'm saying is, I don't care about the tiny technical aspects of the graphics. 720 vs 1080 is completely pointless, because when you get down to it, in the middle of a game, you're not going to notice the difference.
But the cinemas...?

They're places you go to watch movies.

Next question?

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Oct 31, 2013, 02:43:38 AM
2007 is the year where games pretty much hit graphical perfection for me. Halo 3, CoD 4, BioShock, all absolutely stellar looking games, and all of them hold up damned well today (well, except for BS's lip-synching, that was always a bit off). All the advancements since then, sure, they've been very nice, but they've never added too much. We've gotten to a point of diminishing returns, where major upgrades in graphics lead to only minute differences in visuals.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I mean, even between GTA IV (2008) and Red Dead Redemption (2010) (which ended up being the base for Max Payne 3 and GTA V), the improvements in graphical fidelity have been immense. Even in a smaller time frame, between Modern Warfare (2007) and Modern Warfare 2 (2009), or Mass Effect (2007) and Mass Effect 2 (early 2010), presentational values have been upped much higher, be it in animation, lighting, texture fidelity, performance capture, anything, really. If anything, I'd say 2007 was the last year of the first stage of console graphical technology, and since then, for AAA titles at least, everything has been on the rise.

Perhaps the greatest thing to demonstrate this, aside from Rockstar's improvements, is the shift from Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2007) to Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2009), where it almost appeared as if there was a console generation gap. That change ended up being pretty telling for the way graphical technology on consoles was headed.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

What I mean is, when I go back to older games, 2007 is generally the cutoff year graphically; everything before that, I can really notice the difference in graphics. Everything from that year on, it all kinda just fades away into background to the gameplay.

Obviously there have been major advances in the interim. I'm just saying that the advances are becoming less and less noticeable as the years go on.

Magegg

Magegg

Well, that'... your opinion, man ;)

WinterActual

WinterActual

As for 100fps, that's just useless. Your eye can't even see 100fps.
You heard that from the comments in YT right?  :laugh:

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Studies of the human eye, actually.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Oct 31, 2013, 05:50:22 AM
Studies of the human eye, actually.
When I don't get 120fps I think the game is lagging.  :laugh:

Maybe there isn't a difference past 100, but there is a f**king HUGE difference going from a consoles 30/60fps to 120.

WinterActual

WinterActual

No f**king surprise why the consoles get away with the 30fps games.... There are people who believe there is no difference past 60.. omg..

Start playing CS on competitive level for a while and you will notice the difference between 60 and 100 fps very quickly  ;)

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: WinterActual on Oct 31, 2013, 07:43:39 AM
No f**king surprise why the consoles get away with the 30fps games.... There are people who believe there is no difference past 60.. omg..
And they use motion blur to disguise it.  :P

coolbreeze

coolbreeze

Oh look, more useless PC talk in the X1 thread...Surprise, surprise.... ::)

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: coolbreeze on Oct 31, 2013, 08:15:19 AM
Oh look, more useless PC talk in the X1 thread...Surprise, surprise.... ::)
It's necessary if we're talking about fps here. Console players don't have a reference point for things over 60fps.  :P

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

There really needs to be a thread dedicated to PC wanking, but I'm pretty sure the PC elite can't exist in an environment purely comprised of themselves, without being able to tell somebody that they're gaming wrong.

If anybody was truly enticed or gave any shits, they'd upgrade their PC already.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed