Peter Weyland

Started by Mr. Knight, Jun 02, 2012, 12:57:48 PM

Author
Peter Weyland (Read 4,519 times)

Mr. Knight

Mr. Knight

What an utterly pointless inclusion in the film made worse by an young actor playing an old man. It just looked absolutely ridiculous. Had they been clever they would have gone for Peter O Toole.

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

yes, it did end up being a bit pointless, i understand the reasoning but the story arc was badly executed and ended up being a total waste when he died so fast, especially after vickers speech about him dying if he goes down there.

would have been much better had he become an engineer as predicted and been punished for it or something.

thanks

rich

Valaquen

Valaquen

I really did like David's final words to him. It did take me out of the movie to know that it was a young man playing an older one for pretty much no reason other than Pearce's star power.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Jun 02, 2012, 01:01:27 PM
would have been much better had he become an engineer as predicted and been punished for it or something.
I guess this is one thing we'll wholeheartly disagree on, but that's fine  :)

To me, I think they went just far enough with the 'humans interacting with alien technology angle', with David using the controls inside the chamber. I always find it completely unimaginative and unrealistic when in your usual sci-fi film, humans take a look at some alien technology and they figure out how to use it correctly. No 'compability issues'. Even with the connection between humans and engineers in this film, I appreciate that their tech still feels mysterious/frightning to us and we haven't quite figured them out yet.

About Pearces makeup - in some closeups it looked really good and then suddenly from a different angle, less so. It might have been a better idea to go for an older actor - the Peter O'Toole idea is quite clever and it wouln't be a stretch for Pearce to portray Weyland in his 30s, while O'Toole could portray him in his 100s.

SteaminStephen

SteaminStephen

i agree they revealed he was on the ship & then he is in around 2 scenes & dies. Wasnt exactly groundbreaking stuff with him. I also think the connection between him & vickers was lazily explained

Predaker

Predaker

I think it would have been great to see Weyland becoming young again from something discovered at the temple. They don't necessarily have to figure out how to use foreign tech. Seems like they were fast and loose with this movie and it's script anyway. They could have shown Weyland find something, drink it, then become young again. At some point, it would backfire and he would grow old and die or disintegrate or some other horrible death.

As it stands now, he says a few things and dies a lackluster death from a head injury.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Why did he even pretend to be dead, exactly? I got the feeling that that was his purpose; he lied to the Prometheus crew about being there, but why? He was very clearly going to make an appearance.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Predaker on Jun 02, 2012, 01:40:12 PM
I think it would have been great to see Weyland becoming young again from something discovered at the temple. They don't necessarily have to figure out how to use foreign tech. Seems like they were fast and loose with this movie and it's script anyway. They could have shown Weyland find something, drink it, then become young again. At some point, it would backfire and he would grow old and die or disintegrate or some other horrible death.

As it stands now, he says a few things and dies a lackluster death from a head injury.

Have to disagree there, using this story as a elixir of life parable would be a very tired cliche indeed. It's enough that Weyland thought that without actually making it reality within the story. I agree though that the death scenes were on the whole rather feeble, which surprises me with Ridley, he usually likes to imply great violence in a neatly crafted and implied way, but that encounter was just a bit of a fatal fist fight.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Yeah, I think it better that Weyland's arrogance was met with a smack to the head.

In a way I wish his TED talk was incorporated into the film somehow, rather than as promo material.

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 02, 2012, 02:01:33 PM
Yeah, I think it better that Weyland's arrogance was met with a smack to the head.

In a way I wish his TED talk was incorporated into the film somehow, rather than as promo material.

agreed, the ted talk could have been straight after the start with the engineer, or somhow keep jumping between the two, as in when hes saying were the gods now could then jump back to showing the dna in the water.

but weyland should definitely have been more integral to the story and been punished for doing something.

thanks

rich

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 02, 2012, 02:01:33 PM

I agree, there would have been a point in the old age make-up then. As it stands you just feel that an older actor would have been a better idea. I think Shaw's video call to Weyland for the money could have been in the film as well. Isn't there a scene of everyone suiting up for the start of the mission too. I feel that some of that could have been integrated into the 'David alone' scenes near the beginning.

Predaker

Predaker

Who knows what good scenes may have been cut to fit this movie in its package. Blu-ray will be better hopefully.

As for cliches, this movie just might help launch AA theory into full blown cliche.  ;)

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 02, 2012, 01:42:39 PM
Why did he even pretend to be dead, exactly? I got the feeling that that was his purpose; he lied to the Prometheus crew about being there, but why? He was very clearly going to make an appearance.

I got the impression of a man who had cut all ties to his Earthly alter ego, Weyland CEO Peter Weyland, if that makes any sense. Neither does he display any interest whatsoever in Vickers at this stage. It might just be the researchers/scientist who weren't aware he was onboard, but assumed he was dead after watching the recording, where Weyland stated that he probably would be dead when they watched it.

I'm guessing he felt he was so close to death that David was under orders to wake him up only when things were set up for Weyland to face the engineer in person. That's my $0.02 anyway...  :)

Valaquen

Valaquen

I thought he said he would be dead? Cannot remember.

As he is in the film, he's utterly one dimensional. Wish he was more fleshed out, rather than serving as something that's meant to shock the audience. David' final words to him are both ominous and touching and I wish more of a relationship was fleshed out there. Weyland does remark that David is biologically immortal, and therefore can't appreciate life and death, but I'd like to know how death drove Weyland. Did it make him lose his marbles, a little? I wish there was more to him in the film.

Eva

Eva

Maybe he said that - can't remember either. But did you notice Davids facial expression when Weyland remarked that he did not possess a soul? Just a tiny change, but it's there...

I'd wished they had fleshed out the relationship between Weyland, David and Vickers more as well. It has setup but no real payoff, apart from the corridor scene (which was fine) and Vickers contronting Weyland (which was sloppy).

PS: they could have added Weylands TED talk to the recording, have a crew reaction and then have David play the other recent recording and trim the scene. Could have worked. I'd like the imaginary transition from early Earth to Prometheus in space, not to be interrupted by other stuff, 2001 style. What can I say - I really like that transition.  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed