Peter Weyland video ! ^^

Started by Snowdog, Feb 28, 2012, 07:16:01 PM

Author
Peter Weyland video ! ^^ (Read 150,269 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

The first one doesn't really.

Just saying. Not going to enter this mess.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 01, 2012, 04:45:31 PM
What's hard to comprehend is how this can be so when the directors of both AVP movies never envisioned them that way.

It is an immutable Law of Nature, kind of like the Conservation of Mass-Energy, that the vision of Sir Ridley Scott trumps the vision of Paul W.S. Anderson.  It is also a well accepted scientific theory that the Strause Bros. have NO vision, whatsoever.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 01, 2012, 04:37:50 PM
Let me explain myself, the AVP films have become too far rooted into the AVP franchise, Prometheus's connection to Alien is still... an enigma (I wish Ridley Scott would be more clear on whether or not the film is an Alien Prequel).  In my opinion, if a future film defies continuity of the previous films then it has clearly failed somewhere.
Holy what, where was this scathing critical eye when AvP came out?

I think that's the most mind-blowing statement you've made yet.  Truly a slap in the face to the hours and hours of discussion that people have had with you over AvP and canon in general.

You go down with the ship defending garbage films like AvP from being disregarded by Prometheus, but did you do the same for the original films, both Alien and Predator, when Anderson and Bros. shat all over the legacy that those films had created for over a decade?  Two different and great franchises, mind you?

That's just completely unbelievable.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

It's laughable. I'm telling you, I think PredXeno is a troll...that's the only way I can make ANY sense of his continual and persistent comments on the subject? ;) ;) :):)

robbritton

robbritton

Paul Anderson is to the Brothers Strause as Ridley Scott is to Paul Anderson. At least Anderson knew how to turn on the lights.

Anyway, the continuity was already riddled with inconsistencies, and as such the AVP timeline has always been alternate. The only 'proper' connection between the two franchises is the alien skull in Predator 2, and it's important to note the Alien series doesn't pay this back at all. They are seperate franchises. In the timeline Prometheus presents, 'Alien' will happen in the future, 'AVP' NEVER happened in the past - you could possibly argue that the three Predator movies exist within the universe, but it'd be utterly irrelevant.

It's not a question of quality, although god knows the two AVP films were substandard, more an immutable fact that Prometheus does not respect those movies as canon. Thus they are not canon. You're talking about a work from one of the originators of the universe - frankly, I'm sure even the AVP makers themselves would be quick to demur to it.

Prometheus IS the continuity. There is no AVP within the timeline of the original Alien series.

Pn2501

Pn2501

Oh lordy px, I suppose this is expected when you talk Prometheus at a site called avpgalaxy, it's insanity.

Vulhala

Vulhala

The AvP franchise has its own board. This isn't it.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: robbritton on Mar 01, 2012, 05:04:22 PM
Paul Anderson is to the Brothers Strause as Ridley Scott is to Paul Anderson. At least Anderson knew how to turn on the lights.

Anyway, the continuity was already riddled with inconsistencies, and as such the AVP timeline has always been alternate. The only 'proper' connection between the two franchises is the alien skull in Predator 2, and it's important to note the Alien series doesn't pay this back at all. They are seperate franchises. In the timeline Prometheus presents, 'Alien' will happen in the future, 'AVP' NEVER happened in the past - you could possibly argue that the three Predator movies exist within the universe, but it'd be utterly irrelevant.

It's not a question of quality, although god knows the two AVP films were substandard, more an immutable fact that Prometheus does not respect those movies as canon. Thus they are not canon. You're talking about a work from one of the originators of the universe - frankly, I'm sure even the AVP makers themselves would be quick to demur to it.

Prometheus IS the continuity. There is no AVP within the timeline of the original Alien series.

This post is sound, though I begrudgingly concede your Anderson comment. :laugh:

robbritton

robbritton

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 01, 2012, 05:11:24 PM
Quote from: robbritton on Mar 01, 2012, 05:04:22 PM

This post is sound, though I begrudgingly concede your Anderson comment. :laugh:

A pyrrhic victory indeed!  :D

PrometheusFire

PrometheusFire

the reasons people are using when claiming prometheus to be a prequel .........the ''exact'' same rules dictate avp to be a prequel to the entire alien and predator ( bar the new one ) ''legacy'' as you put it :) and those of you who claim the reasons as to why avp is a seperate franchise are the exact same reasons why i say prometheus is its own franchise........however.......all 4 franchises.......i.e alien, predator, alien vs predator and prometheus all have connecting points that do allow for all of them to exist in the same universe........i think somebody should come up with a name for the entire alien,predator,avp and prometheus universe and put all this hate and teeny angst behind us........
lets unite :)

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: Vulhala on Mar 01, 2012, 05:09:48 PM
The AvP franchise has its own board. This isn't it.

Yeah It might but I haven't seen this level of avp autusim anywhere else in any other Prometheus related comunity, it's good for the lulz I suppose.

robbritton

robbritton

Shall we call it 'The Incompatible Muddle'?

Vulhala

Vulhala

Enough of the canon arguments in this thread already.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 29, 2012, 11:48:01 AM
That's not why a lot of us are criticizing him. His performance is OTT and totally hammy. It plays almost like a parody of an arrogant businessman. Again, this is probably the fault of Jake Scott for either not reigning him, not giving a crap, or just having no time to do multiple takes. As it stands, the viral vid has some serious camp fumes coming off it. I don't expect the film to share that, but it's a bit worrying.

Thank you. This was precisely my point.

Compare this performance to even the actors, like I said, who were only on screen for a few minutes in 'Aliens', all meant to be from either Weyland-Yutani or bodies which they were clearly linked to. You don't even have to go to Burke. Those actors were nowhere near the presumed pay-grade of Guy Pearce, but compare his Weyland to them. Which performances come across more like people you'd expect to fit in with the 'verse?

I'm not saying it shouldn't have been a speech, but it come across utterly fake.

And I wouldn't care, usually, but this was a character who is in the main film from the same actor. That's what makes this slightly concerning.

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 29, 2012, 12:31:12 PM
The character clearly prides himself on being an Englishman, hence the TS Lawrence namedrop. It's just a bad accent. It's forced, his natural Aussie comes through and steamrolls things left and right, like when Nicole Kidman tries to do any kind of accent--but she manages to pass it off. He doesn't.

But whatever. Clearly I'm in the minority on this.

The forced accent was obvious in my view, too, for what it's worth. Whether that was due to him trying to 'sound aristocratic' or because he's not got much experience with British accents, is open to question.

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Feb 29, 2012, 03:29:51 PM
I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but Guy Pearce was invoking John Hurt that whole time. Maybe it was that time he spent with him during the filming of The Proposition. Nice touch.

He was channelling a James Mason impression, not John Hurt!

Seriously... Watch the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUxdAWrsag8#ws

Now compare it to these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m5N78k1dpw#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqlE2iQByRk#

Now tell me you can't hear the similarities. :)

Peter Weyland = Captain Nemo! We shall see a Space Jockey as the giant squid being fought upon the decks of the Nautilus, um... Prometheus! :D

dxdt

dxdt

Guy Pearce is clearly channeling Ridley Scott himself here. Something about the eyes, and that head move after "We are the gods now." As if to say, "There. Let that sink in. Did I just blow your mind?"  :laugh:

So if Peter Weyland is Ridley Scott (at least here), does that lend yet another layer of relevance to the Prometheus myth?

Quote from: Peter_WeylandThe poor man was tied to a rock as an eagle ripped through his belly and ate his liver. Over and over. Day after Day. Ad Infinitum.

Bit of a jab at Alien sequels?  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed