[Grain Of Salt] Aliens/3/Resurrection 4K Remasters Inbound

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 23, 2021, 08:41:07 PM

Author
[Grain Of Salt] Aliens/3/Resurrection 4K Remasters Inbound (Read 38,696 times)

SiL

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 14, 2024, 09:45:05 AMThey are the director, not owner,
The owners are the ones letting him do this so...

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The corporation definitely, and that sucks, but the fault in my opinion still lies with the supervisor of each transfer whomever that might be. (For reasons I have already outlined.)

Stitch

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Mar 14, 2024, 09:33:57 AM
Quote from: Stitch on Mar 14, 2024, 09:31:36 AMI guess we'll find out whether Cameron changing the entire look of the movie (for it no longer looks like film) is justified, based on sales. If the audience votes with their wallets, we'll know if he made the right decision.

I don't know if the pleb-o-meter is the best way to judge art, even if it's inherently commercial art.
Considering it seems like the entire run of all 3 new 4K releases has sold out, I guess quality doesn't count for much.

SiL

Someone get that meme of a guy standing in a corner at a party but have him think "They don't realise their taste in movie releases is shit".

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

I will never, ever understand the mentality of the whole "it's what the director approved, so it's how it should be" crowd.

No. A thousand times no.

If you come into an art gallery and buy an oil painting of mine because it really speaks to you, you hang it on your wall, you admire it every day, you know every inch of its surface, every brush stroke, and then almost 40 years later I walk into your home, take a permanent marker draw over the outlines, and completely recolour it with some Warhammer paints to smooth out any brush strokes, and tell you "it's what I always wanted it to be", is that the painting you fell in love with? Would you have bought it in the first place had it looked this way? Should you just accept it and love it because I'm the artist and I retroactively dictate how you get to enjoying it?

Yea, older versions of 'Aliens' don't disappear on physical media (and thankfully I have almost every release)- but we are entering an age of digital media, where physical is being phased out. The Aliens I had purchased on iTunes that I enjoy via Apple TV when I'm working away (which itself had awful colour grading as it was the blu-ray version, but was still nice enough quality to enjoy) I woke up to find had disappeared and been replaced with this crap. I didn't buy this. I didn't ask for this, and I wouldn't have paid for this. This isn't ok. Apple is only able to put out the version the studio wants on there.

More to the point, if this really is how James Cameron *really* wanted the movie to look in 1986, a teal and turquoise, oversharpened, waxy mess, then this just furthers the argument that sometimes directors simply don't deserve the credit they get, if the art they produce is actually just a byproduct of what they consider 'limitations of the time'. (And to be fair, grain aside, he was more than capable of using turquoise lighting in 1986, he chose deep blues, purples, and scarlets. Its revisionism whichever way you look at it)

SiL

Who said "it's how it should be"? Nobody's said anyone has to like the new version or approve of it.

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: SiL on Mar 14, 2024, 07:42:55 PMWho said "it's how it should be"? Nobody's said anyone has to like the new version or approve of it.

Oh that wasn't directed at anyone here per se, just a general rant (I've seen this argument so many times for so many movies, especially in groups on Reddit etc) 😅 "it's the director's vision" "it's what he had always intended" "the director approved this transfer" ...to quote Gorman: "So? So what?" 🤣

Sometimes directors need saving from themselves. Cameron is completely off the rails at the minute; both T2 and Aliens 4k releases are a complete and utter travesty. Someone ought to check if he is actually ok... 😬

SM

Man, I hate when an artist comes into my house and changes the painting - the only one ever in existence - that I've had for 40 years.

Already happened twice this month and it's only the 15th.

Nukiemorph

Alright, disc in hand now. Watching on a 75" TV and getting close to scrutinize.

I don't see any issue with frame-to-frame consistency at all.

People do lose a little detail and look a a tiny bit waxy in wider shots, but I'm looking for it to nitpick. I doubt the average viewer would even notice. The shot of Vasquez doing pull-ups looks fine in motion. I can't even tell there's a loss of detail at all without switching back and forth between screencaps.

There also is still some visible grain. It's not completely scrubbed clean.

The only significant downgrade is the menus. You throw in the disc and are treated to a black screen with two small words in the center: "Play" and "Menu." If you hit "Play," the theatrical cut starts playing. You have to manually go to the main menu, go to setup, and select the extended cut. The main menu is just a still of the front cover. Gone are the elaborate animated readouts that we had on the blu-ray.

I put the anthology blu-ray in to compare some moments and honestly, I like this new transfer a lot. Go ahead and consider me part of the problem.

Prez

Quote from: Nukiemorph on Mar 16, 2024, 07:14:31 AMAlright, disc in hand now. Watching on a 75" TV and getting close to scrutinize.

I don't see any issue with frame-to-frame consistency at all.

People do lose a little detail and look a a tiny bit waxy in wider shots, but I'm looking for it to nitpick. I doubt the average viewer would even notice. The shot of Vasquez doing pull-ups looks fine in motion. I can't even tell there's a loss of detail at all without switching back and forth between screencaps.

There also is still some visible grain. It's not completely scrubbed clean.

The only significant downgrade is the menus. You throw in the disc and are treated to a black screen with two small words in the center: "Play" and "Menu." If you hit "Play," the theatrical cut starts playing. You have to manually go to the main menu, go to setup, and select the extended cut. The main menu is just a still of the front cover. Gone are the elaborate animated readouts that we had on the blu-ray.

I put the anthology blu-ray in to compare some moments and honestly, I like this new transfer a lot. Go ahead and consider me part of the problem.

Thanks for this. I've only seen the digital version and couldn't see any motion issues some others have mentioned - perhaps I don't have that keen an eye but I did like the sharpness of it all.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

SiL

Didn't load.

Prez

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 16, 2024, 09:14:40 AMhttps://i.imgur.com/tBI2W8B.gif

;D

On my deathbed, I'll have a father-son moment like Anakin did with Luke in ROTJ. I'll turn to my own son in gasped breaths saying `You tell @BlueMarsalis79 she was right. She was right'

SiL

Weird, I still don't see anything.

Gieferg

Aliens in 4K UHD is freaking abomination, I feel like vomiting my lungs out when looking at it.

I am really glad I have perfectly fine Blu-ray on my shelf.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed