Alien/Predator novels ranking

Started by jacobo1122, Nov 06, 2023, 10:27:13 AM

Author
Alien/Predator novels ranking (Read 6,331 times)

[cancerblack]

Quote from: happypred on Nov 23, 2023, 03:05:49 AM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 22, 2023, 12:07:01 PMThat's my problem with it, personally. I prefer a more mysterious and unknowable bunch of space sadists to anything that codified.

That's a perfectly reasonable preference, although I'd argue that the Yautja youngsters, or at least some of them, were a bunch of inhuman space sadists getting their kicks from slaughtering the Ryushi settlers and killing xenomorphs alike.

Sure. But I don't want to hear about their planet or culture or language to that degree, especially when it's done so uncreatively. "Mysterious" was the key word in my post.

Local Trouble

I want to see a subversion of the trope in which an alien civilization thinks that all of humanity is a rampaging warrior race because they've only ever encountered our military forces.

SM

SM

Humanity solely as consumers is increasingly more accurate.

[cancerblack]

I'm still just perplexed as to how a creature with no lips and a small, forked tongue is supposed to pronounce all those TH and W sounds Perry gave them.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 23, 2023, 11:44:37 PMSure. But I don't want to hear about their planet or culture or language to that degree, especially when it's done so uncreatively. "Mysterious" was the key word in my post.

I don't recall anything about their planet, maybe I missed it...but we get glimpses of their language and hear the main predator's inner thoughts/voice, which IIRC is the primary lens through which we see their culture

People can differ as to whether that reveals too much about them

[cancerblack]

I seem to remember something that I thought at the time was on their homeworld but may have been a ship. We're talking like 1999 here. The stuff about mating, iirc.

BlueMarsalis79

I was literally two.

Still Collating...

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 24, 2023, 12:57:06 AMI'm still just perplexed as to how a creature with no lips and a small, forked tongue is supposed to pronounce all those TH and W sounds Perry gave them.

Never thought about that! Obviously, neither did Steve. That's why you don't portray the Predators as Klingons. I never liked the Perry's take on the Predators, nor their take on the Aliens most of the time.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 24, 2023, 12:57:06 AMI'm still just perplexed as to how a creature with no lips and a small, forked tongue is supposed to pronounce all those TH and W sounds Perry gave them.
They aren't pronounced as TH and W. "Yautja" for example is supposed to be "yach-taw" (Yes I realised just used a w in pronunciation but w at the end of a word is pronounced very differently) or something. I think TH is just T.

Still dumb but he thought of that much.

Local Trouble

Can't they pronounce TH and W when they mimic human speech?

"What...the hell...are you?"

"Want some candy?"

"Motherf**ker!"

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 26, 2023, 02:05:34 AMCan't they pronounce TH and W when they mimic human speech?

"Want some candy?"

"Motherf**ker!"

Parroting vs naturally evolved speech based on the mouthparts.

SiL

SiL

I can whistle like a bird but I'm not about to talk like that.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 26, 2023, 02:05:34 AMCan't they pronounce TH and W when they mimic human speech?

"Want some candy?"

"Motherf**ker!"

I always thought these were actually recordings that they then ran through a filter to get right. In the first two films and the second in particular they make a sound I always thought was a recorder starting, like when it confronts the kid with the candy or when all the Preds confront Harrigan on the ship.

Then again though I did wonder how Fugitive did it in The Predator without his mask. It never occurred to me they actaully mimic precisely because of what cancerblack says above.

Local Trouble

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Nov 26, 2023, 07:26:59 AMThen again though I did wonder how Fugitive did it in The Predator without his mask.

Jungle Hunter did it at the end of P1 without his mask too.

SiL

SiL

Yeah it's them, not the mask.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed