Aliens 30th Anniversary: The Original Comics Series (Original Dark Horse sequel)

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 16, 2015, 06:20:23 PM

Author
Aliens 30th Anniversary: The Original Comics Series (Original Dark Horse sequel) (Read 41,258 times)

Perfect-Organism

Man, that's what I'm talking about!  Good riddance Wilks and Billie!

Russ840

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 17, 2015, 11:48:30 AM

Sing it brother

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 17, 2015, 10:44:34 AM
Didn't pick up Salvation. I really ought to.

I agree, you should. It was a very good stand-alone story.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ840 on Nov 17, 2015, 12:18:58 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 17, 2015, 11:48:30 AM

Sing it brother

They're not that bad. They were just Hicks and Newt after all!  :P

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Nov 17, 2015, 12:19:40 PM

I've read the story before. Just don't have the new fancy pants release.

Russ840

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Nov 17, 2015, 12:19:40 PM

Would you agree that although titled 'Aliens', it had a more 'Alien' feel to it ?

Whiskeybrewer

I will be buying this. Glad they are re-releasing the original version :) Hope they release Book 2 as well

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Corporal Hicks link=topic=53549.msg2085002#msg2085002 date=1447762844
quote author=XenoHunter99 link=topic=53549.msg2085000#msg2085000 date=1447762780]

I've read the story before. Just don't have the new fancy pants release.
[/quote]

Haha! Fancy pants new releases... Hmmm, I have old originals of all that. I'm not buying new editions unless there is a very compelling reason to do that.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 17, 2015, 02:33:22 PMI do hope they actually re-use the original blue cover that was designed by Mark A. Nelson.

There's literally a picture of the cover art at the start of this thread, and it's not that.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

What I found was amazing about this book was that although it covered a large swath of epic events such as the infestation of earth and a visit to the home-world and an encounter with the original elephant-nosed Alien, the book never fails to be very personal and rooted in the lives of the main characters.  From Stephens, to Massey, to Salvaje, and to Hicks and Newt, each character is given just the right amount of character development to make them compelling and believable.  It is not easy to make such an epic tale so personable, but Verheiden and Nelson did it.  How I wished 25 years ago that this was the direction that the next Aliens film would take, but all is not lost.  There is still time to do a story with Ripley, Newt, and Hicks, though it would be great if it tied in seamlessly to the epic Prometheus prequels.  Tick tock, tick tock.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 17, 2015, 02:40:04 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 17, 2015, 02:33:22 PMI do hope they actually re-use the original blue cover that was designed by Mark A. Nelson.

There's literally a picture of the cover art at the start of this thread, and it's not that.

And you know for a fact that there is no slip cover that goes over this?  I would actually be surprised if they just put out a book like this with a black and white hard cover.  While that is one of the best pictures of the Alien in the book, iconic in fact, I don't think that a black and white cover like this is particularly attractive.  I doubt that they will re-use the old blue cover, but I hope they don't lust leave the black and white cover for the book.  It really needs a better slip cover.

Actually one of the few disappointing things about the Fire and Stone hardcover was that a slip cover was not included.  That seems like an unusual practice for a hard-cover volume.  I hope that is not the case with this Aliens Book One reprint.  But it will be a blast to see this as over-sized.

Russ840

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 17, 2015, 02:47:39 PM
What I found was amazing about this book was that although it covered a large swath of epic events such as the infestation of earth and a visit to the home-world and an encounter with the original elephant-nosed Alien, the book never fails to be very personal and rooted in the lives of the main characters.  From Stephens, to Massey, to Salvaje, and to Hicks and Newt, each character is given just the right amount of character development to make them compelling and believable.  It is not easy to make such an epic tale so personable, but Verheiden and Nelson did it.  How I wished 25 years ago that this was the direction that the next Aliens film would take, but all is not lost.  There is still time to do a story with Ripley, Newt, and Hicks, though it would be great if it tied in seamlessly to the epic Prometheus prequels.  Tick tock, tick tock.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 17, 2015, 02:40:04 PM

And you know for a fact that there is no slip cover that goes over this?  I would actually be surprised if they just put out a book like this with a black and white hard cover.  While that is one of the best pictures of the Alien in the book, iconic in fact, I don't think that a black and white cover like this is particularly attractive.  I doubt that they will re-use the old blue cover, but I hope they don't lust leave the black and white cover for the book.  It really needs a better slip cover.

Actually one of the few disappointing things about the Fire and Stone hardcover was that a slip cover was not included.  That seems like an unusual practice for a hard-cover volume.  I hope that is not the case with this Aliens Book One reprint.  But it will be a blast to see this as over-sized.

I'm the opposite in that respect. I hate dust jackets. I also like the black and white look. I'm sure with the quality that dark horse put out it will look class

Perfect-Organism

Well to each his own about the dust jacket.  It's really a minor issue.  I'm just glad that this series is getting some proper attention and a good treatment after all these years.  So happy to see that things came full circle and Billie and Wilks are out.

Russ840

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 17, 2015, 04:37:23 PM
Well to each his own about the dust jacket.  It's really a minor issue.  I'm just glad that this series is getting some proper attention and a good treatment after all these years.  So happy to see that things came full circle and Billie and Wilks are out.

On that we agree lol. Nice analysis of the series in in your previous post by the way. Well put and also agreed.

Whiskeybrewer

The Blue cover from the limited Hardcover of the original release was the cover of the TPB anyway wasn't it? if so then its interesting they are doing a new cover for this Anniversary edition

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed