Say something you LIKE about AVPR - Aliens vs Predator: Requiem.

Started by Voodoo Magic, Dec 09, 2018, 05:55:36 PM

Author
Say something you LIKE about AVPR - Aliens vs Predator: Requiem. (Read 104,373 times)

Samhain13

Quote from: SiL on Mar 08, 2022, 08:39:35 PM
AvPR was certainly good at knowing how to take interesting scenes scenes from other movies.

It was like a homage simulator.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Samhain13 on Mar 09, 2022, 03:36:25 AM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 08, 2022, 08:39:35 PM
AvPR was certainly good at knowing how to take interesting scenes scenes from other movies.

It was like a homage simulator.

Isn't that Predators?  ;)

Corporal Hicks

Definitely the other way around.  :P Wonder if I have the will to punish myself with watching AvP and AvPR again to count the instances of homages, against Predators. I last attempted that about a decade ago, and though I still have my original drafts, I think there's some I missed in all 3.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 09, 2022, 02:13:01 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu/giphy.gif

Definitely the other way around.  :P Wonder if I have the will to punish myself with watching AvP and AvPR again to count the instances of homages, against Predators. I last attempted that about a decade ago, and though I still have my original drafts, I think there's some I missed in all 3.

Well, there are reasons why AvP Requiem doesn't have the same reputation as Predators. When it's all pulling from the same single movie with the same musical beats in the same environment, we've witnessed that it feels like retreading or aping to a portion of the audience. :)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's an erroneous reputation based on this misconception of it being a remake/repeat, but that's an entirely different argument. Just going off instances of repeated elements or story beats or simple homages, both AvP and AvPR had far more instances. On my original count it was like 13 or 14 for AvP/R (seperately) to Predators 7 or 8. Again, I could do with a proper recount if I feel like punishing myself, but that was also me adding some into Predators I think I missed.

But I also realize I'm deviating from the topic at hand here so let's get back to the intent of the topic, things we like about AvPR. I still f**king love the dual shoulder-cannons. I'd love to see them return in something. I don't think we've seen it anything other than the AvPR game?

Master Chief

Loved the dual shoulder-cannons as well.  Would be great if they tracked targets independently, when needed.

BlueMarsalis79

I liked finding it in a bargain bin at age 10 and having no idea it existed beforehand.

Kradan

On a related note, I remember as small kid seeing cover for the first AvP movie (the one with two heads on a white backdrop) in stores and thinking it was the coolest looking  thing ever  :D

BlueMarsalis79

I have watched it on the original Blu-ray, Unrated Blu-ray, North American and European but I'm happy to report a correctly graded version does exist and it's sadly none of the above. The Disney+ version actually looks alright in terms of visibility.

Apologies for the mobile quality images.

SiL

Told you! You can actually see Chet moulting.

Corporal Hicks

Cool! I'll give that a watch some point soon then!

BlueMarsalis79

Where's that Voodoo Magic when you actually compliment AVP Requiem?

Kradan

Where's he in general ?

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I'm still here, just part time here.  :)

May 22, 2022, 09:26:23 AM

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 29, 2022, 03:09:12 AM
I have watched it on the original Blu-ray, Unrated Blu-ray, North American and European but I'm happy to report a correctly graded version does exist and it's sadly none of the above. The Disney+ version actually looks alright in terms of visibility.

Apologies for the mobile quality images.

Yep! I think it was SiL who was one of the first to notice a better visibility on Star when it came to AVPR. Subsequently, there was one or two comparison videos made I believe. JoBlo released some clips too.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 29, 2022, 08:52:36 PM
Where's that Voodoo Magic when you actually compliment AVP Requiem?

Where's the compliment? Is this the compliment?

"The Disney+ version actually looks alright in terms of visibility."

Ah, hell, I'll take it!!!  ;D

Edit:
Here is the original thread!  :)

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=64779.0

Xenomorphine

I quickly scanned through it, when it came out on Disney's streaming service, here in the UK, a few weeks ago and honestly can't detect much, if any, difference to my DVD version.

EDIT: Seems Ridgetop found a video comparison and it concurs with what I had viewed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rHzAzrk9ZA

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed