Did you feel Alien Universe better before Prometheus?

Started by Drukathi, Mar 24, 2019, 11:08:41 AM

Did you feel?

Yes.
41 (47.7%)
No.
45 (52.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author
Did you feel Alien Universe better before Prometheus? (Read 33,562 times)

The Old One

The Old One

https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Prometheus_deleted_scenes
Skin.

They both got different dosages, again- leading to the same result as the decapitated Engineer according to the commentary.

Perhaps a Neomorph or several existed during the LV-223 outbreak.
We don't know the outbreak chronology.

We do know the Deacon's "scream" is heard during the Pyramid Hologram activation,
but as the heartbeat, perhaps diegetic or non-diegetic.

[cancerblack]

Voted "no" because I like the majority of what the prequels bring to the table, and I never took Dallas' comments about age in the original seriously because he's a tugboat driver not a paleontologist.

Huggs

I'm not sure his lack of credentials mattered much to the audience.

Something looks old, odds are it's old.

My old man saw the movie in theaters, and as far as he was concerned, it was ages old. I believe that was the narrative intent at the time. And dallas' fossil dialogue was likely meant to steer the audience into believing that.

SM

Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Apr 09, 2019, 07:43:15 PM
Voted "no" because I like the majority of what the prequels bring to the table, and I never took Dallas' comments about age in the original seriously because he's a tugboat driver not a paleontologist.

Yep.

Huggs

Within the body of that tugboat captain lies the heart and mind of a true paleontologist.

David Weyland

Alas the Nostromo wasn't kitted out with carbon daters....the condition of the SJ could just as easily have come about by way of a thermonuclear explosion, chemical reaction, white goo etc etc

SM

One of the many pieces I wrote for a long defunct project was a transcript of a conversation between Ash and Dallas where Dallas gives eye witness testimony as to what happened after the video feed cut out, and Ash requests to be part of a second expedition to do more investigation and Dallas flat out refuses.

A actual scientific opinion could've thrown a spanner into Ridley's ideas.  :)

PsyKore

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 10, 2019, 12:02:29 AM
I'm not sure his lack of credentials mattered much to the audience.

Something looks old, odds are it's old.

My old man saw the movie in theaters, and as far as he was concerned, it was ages old. I believe that was the narrative intent at the time. And dallas' fossil dialogue was likely meant to steer the audience into believing that.

Yeah, you don't need credentials to recognise something looks fossilised or is really old. It's only since the prequels came along that it became a discussion. Before that I don't remember it being talked about much, if at all.

SM

It wasn't an issue before Prometheus.

Monster Man

Anyone who's ever read the script for Alien: Engineers, was it a better alternative to what we got in Prometheus?

The Old One

The Old One

Subjective.
The characters are smarter and the chronology is tighter (direct Alien connection) but Spaihts and Lindelof are about the same level of talent for dialogue honestly.

It's lost potential regardless.

irn

I voted "Yes" because I believe Prometheus near enough destroyed the Alien Universe. It took something that was "alien" and made it a lot closer to home with extremely far-fetched ideas that would fit more in Star Trek than a well grounded, realistic film series like Alien.

Highland

Depends what you mean. Was it better in my head - yes, but so was Star Wars.

Very few works can ever successfully lift whats inside (most) fans head. Peter Jackson with LOTR is probably the only example I can think of where I thought - yeah, thats it, that's what it is. Nailed it.

bobby brown

In my headcanon, I see it as two different alien series. Make how many prequels you want Ridley, You can't change what I have been appreciating and speculating about for 20 years.

However, They made 4 of these movies plus two spin-offs, before they got around making these. You have to make up new stuff and lore, what otherwise the point of continuing the series?

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Monster Man on Apr 10, 2019, 04:28:51 AM
Anyone who's ever read the script for Alien: Engineers, was it a better alternative to what we got in Prometheus?

Despite making the Derelict crash a recent event I liked it more, I hate the goo things from Prometheus and liked the creatures and ideas on the script. Octo-Facehugger/Belugamorphs aka the natural aliens, Ultramorph. On Prometheus they kept the main plot points(which I didn't like) from that script while replacing the aliens with goo crap.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed