New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director!

Started by Whos_Nick, Nov 20, 2020, 08:19:51 PM

Author
New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director! (Read 120,542 times)

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 21, 2020, 02:13:18 AM
What do you mean?
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 21, 2020, 01:46:17 AM
From the sound if it, this wasn't going to be marketed as a Predator movie right off the bat. It probably would have had a trailer or two with the "Skulls" title and some obscured monster action, before eventually revealing, at some point before the film's with a viral marketing campaign that culminates in a final trailer, that it is a Predator film and dropping the "true" title.
This shit. Cloverfield movies love doing it because they're usually not meant to be Cloverfield and just get the label slapped on last second. I don't see any benefit to building hype around an otherwise unknown project and then dumping the true title when it's almost too late to get people interested (and while I have no numbers on hand I don't feel the films that have done this have particularly benefited).

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 21, 2020, 01:46:17 AM
From the sound if it, this wasn't going to be marketed as a Predator movie right off the bat. It probably would have had a trailer or two with the "Skulls" title and some obscured monster action, before eventually revealing, at some point before the film's with a viral marketing campaign that culminates in a final trailer, that it is a Predator film and dropping the "true" title.

I actually would be very thrilled with this approach. Even with naming the film simply "Skulls" without even having Predator in the title, I've been personally pushing for that kind of alternative branding for a while now.

SiL

Alternate branding is fine, misleading about the subject, nah.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Nov 21, 2020, 03:07:02 AM
Alternate branding is fine, misleading about the subject, nah.

Scary monster slasher movie revealed to be scary monster slasher Predator movie? Nah. there's nothing misleading about it, especially when it's revealed prior to its theatrical release.

SiL

Generic monster movie revealed to be incredibly popular monster franchise movie?

What's the point?

Voodoo Magic

Who decided generic? Trailer looks awesome and generates interest before, it can help carry over after.

Marketing. Hype. Relaunching. Refreshing.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Nov 21, 2020, 03:15:15 AM
Generic monster movie revealed to be incredibly popular monster franchise movie?

What's the point?

Gotta agree here.

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 21, 2020, 03:19:23 AM
Who decided generic?
Generic as in not a "name brand" monster.

If you want to generate marketing and hype for a Predator movie, market and hype a Predator movie. Why waste weeks or months of marketing on what, to the public, is a nondescript project only to reveal a big name later?

Gr33n M4n

I want PREDATOR in the title.

Highland

Doesn't need to have Predator in the title. I'm with Sil though, that BS is a waste of time those trailers , particularly 5 movies deep.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Highland on Nov 21, 2020, 03:35:19 AM
Doesn't need to have Predator in the title. I'm with Sil though, that BS is a waste of time those trailers , particularly 5 movies deep.

See Prometheus. ;)

Also...

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 21, 2020, 03:19:23 AM
Marketing. Hype. Relaunching. Refreshing.

Nightmare Asylum

It was appropriate in Prometheus' case because, while it was the same world as the Alien films, it was a new story not featuring the capital-A Alien.

Once they decided to shift gears in the sequel and redirect it into a more direct prequel to the original film, the "Alien" returned to the title and we got Alien: Covenant.

With Predator sure, you can call it "Skulls" or whatever, but Predator doesn't really offer a world in the way that Alien does. There are stories in the Alien universe that you can tell without the Alien. In the Predator universe though? You really aren't doing much of anything without featuring a Predator, and at that rate, you might as well use the name in the title.

SiL

SiL

Prometheus was always an Alien prequel ??? It wasn't ever a secret. The first trailer showed the juggernaut and the Engineer getting into the flight suit. It was always advertised and talked about as an Alien prequel. It was always known the project was an Alien movie.

Like was said; rebrand, cool. Misdirect, no.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Nov 21, 2020, 03:52:00 AM
Prometheus was always an Alien prequel ??? It wasn't ever a secret. The first trailer showed the juggernaut and the Engineer getting into the flight suit.

It wasn't hidden as Split was a sequel to Unbreakable, but many people didn't know the ships / space jockey well enough to realize Alien was connected to Prometheus. It looked like just a cool sc-fi movie. And I personally know two of them that went to the theater on the strength of the trailer and cast alone without any clue it was tied to Alien. We've discussed it many times in these forums.

Gr33n M4n

Prometheus didn't have the Alien in it, and it was centered more around the Space Jockey. I was okay with Prometheus going without Alien in the title.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed