[HUGE SPOILER] Why did David need...

Started by OmegaZilla, May 11, 2017, 06:14:56 PM

Author
[HUGE SPOILER] Why did David need... (Read 3,875 times)

JokersWarPig

Quotebecause many have assumed for decades that the Xenomorph was ancient.
QuoteBut the truth is that we didn't know this at that point, because it was never established on stone in the original movie (that was just speculation IMO).

But the Xenomorph being ancient is established. It's said right in the movie the original Space Jockey is fossilized, thats a process that takes thousands of years. The events that led him to crash there couldn't happen in the time line Ridley has set.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Predaker on May 11, 2017, 07:18:25 PM
I don't think the black goo is encoded with the trilobite lifecycle as it were, what happened there was it mutated Holloway's love juice (which unfortunately David didn't have any of his own for experiments.)
...meaning that the coding for it was in the fluid

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 11, 2017, 07:22:24 PM
Yeah but the Neomorphs in Covenant already have a similar life cycle and that's before the wasps I think.
indeed

Quote from: JokersWarPig on May 11, 2017, 07:22:47 PM
But the Xenomorph being ancient is established. It's said right in the movie the original Space Jockey is fossilized, thats a process that takes thousands of years. The events that led him to crash there couldn't happen in the time line Ridley has set.

the movie also calls the Space Jockey an "alien life form"... which we know it isn't.

Whos_Nick

One way Ridley can possibly explain the Derelict being a recent event is that Dallas said it looked fossilized and that he wasn't a scientist. I don't like it, but that might be what he does.  ::)

AsapJockey

Quote from: Whos_Nick on May 11, 2017, 07:24:54 PM
One way Ridley can possibly explain the Derelict being a recent event is that Dallas said it looked fossilized and that he wasn't a scientist. I don't like it, but that might be what he does.  ::)

We pretty much chalk it up to that, Dallas is a moron

426Buddy

426Buddy

Dallas isnt a moron and what he was looking at did indeed look ancient. Unfortunately fossilization just doesn't work like that, just leaving the Jockey there for eternity wouldnt result in fossilization anyway. Dallas is just a pilot and probably doesn't have any background in geology, he was guessing.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: Omegamorph on May 11, 2017, 07:24:21 PM
I don't think the black goo is encoded with the trilobite lifecycle as it were, what happened there was it mutated Holloway's love juice (which unfortunately David didn't have any of his own for experiments.)

Yeah but the Neomorphs in Covenant already have a similar life cycle and that's before the wasps I think.
indeed

the movie also calls the Space Jockey an "alien life form"... which we know it isn't.
Quote from: CoalescedChaos
The Accelerant and the Neomorphs, including the Deacon are indeed parasitic, but that doesn't mean they're self-sustaining. They may lack a reproduction cycle or a means to continue propagation of the species.

Black goo > Holloway > Mutated Sperm/Trilobite > Deacon > End

Black goo > Fungi > Mutated spore > Neomorph > End

Remember, the black goo was essentially a bomb that was supped to wipe out civilizations to allow a clean slate. If it resulted in creating species that could reproduce on their own, then the black goo wouldn't be very useful, as whoever dropped the black goo on the planet would then need to clear the newly developed creatures, too.

The addition of the parasitic wasp may have been included, not for it's parasitic properties because that's already there, but for it's refined reproduction capabilities, and formidability, giving it an armored exoskeleton.

No, the black goo is an accelerant. It causes mutations. Not everything that came into contact with the black goo became a trilobite.

Also I agree with CoalescedChaos, as I've mentioned previously I don't think these critters were meant to be self-sustaining. The engineers used the goo to ultimately destroy fauna (which was also mentioned by SiL.)

Unlike the mutations, the space wasp has a self-sustaining life cycle that presumably includes a queen.

The real question here is why didn't Ridley give those aliens wings from the space wasp. That would have added something new.

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: Predaker on May 11, 2017, 07:46:02 PM

indeed

Quote from: CoalescedChaos
The Accelerant and the Neomorphs, including the Deacon are indeed parasitic, but that doesn't mean they're self-sustaining. They may lack a reproduction cycle or a means to continue propagation of the species.

Remember, the black goo was essentially a bomb that was supped to wipe out civilizations to allow a clean slate. If it resulted in creating species that could reproduce on their own, then the black goo wouldn't be very useful, as whoever dropped the black goo on the planet would then need to clear the newly developed creatures, too.

The addition of the parasitic wasp may have been included, not for it's parasitic properties because that's already there, but for it's refined reproduction capabilities, and formidability, giving it an armored exoskeleton.

No, the black goo is an accelerant. It causes mutations. Not everything that came into contact with the black goo became a trilobite.

Also I agree with CoalescedChaos, as I've mentioned previously I don't think these critters were meant to be self-sustaining. The engineers used the goo to ultimately destroy fauna (which was also mentioned by SiL.)

Unlike the mutations, the space wasp has a self-sustaining life cycle that presumably includes a queen.

The real question here is why didn't Ridley give those aliens wings from the space wasp. That would have added something new.

So, is the accelerant not what the Ancient Engineers used to create life on Earth? I think there's more to the "black goo" that David is not telling us. I ultimately don't trust David. I think he's a liar and a thief. Prometheus. Literally.

GrimmVision

GrimmVision

I posted this previously, and looks like a couple people were able to quote it before I made changes, but I edited it and added some info. :P

Remember, the black goo was essentially a bomb that was supposed to wipe out civilizations to allow for a clean slate. It breaks down cells and essentially disintegrates the body of a mammal. I think it also depends on how it's applied - ingested, inhaled, skin contact, whatever have you. In the case of Fifield, the pure Accelerant is inhaled, but not enough to break down his body. Instead it mutated him and made him hyper-aggressive, a trait the Aliens seem to have through and through.

I have a feeling there's some sort of unintended side effect of the Accelerant, though. It can directly effect the reproductive systems of mammals it comes into contact with. Fungi are not plants. They are not flora. This is why the Accelerant has an effect on the Fungi and it's spores, and not plant life.

In the case of the worms, they were submerged in the Accelerant. But what ability do worms inherently possess? A worm can live as two separate entities and continue to live after they been cut in half - that's a form of reproduction.

426Buddy

Works for me

FunkyJawa

FunkyJawa

Quote from: Omegamorph on May 11, 2017, 06:14:56 PM
...a space wasp/bee etc to introduce the parasitoid life cycle in the Neomorph template, thus creating the Alien? The Trilobite/Deacon demonstrates that the blueprint of a parasitoid life cycle was already encoded within the black fluid. So did the Neomorphs. So why were the wasps needed at all? Just a nifty reference to O'Bannon's original inspiration for the Alien?

There aren't many creatures much more aggressive than wasps. I'd imagine that'd be as good a reason as any if he was going for an uncontrollable, nasty merciless beast.

Predaker

Also this from Wikipedia:

QuoteA wasp is any insect of the order Hymenoptera and suborder Apocrita that is ... and are eusocial, living together in a nest with an egg-laying queen and non-reproducing workers.

GrimmVision

GrimmVision

@Predaker

I think wings would've made them too buggy. But it answers the age-old question of what the tubes are. They are wing reminents.

@LCpl. D. Grant

I think the Accelerant was used at the beginning of Prometheus, but I believe it was mixed with something else. That clear caviar like substance. A building block for life.

AsapJockey

I think David saw that the keypiece was Shaw, when he saw how Charlies sperm made her spout a alien child and she didn't become some monster like finfield. He kinda took that knowledge and said "Well elizabeths reproductive system was kinda a womb for this goo and it didn't effect her other organs and a organism came outta her, wonder if i can do better" so when she went to sleep, he went to work on her.

rabidranger

The point here is David clearly wanted to introduce the behavior of an endoparasitoid wasp into the alien lifecycle.

JokersWarPig

Well it certainly isn't a human being from earth, so what is it?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed