Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 193,848 times)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 02, 2016, 01:18:26 AM
I need a defiance fix bad, I can't wait for the next issue to come out.

Gotta love Tristan's work.

If I understand correctly, Tristan is not involved with issue 3.  I hope I'm wrong but...

Prez

Prez

Do we have an exact date for Issue 3 yet?

I thought it was meant to be this week.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 02, 2016, 05:48:19 AMIf I understand correctly, Tristan is not involved with issue 3.

Issues 3 & 4 are a different artist (Riccardo Burchielli) because they're flashbacks, apparently.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 02, 2016, 05:48:19 AMI hope I'm wrong but...

I don't see why it's anything to worry about. It's not like Tristen won't be back for issue 5.

Quote from: Prez on Aug 02, 2016, 07:01:36 AMDo we have an exact date for Issue 3 yet?

August 17. Good news is issue 4 will follow on the 31st!

Corporal Hicks

Tristan isn't doing 3 and 4 to allow him to get ahead with the other issues he's doing. It's pretty SOP for comics so nothing to worry about.

Corporal Hicks

https://twitter.com/ChatFlixPodcast/status/763307306146639872

Tristan is featured on this podcast. It comes out tomorrow.

Nostromo

Cool, thx. Would be nice to get him on an AvP Galaxy podcast in the future. He also mentioned recently he'd like to start doing his own writing.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nostromo on Aug 10, 2016, 04:01:00 PM
Cool, thx. Would be nice to get him on an AvP Galaxy podcast in the future. He also mentioned recently he'd like to start doing his own writing.

I messaged him a while back but he didn't reply. I think he's probably just really busy. I've not really seen him do many podcast.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Yea for sure.

BTW, preview of Issue 3 Aliens: Defiance is up:

https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/29-852/Aliens-Defiance-3

Loving the art & colors, cover is mediocre. Nice corridors jeez..

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Well, the new artist Riccardo Burchielli is definitely emulating what Tristan did.  The results are better than I expected.  I think of it less as a copying a style, and more as maintaining the look of the book.  I actually thought perhaps Mark A. Nelson might have done a few issues since he did an alt cover for the first issue (which would have exceeded my expectations), but this is pretty good.  You can see the lines have that squiggly detaily effect that we've come to love, but the main difference is the line weight.  It is now thicker.  It may mean that the drawings are done at a different scale?  I don't know.

It is likely that there are perspective references and style references from the video game.  Not at all a bad thing in my opinion.

I like the black framing of the panels better than the white.  It maintains the ominous look and feels like you're reading in the dark.

Bottom line is that I was worried about this issue and now I am not.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 02, 2016, 08:14:08 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 02, 2016, 05:48:19 AMIf I understand correctly, Tristan is not involved with issue 3.

Issues 3 & 4 are a different artist (Riccardo Burchielli) because they're flashbacks, apparently.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 02, 2016, 05:48:19 AMI hope I'm wrong but...

I don't see why it's anything to worry about. It's not like Tristen won't be back for issue 5.

Quote from: Prez on Aug 02, 2016, 07:01:36 AMDo we have an exact date for Issue 3 yet?

August 17. Good news is issue 4 will follow on the 31st!

I want to have good stylistic continuity in the series.  That's what I was worried about.  But it looks like they're keeping the look.

I wonder why the android is wearing glasses though...

Oh wait, here's my no-prize... they made him like that because you pleople are more comfortable interacting with your own kind.  If he didn't wear the glasses, it would defeat the purpose.

Not!

Well in that case, the Joes would also be wearing space suits in space.  Hey come on, these are Working Joes.  Maybe these Working Joes are trying to transcend their limitations to become something more.  Maybe this is a reflection of their abandoning their mission?  He's wearing the glasses to look less like a robot.  Ehem, he prefers the term artificial person himself.  Oh, there's my no-prize.

Nostromo

They're making you guys pretty close..(to humans)...not too close, I hope.  ;D

Something I found from a page I like:

https://twitter.com/tyrannojones/status/763156689272971264

SpreadEagleBeagle

My favorite Alien design of them all (including the movies) is the way Killian Plunkett envisions them (as in Labyrinth), but I must say that this Tristan guy is doing a damn fine job too. Actually, I love his drawing style, at least based on the panels we've seen so far. As I said before I wished that there would be more black-and-white comics in the Alien franchise And Tristan's artwork would've been perfect for it. But I guess that there is no big demand for b&w comics these days when it comes to franchises like this one. Anyways, great job - looking forward to the release.

windebieste

Oh... Nice.

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

I love how much Defiance references Isolation. It gives it a real sense of visual continuity. Say what we will of some of the finer points of the recent releases but that sense of continuity is something I've missed for a long time. Very glad it's back!

The interview with Tristan is up! Just about to listen. http://chatflixpodcast.com.au/episode-9-aliens/ or if you want the direct link: http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/8/9/e/89eb664891a39a25/Aliens_Master_1.mp3

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 10, 2016, 06:26:36 PM
Well, the new artist Riccardo Burchielli is definitely emulating what Tristan did. 

You think? I thought the style was so notably not Tristan. I do like it though. Couldn't tell you why though, as I'm finding it so very different.

tyrannosaurusjones

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 10, 2016, 04:38:33 PM
Quote from: Nostromo on Aug 10, 2016, 04:01:00 PM

I messaged him a while back but he didn't reply. I think he's probably just really busy. I've not really seen him do many podcast.

Sorry about that! It's been nuts on my end for personal and profesh reasons... email me at tristan dot h dot jones at gmail dot com!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed