Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 748,700 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Jul 17, 2019, 01:10:06 PM
Yes, and David never says "I created the Alien" but it heavily implies it through action and dialogue, "I've found perfection here, I've created it." Etcetera.
David explains his entire process.

Ripley says she had a "terrible nightmare" without explaining what the nightmare was. It could've been anything.

They're not analogous at all.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

You really think it's a coincidence that the opening essentially showed something, that couldn't possibly be reality and Ripley recalls a nightmare later on?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Jul 17, 2019, 01:20:35 PM
You really think it's a coincidence that the opening essentially showed something, that couldn't possibly be reality and Ripley recalls a nightmare later on?
The film makes zero effort to connect Ripley's line with the opening, so yes.

The filmmakers didn't sit there thinking "Let's show something whacky and impossible!" They tried to show how the Alien got to the planet, which was missing from the film originally. They intended it to be literal.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

I don't think the line has no connective tissue to the opening. I think it's direct.
And I don't see why intention is relevant.

SiL

SiL

"I had a nightmare" =/= "I had a nightmare [that was suspiciously similar to what you saw at the beginning of the movie]".

"I had a nightmare" is suggestive, not definitive.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Jul 17, 2019, 11:14:04 AMIt's kinda hypocritical of you, for instance arguing -David is the creator and no room for interpretation exists but when given an answer you don't like you'll scream and flail your hands and feet like the rest of 'em.

Was that directed at me?  ???

Quote from: Drukathi on Jul 17, 2019, 12:55:03 PM
So.
Cryotubes.
Magic Egg.
Sulaco colors.
Ripley's hallucinations.
Ripley's transmission from Nostromo.

Yep. It's cryo-nightmare.

Pretty definitive.

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Jul 17, 2019, 01:10:06 PM
And that's not a Hallucination Drukathi,
the Alien just moved. Occam's razor.

While she was staring directly at it?  ???

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Only partially.
And she closes her eyes when she jabs at it.

Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2019, 01:34:27 PM
"I had a nightmare" =/= "I had a nightmare [that was suspiciously similar to what you saw at the beginning of the movie]".

"I had a nightmare" is suggestive, not definitive.

In light of the Egg being in a place it couldn't possibly be, I'd say with the information you're given solely by the film it's a tad more than suggestion.

SiL

SiL

Where is the egg?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Jul 17, 2019, 01:45:24 PM
Only partially.
And she closes her eyes when she jabs at it.

And...what?  It teleported to the ceiling pipes behind her and left a vaguely alien-shaped pipe in its place?  :laugh:

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

I mean, it did in Dead Orbit- although Ripley's having constant nosebleeds and I wouldn't be surprised if she has hemorrhaging and did in fact hallucinate the Alien being there, maybe- more likely it's just intended to cheaply fool the audience by showing an Alien there but then saying, nah it wasn't there at all. Doesn't matter what you saw.
Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2019, 01:47:07 PM
Where is the egg?
On the Sulaco apparently, judging by the stenciling right next to it, hidden away in a corner somewhere.

SiL

SiL

More likely it's intended to show she hallucinated the Alien was there and only snapped out of it when she whacked the pipe.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Jul 17, 2019, 01:57:52 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2019, 01:47:07 PM
Where is the egg?

On the Sulaco apparently, judging by the stenciling right next to it, hidden away in a corner somewhere.

And there's a perfectly good theory for how it got there.  Assuming the whole movie wasn't a dream, that is...

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Suggested when within the film?

You only wish the film was a dream and Earth War was the real film lmao.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I never said it was suggested in the film or even declared that it was a prerequisite.

Nah, Earth War sucked.  I'd replace Alien 3 with something better than that.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

But it is a prerequisite? I'm talking about the film, not the W-Y Report, Colonial Marines, Isolation- or whatever else.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed