Engineers - worst retcon in the history of cinema

Started by 180924609, Jul 01, 2012, 05:35:36 PM

Author
Engineers - worst retcon in the history of cinema (Read 32,872 times)

ScardyFox

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jul 01, 2012, 09:59:49 PM
Quote from: ScardyFox on Jul 01, 2012, 09:35:13 PM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jul 01, 2012, 08:45:23 PM
Brb, hanging myself.

can I have your sig?
Sure, it's down the left hallway, second room on the right, and inside the f**koff,no.

Spoiler
;) :laugh:
[close]

Damnit!

8thPassenger

Quote from: thecaffeinatedone on Jul 01, 2012, 11:48:29 PM
More people need to stop bitching about the engineers as a bad thing and start talking about the films fragmented narrative and lack of character development. IMO, I think that people who liked the film and hated it can both concede that the film had those flaws with it.

This.

In my opinion, Ridley (or anybody else for that matter) can put anything they want in their film. Engineers, proto-xenos, creation of mankind, anything. Just tell the story well, preferably with some interesting and logical characters. "Fragmented narrative" was actually a very good way to put it. So for a lot of people (like myself) the problem of Prometheus is not the content (what) but rather the narrative (how).

psychonaut25

The problem with engineers is that people were too much influenced by EU and jockeys portraied as an elephantine creatures. Another problem is that prometheus itself is a movie influenced too much by the Ancient Astronaut theory/Tsoukalos-Danniken like theories. In my oppinion engineers/jockeys are ok. Just as I imagined those ancient Gods from times of summeria or babylon.

Aceburster

Suit doesnt bother me, it coulda been a raccoon in a suit for all I care. I was just hoping he would be a 20+ foot tall thing in a full suit or whatever, doing a stompy dance all over the Prometheus crew. Extra points for not looking exactly like a human underneath tho.

psychonaut25

Quote from: Aceburster on Jul 02, 2012, 09:28:33 AM

Suit doesnt bother me, it coulda been a raccoon in a suit for all I care. I was just hoping he would be a 20+ foot tall thing in a full suit or whatever, doing a stompy dance all over the Prometheus crew. Extra points for not looking exactly like a human underneath tho.

Not exactly like human? Well..if we are them, according to the DNA they must look very very similar like us. God made us in his image. as it is said. It would be stupid if engineers looked like greys for example. They are human. As we are,

JonesTheCat

Folks, just think of Prometheus as a reboot of the franchise - then this mess of a film can be safely ignored. :)

Highland

Quote from: JonesTheCat on Jul 02, 2012, 09:43:46 AM
Folks, just think of Prometheus as a reboot of the franchise - then this mess of a film can be safely ignored. :)

Why do people keep insisting on lumping this in with the Alien movies?

Its a tale set in the same Universe. Thats it.

It's like saying the Battle for Endor was legit and ruined the Star Wars movies.

Alien³

Quote from: JonesTheCat on Jul 02, 2012, 09:43:46 AM

Max Powers

wmmvrrvrrmm

I suppose the question about how related to one another the Space Jockey and the Engineers are perhaps could be asked again. I like the way that Cinefex magazine don't appear to be very inspired to directly state that they are one and the same in their Prometheus article

robertmartin

robertmartin

Quote from: 8thPassenger on Jul 02, 2012, 09:02:21 AM
More people need to stop bitching about the engineers as a bad thing and start talking about the films fragmented narrative and lack of character development. IMO, I think that people who liked the film and hated it can both concede that the film had those flaws with it.

This.

In my opinion, Ridley (or anybody else for that matter) can put anything they want in their film. Engineers, proto-xenos, creation of mankind, anything. Just tell the story well, preferably with some interesting and logical characters. "Fragmented narrative" was actually a very good way to put it. So for a lot of people (like myself) the problem of Prometheus is not the content (what) but rather the narrative (how).

For me, this perfectly sums up my issue with the film and how approach it. Ultimately, its a problematic film but i'll get over it. Its a film that has great concepts and questions (maybe some not appropriate, especially if you can't quite answer them). Maybe its not executed well. Maybe it is. For me, the script just needed a few more weeks in script development to iron out the problems with elements of the story and rounding off the characters better.

As for the ending - I loved it. The members of the cinema actually whooped in excitement. My only gripe is the loss of Vickers. Its clear they finished the film with a key for a sequel. And oddly enough...keeping Vickers alive...for me would've...made that key all the more better. Instead we got a Star Trek type of ending - with the ship warping into space...you almost felt the omission of Captain Janeway saying "to explore strange new life...to boldly go..." over the credits....Having Vickers alive and on the planet...with two years of life-support and yet a monster roaming the planet somehow appeals to me. One officer stays...the science officer puts on her Starfleet uniform and warps away into the ether. Me likely. 

Dorian Gray

Quote from: robertmartin on Jul 02, 2012, 02:00:31 PM

This.

For me, this perfectly sums up my issue with the film and how approach it. Ultimately, its a problematic film but i'll get over it. Its a film that has great concepts and questions (maybe some not appropriate, especially if you can't quite answer them). Maybe its not executed well. Maybe it is. For me, the script just needed a few more weeks in script development to iron out the problems with elements of the story and rounding off the characters better.

As for the ending - I loved it. The members of the cinema actually whooped in excitement. My only gripe is the loss of Vickers. Its clear they finished the film with a key for a sequel. And oddly enough...keeping Vickers alive...for me would've...made that key all the more better. Instead we got a Star Trek type of ending - with the ship warping into space...you almost felt the omission of Captain Janeway saying "to explore strange new life...to boldly go..." over the credits....Having Vickers alive and on the planet...with two years of life-support and yet a monster roaming the planet somehow appeals to me. One officer stays...the science officer puts on her Starfleet uniform and warps away into the ether. Me likely.

I originally held the same complaint as you did in regards to the ending, but after putting some thought into it - what else could she have done rather than lay there and die or live the next two years in the "life boat?"  She didn't want anybody to come find her or get her because she was afraid that they would discover the contaminant and either intentionally or unintentionally bring it back to Earth, and she couldn't return to Earth herself because (again) she was in a ship that was carrying biological weapons.  The way I see it, she really didn't have too many options.  She doesn't want to chance infecting other humans but she also doesn't want to sit around and wait to die on a barren planet.

robertmartin

robertmartin

Quote from: Dorian Gray on Jul 02, 2012, 02:18:21 PM

This.

I originally held the same complaint as you did in regards to the ending, but after putting some thought into it - what else could she have done rather than lay there and die or live the next two years in the "life boat?"  She didn't want anybody to come find her or get her because she was afraid that they would discover the contaminant and either intentionally or unintentionally bring it back to Earth, and she couldn't return to Earth herself because (again) she was in a ship that was carrying biological weapons.  The way I see it, she really didn't have too many options.  She doesn't want to chance infecting other humans but she also doesn't want to sit around and wait to die on a barren planet.

Yeah. I see your points. I dont mind Shaw going away. As i said. She needs to do what is, and perhaps has always been, her agenda. She puts on that Starfleet uniform and warps into space. I don't mind that. I woulda liked Vickers to remain on the planet. Stay in the life boat. Call the company to get her the hell outta there. Despite the awareness that a new monster is also lurking around the block. In the art of Prometheus, we see an image of the new Xeno heading out to the planet. Leaving the lifeboat. I woulda liked Vickers to "get lucky" and get on board that lifeboat - maybe with an injury or two but by chance and luck the monster runs to the remaining complexes. Leaving her to survive, secure the lifeboat and make a call out to the Company. 

In short, i just wanted to see Vickers survive.

Dorian Gray

Quote from: robertmartin on Jul 02, 2012, 02:26:54 PM
Quote from: Dorian Gray on Jul 02, 2012, 02:18:21 PM

This.

Yeah. I see your points. I dont mind Shaw going away. As i said. She needs to do what is, and perhaps has always been, her agenda. She puts on that Starfleet uniform and warps into space. I don't mind that. I woulda liked Vickers to remain on the planet. Stay in the life boat. Call the company to get her the hell outta there. Despite the awareness that a new monster is also lurking around the block. In the art of Prometheus, we see an image of the new Xeno heading out to the planet. Leaving the lifeboat. I woulda liked Vickers to "get lucky" and get on board that lifeboat - maybe with an injury or two but by chance and luck the monster runs to the remaining complexes. Leaving her to survive, secure the lifeboat and make a call out to the Company. 

In short, i just wanted to see Vickers survive.

Agreed.

robertmartin

Yay. But it was interesting as....as the movie developed it was clear the story wanted Shaw to emerge as the character the audience wanted to get behind and survive. But - i think the audience were also gunning for Vickers too and were disappointed with her death.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed